Solved Backup scheduling suggestions
We ran our first full delta backup of our cabinet over the weekend and all went as planned. We will only be able to test the delta backups this weekend (as the base was made now) but we have some have some questions:
- Some VM's we would like to backup daily, and some over the weekend. Currently we only have the 1 backup scheduled (to run on a Saturday). One way to achieve this would be to remove "daily" backup VM's from the weekend schedule and create one dedicated to daily, but this would mean we will need to manually make sure a VM is added to either of the 2 schedules when we create the VM (currently we use smart backups to select the hypervisors and not the individual backups)
- Does the backups overlap eachother? All of our backups are written to a single storage server but obviously over NFS things can get a bit slow. Should we try and schedule backups in different timeslots or do they backup after eachother (although scheduled to start at 1am, it will only start if there isnt another one running)
- Lastly, we have some large VM's that we want to use CD but these are also backed up each saturday. I assume that CD is hypervisor > hypervisor. Can CD work from the backup server as source and not the hypervisor. Just want to understand what is the best suggestion again looking at load etc?
- Job's schedules backup all VMs, so, you need to create two jobs to do that.
- Backups are executed in parallel, so you need to distance their executions to ensure that they will not overload your NFS remote.
For the third point, you want to backup VMs using a live ISO? What do you expect as backup behavior? Thank you
@badraz, thank you
- I see the confusion, I did not mean CD as in Compact Disk but rather Continuous Deployment, which in hindsight I now see I meant to say Continuous Replication I however think I know the answer, it will need to be a 3rd backup and I need to apply some logic to ensure NFS is not overloaded.
Last question, are all these backups independant? Say I backup a VM as part of my daily backups but also weekly, will this have 2 different backup sets on the remote?
Indeed, all backups are independent. Each execution results on a backup and only removes its created backups regarding the retention.
@badraz perfect thank you! Answered all my questions!