XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    9.2.385 snapshot/backup corruption fix: which versions were affected, and does it apply to XenServer VM Tools?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved Compute
    3 Posts 3 Posters 47 Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T
      trelane
      last edited by

      The 9.2.385 release notes list "Fix data corruption issue during in-memory snapshots and backups," with no detail on scope. Two questions before I decide what to do with my Windows VMs:

      1. Which XCP-ng tools versions had the bug? Was it only 9.2.350, or does 9.1.x have it too? I just upgraded a VM from 9.1.200 and want to know whether I should re-check older backups of it.
      2. Does it affect XenServer VM Tools? I have a Server 2025 VM on XenServer VM Tools 9.6.0 and would rather not swap tool families on it unless the bug applies.

      Thanks.

      poddingueP D 2 Replies Last reply
      Reply Quote 1
      • poddingueP poddingue marked this topic as a question
      • poddingueP
        poddingue Vates 🪐 @trelane
        last edited by

        I went looking and couldn't find the answer either. 🤷

        The 9.2.385 changelog puts that fix under "Changes since 9.2.350", so the fix isn't in 9.2.350, but as far as I can see that says nothing about 9.1.x either way.

        The driver changes between the two tags are submodule bumps, and I can't read those well enough to tell where the bug came from.

        XenServer VM Tools are a separate build from Citrix as far as I know, so I wouldn't assume anything for your 9.6.0 VM.

        This needs someone who worked on the fix, so maybe @Team-Hypervisor-Kernel can say which versions had the bug and whether older backups are worth re-checking. 🤞

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • D
          dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @trelane
          last edited by dinhngtu

          @trelane Hello, the bug affects Xen drivers of any 9.0 series (considering the upstream code, it goes back to circa September 2019). 9.2.385 contains the fix, which was merged upstream just this month. The bug also impacts network connections, however to a lesser extent due to its nature.

          I believe that the bug is also present in XenServer VM Tools 9.6.0 and by extension, older versions of it.

          We recommend that you switch to the XCP-ng tools whenever possible, also due to its other benefits (fully open source, validated for XCP-ng and optimized for Xen Orchestra).

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          • First post
            Last post