What is what: XCP-ng, XCP-ng Center, XenOrchestra, XOA, Vates
borzel XCP-ng Center Team 🏚️
to avoid more and more confusion about the pieces of the XCP-ng Universe, I'll try to describe what is what.
The Hypervisor, the Host, the Virtualisation Server: XCP-ng
This is the thing you install on bare hardware, it consists of:
- the XEN kernel
- Dom0 - the management domain (it's basicaly a highly custom CentOS with drivers, various services and some glue logic)
- DomU - the VMs, the virtual machines, the things you virtualize
It's exact the same concept like CITRIX XenServer or CITRIX Hypervisor. XCP-ng is derived from them. Something like a fork, but not so hard.
The basic management software, the windows client, the thing with the tree: XCP-ng Center
- community project
- some help from Vates
It's derived from CITRIX XenCenter.
The advanced management software, the web client, the backup solution and more: XenOrchestra
- commercial product from Vates
- community driven
- can be build from sources with all pro features enabled
- only community support
It's not derived from anything (as far as I know).
The ready to use XenOrchestra, the appliance: XOA
- single line to install on XCP-ng
- can be licenced with pro features and pro support from Vates
- is a ready to use VM
The company behind: Vates
Olivier Lambert and his company Vates startet all the jazz. They provide pro support for XCP-ng (the host) and XenOrchestra. They help to sign XCP-ng Center and the XCP-ng Windows Client Tools (and drivers) with an proper EV certificate.