XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Remote desktop on Gnome hangs randomly

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved Hardware
    19 Posts 5 Posters 2.2k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • O
      ovicz
      last edited by

      If i remove the pci=nomsi from grub..this pops up in xl dmesg.

      (XEN) [15627.724045] CPU3: Running in modulated clock mode
      (XEN) [15628.457337] d[IDLE]v0: Unsupported MSI delivery mode 7 for Dom5
      (XEN) [15628.457339] d[IDLE]v2: Unsupported MSI delivery mode 7 for Dom5

      That's when the gnome desktop hangs. Is this fixable ?

      D 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • D
        dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
        last edited by dinhngtu

        @ovicz Are you up for a test package with a fix? Note that the fix is not yet tested nor supported at the moment.

        Add user repos using this command:

        yum-config-manager --add-repo https://koji.xcp-ng.org/repos/user/8/8.3/xcpng-users.repo
        

        To know what you need to upgrade, run this command (as xcp-ng-ndinh2 contains some changes that you don't need):

        rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\t%{SOURCERPM}\n' | grep $'\txapi'
        

        Then upgrade just the XAPI-related packages:

        yum update --enablerepo=xcp-ng-ndinh2 <list of packages from above>
        

        Remember to reboot the host after installing.

        Finally, disable hvm-pirq on your affected VM and reboot it (parameter name subject to change):

        xe vm-param-set uuid=... platform:hvm-pirq=false
        

        To go back, list what you installed and downgrade them:

        yum list installed | grep ndinh
        yum downgrade ...
        
        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • O
          ovicz
          last edited by

          Hello. I did what you said and it seems to work. Thank you.

          D 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • D
            dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
            last edited by

            @ovicz Thanks for testing. Is everything working without the pci=nomsi or GRUB command line tweaks? We'll work to integrate this fix into a future update.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • O
              ovicz
              last edited by ovicz

              Yes. I removed pci=nomsi entry from grub. I've tested on a Debian Forky and CentOS Stream 10 VMs with gnome and an intel alderlake igpu passthrough no issues at all.

              D 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 4
              • poddingueP poddingue marked this topic as a question on
              • D
                dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
                last edited by dinhngtu

                @ovicz xapi-26.1.16-1.1.0.pirq.2.xcpng8.3 is now available on xcp-ng-ndinh2, which disables HVM PIRQ for all existing VMs by default on reboot. Please try it out.

                I've prepared an upstream PR for this feature. If you'd like to be listed as a tester, please respond with your name and email address (or your fake github email if you prefer) and I'll update my commit with your credit.

                O 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • O
                  ovicz @dinhngtu
                  last edited by ovicz

                  @dinhngtu Hello. I've updated to the latest commit. There is no need to give me credit. I just want to help so others and myself included can benefit from this. Anyway thank you for your work.

                  O 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 3
                  • O
                    ovicz @ovicz
                    last edited by

                    IF I update to the latest batch of updates released recently, I suppose I will lose the changes made in that repo that you provided. ?

                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • D
                      dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
                      last edited by dinhngtu

                      @ovicz I've built xapi-26.1.16-1.2.0.pirq.1.xcpng8.3 on xcp-ng-ndinh2. You can update as usual, then install my packages on top.

                      O 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • O
                        ovicz @dinhngtu
                        last edited by

                        @dinhngtu I see there are some new updates in the testing repo. can I upgrade the packages from the testing branch and after that can i load the packages from your repo. ? When this changes will go mainstream ?

                        D 2 Replies Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • D
                          dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
                          last edited by dinhngtu

                          @ovicz xcp-ng-ndinh2 currently contains a newer xapi 26.1.19 with some other patches you don't need, so you shouldn't use that any more.

                          The hvm-pirq feature have been integrated into our xapi 26.1.19 package, now available in testing. You can install the testing packages and get that feature. now available in incoming. But that's very early and not yet tested. If you need something based on the latest testing packages instead, feel free to ask me and I'll build it into a different tag for you.

                          Note that you should only upgrade XAPI packages listed in the RPM commands given above. Don't upgrade anything else or you may end up taking something unexpected.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @ovicz
                            last edited by

                            @ovicz I was wrong, it's already in testing. So you could simply install the testing updates for that.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • First post
                              Last post