⚠ : Remember, this is a beta version. Do not use it in a production environment!
How to upgrade
XCP-ng 8.1 is a minor upgrade, which means you can use the
yum upgrade method OR download the
Download files are available here:
- Standard ISO: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.1/xcp-ng-8.1.0-beta.iso
- Net-install ISO: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.1/xcp-ng-8.1.0-beta-netinstall.iso
- SHA256SUMS: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.1/SHA256SUMS
- Signatures of the sums: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.1/SHA256SUMS.asc
If you want a more complete "How to Upgrade" guide, use our documentation
What's new in XCP-ng 8.1
XCP-ng 8.1 is based on the latest Citrix Hypervisor 8.1 release. The CentOS version (7.5) and the kernel version (4.19) are still the same.
New version of Xen Hypervisor
The Xen version in XCP-ng 8.1 is now Xen 4.13
UEFI support in XCP-ng 8.1 is not experimental anymore.
⚠ Support for Secure Boot is not included because it relies on Proprietary packages. We're currently investigating ways to deliver a FOSS implementation of this feature.
Improved performance for VM imports and exports
Thanks to the use of a new hash algorithm, VM imports and exports will benefit from improved performance when using the XVA format.
Ext4 filesystem is the new default ext type
For new local storage repositories using the EXT filesystem, it now defaults to
ext4. The transition from our experimental
ext4 storage driver is not automatic so you still need the
sm-additional-drivers package if you have such a local storage repository. We will try to provide an automated conversion from the
ext4 experimental driver to the
ext driver for the RC (release candidate) release of XCP-ng. If we can't, we'll document the transition.
- Support for AMD EPYC 7xx2(P) processors added
- Support for PV guests is now deprecated - templates for creating PV guests have been removed.
While existing PV guests will still run, it is advised to convert them to HVM guests.
- Dynamic Memory Control (DMC) is deprecated and will be removed in the future.
- VSS and quiesced snapshot support is removed
For backups, we are working on a RAM backup feature in order to replace quiesce snapshot in some situations (Windows DB, Active Directory backup...).
XFS and ZFS support
Support for XFS in local storage repositories is still available through the
sm-additional-drivers package. ZFS is still available as an additional package and updated to 0.8.2. We may update to 0.8.3 for the RC release of XCP-ng.
Zstd compression is available in XCP-ng 8.1 with updated packages. If you want to know more about zstd compression in XCP-ng, read this blogpost.