XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Strange issue with booting XCP-NG

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Compute
    85 Posts 9 Posters 65.5k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T
      tony
      last edited by

      I'm not sure it will work, depends on the type of dongle, but doesn't hurt to try.

      ? 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • ?
        A Former User @tony
        last edited by

        @tony Well I just tried it to keep the dongle in but this gives me the same problem that I cannot connect to XCP-NG. The problem is I also cannot see what is going wrong, as when I plugin my monitor inside the dongle, XCP-NG will boot. But without the monitor screen it wont. It is a strange problem though...

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • T
          tony
          last edited by

          @Appollonius the dongle is probably just a physical pin converter then. Does your host have on-board graphics? Do you have another GPU to try, preferably AMD so we can narrow down the issue.

          If you have another host that can run syslog server then you can try remote syslog.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • ?
            A Former User
            last edited by

            Thanks for the suggestions Tony, unfortunately I dont have an AMD GPU nor another host. I think I will just leave the Quadro card out of it for now until there will be an fix for this. I don't know if there is a fix planned? Or will this be something that will stay with XCP-NG forever?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • T
              tony
              last edited by

              @Appollonius there will probably be a fix for this since many people use nVidia GPUs, if they can pinpoint the issue. Since this isn't solved by using gpumon like other cases, they'll need help testing the solution with feedback from people like you who have the problem.

              ? 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • ?
                A Former User @tony
                last edited by

                @tony Well apparently it has something to do with the input. So when I connect the dongle to my monitor it does properly startup. Though when I disconnect the monitor it does not. So in my opinion it has something to do with input, though I will try to find the service/proces that is handling this.

                R 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  r1 XCP-ng Team @Guest
                  last edited by r1

                  @Appollonius Your kern.log should be able to tell more. Can you boot without and with, and share that file?

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • ?
                    A Former User
                    last edited by

                    Hello @r1 I will send you the kern.log file today, when I finish this document I will try and get the kern.log for you 🙂

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • ?
                      A Former User
                      last edited by

                      I am still curious whether or not this is being worked on as I have an Nvidia quadro P400 which is now laying on my desk doing nothing but gathering dust because when I put it in my Server without video output I cannot even use the server because xcp-ng does not properly boot.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • R
                        r1 XCP-ng Team
                        last edited by

                        @Appollonius can you edit the grub config and remove console=vga vga=mode-0x0311 from multiboot2 /boot/xen.gz line and report back?

                        ? 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • ?
                          A Former User @r1
                          last edited by [[global:former-user]]

                          @r1 As it looks now, this unfortunately did not solve the issue. Though I will send you the recent kern.log data. Is there something I need to configure in the BIOS to be able to boot properly with XCP-NG with a GPU?

                          Here is the paste of the recent boot, from timestamp 18:18 is the boot periode with the graphics card:
                          https://pastebin.com/TDA8FcQW

                          I can narrow the issue down a bit more, when I have no monitor connected XCP-NG/Xenserver will not boot. But with monitor connected to the GPU then it will boot. So it has something to do with the display I think.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • R
                            r1 XCP-ng Team
                            last edited by

                            @Appollonius they are still pretty same. So this means that there is no issue for system to boot (with or without GPU) but must be something to do with network config.

                            Can you check if you have something in /var/log/xensource.log indicating a service failure/network start fail?

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • ?
                              A Former User
                              last edited by

                              I dont see any failed services, though I have a question. The nvidia GPU (Quadro P400), do I have to configure Passthrough first? Maybe that could be the problem, as when I look into the host GPU's now it does not detect the GPU at all...

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • R
                                r1 XCP-ng Team
                                last edited by

                                @Appollonius if you are using that GPU in a VM, yes, you need to enable passthrough for that pci id.

                                ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • ?
                                  A Former User @r1
                                  last edited by

                                  @r1 Well I will be in the future, but XCP-NG does not detect a GPU at all. Maybe that could be the cause of this issue? Atleast I think, as I see no GPU's listed in XCP-NG Center.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • R
                                    r1 XCP-ng Team
                                    last edited by

                                    @Appollonius check # lspci -k or # lshw -c display

                                    ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • ?
                                      A Former User @r1
                                      last edited by [[global:former-user]]

                                      @r1 said in Strange issue with booting XCP-NG:

                                      lshw -c display

                                      lshw -c display
                                        *-display UNCLAIMED       
                                             description: VGA compatible controller
                                             product: GP107GL [Quadro P400]
                                             vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                                             physical id: 0
                                             bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
                                             version: a1
                                             width: 64 bits
                                             clock: 33MHz
                                             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
                                             configuration: latency=0
                                             resources: memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff
                                      

                                      This is what I see, so I it does see that its there but for some reason it does not see the card in XCP-NG Center.

                                      Ohh wait, is that the Nvidia 'driver' problem? Which AMD cards dont have?

                                      In XO it does see the graphics card, so happy about that. Now I am still curious why it does not boot properly when the NVidia GPU is plugged in.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • R
                                        r1 XCP-ng Team
                                        last edited by

                                        @Appollonius no, pci pass through does not need device drivers to be present in dom0. Try XOA to administer.

                                        ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • ?
                                          A Former User @r1
                                          last edited by

                                          @r1 Well it is now even stranger than. So the host detects the GPU, but without monitor input it will just not boot... hmmm

                                          T 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • T
                                            tuxen Top contributor @Guest
                                            last edited by

                                            @Appollonius check the BIOS for display emulation or ACPI configuration. Some boards may refuse to boot If the BIOS isn't properly configured to accept the headless mode.

                                            ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post