XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Created cloud config, but can't select it when creating a new VM.

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    36 Posts 6 Posters 22.1k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • olivierlambertO
      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
      last edited by

      So you need to check cloudinit logs in your VM to understand why it doesn't fetch your config.

      E 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • E
        eperez539 @olivierlambert
        last edited by

        @olivierlambert Seems like the cloud init config that gets run is the one under:

        /var/lib/cloud/seed/nocloud-net/user-data
        

        Have checked all the different logs and there is nothing about the custom cloud-init config that I selected during VM creation using XenOrchestra.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • G
          geek-baba
          last edited by

          @olivierlambert - I was trying Debian cloud template for XenServer with Debian 10, the installation process mostly works except 'dpkg-reconfigure cloud-init' does not bring up data source selection window. I also read XO Cloudinit guide which talks about openstack vs nocloud config drive, however I have tried the defaults and cloud config tab, but the VM does not pick up the cloud init settings, not sure if I should start a new topic or not but having similar issue.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • olivierlambertO
            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
            last edited by

            Please try with our Debian template in XO Hub.

            G 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • G
              geek-baba @olivierlambert
              last edited by

              @olivierlambert I wish, the community edition does not have hub support I believe.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                You can try with XOA Free 🙂

                G 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • G
                  geek-baba @olivierlambert
                  last edited by

                  @olivierlambert I will certainly try that, however I wanted to customize it for k8s cluster, so was wondering if the old guide need updating if at all.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • olivierlambertO
                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                    last edited by

                    If we can find exactly why, yes we could improve/fix it 🙂

                    G 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • G
                      geek-baba @olivierlambert
                      last edited by

                      @olivierlambert - ok, I will continue troubleshooting, the guide is pretty basic, i.e. install plain vanilla debian and install couldinit so was not sure what could go wrong.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • olivierlambertO
                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                        last edited by olivierlambert

                        Partition ID for Cloudinit is the first step to check.

                        apt-get install cloud-init cloud-initramfs-growroot
                        
                        diff /usr/lib/cloud-init/ds-identify.ORIGINAL /usr/lib/cloud-init/ds-identify
                        236a237,238
                        >             LABEL_FATBOOT=*) label="${line#LABEL_FATBOOT=}";
                        >                               labels="${labels}${line#LABEL_FATBOOT=}${delim}";;
                        
                        /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg
                        
                        ssh_deletekeys: true
                        
                        datasource_list: [ ConfigDrive, None ]
                        datasource:
                          ConfigDrive:
                            dsmode: local
                        
                        E 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • E
                          eperez539 @olivierlambert
                          last edited by eperez539

                          @olivierlambert just tried to go through the process again from what the example gave. Included the extra lines you mentioned above for the datasource. But it is still not seeing any of the custom cloud init settings that I configured.

                          Is the template VM somehow badly configured? Is there anything on here that is outdated: https://xen-orchestra.com/blog/centos-cloud-template-for-xenserver/

                          I'll continue debugging this issue but would be nice to have a guide on how to make cloud init work. Seems like there is something either missing or not working on the current guide (maybe XO bug?).

                          Looking at the docs again, seems like the cloud-init config didn't really work:

                          Hostname is set to: cloudtest

                          200ec739-6000-417d-bbc2-01752045e728-image.png

                          Result (host name is not correct )

                          f6e92cac-7372-4432-8878-cd341f499d61-image.png

                          G 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • G
                            geek-baba @eperez539
                            last edited by

                            @eperez539 this guide wont work, this is what I did, installed XOA, created the VM from HUB, modified it and converted again to the template.

                            E 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • E
                              eperez539 @geek-baba
                              last edited by

                              @geek-baba Thanks, do you happen to have some steps on the additional changes you made to the VM before converting in to the template?

                              G 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • G
                                geek-baba @eperez539
                                last edited by

                                @eperez539 just install anything you want, for example I added docker and kubernetes and converted it to template and now when I create new VM it retains everything.

                                E 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • E
                                  eperez539 @geek-baba
                                  last edited by

                                  @geek-baba oh ok, so are you bypassing cloud init altogether? How do you handle the network config? I was hoping to at least setup network + ssh key and then I could mange with Ansible after that.

                                  Initially tried using Terraform with XO, but this cloud init issue may be the problem why I was having an issue getting them to work together.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • G
                                    geek-baba
                                    last edited by geek-baba

                                    no I am not bypassing the cloudinit, I am using a working template that have local cloud config that I was not able to get it working on my own. if you use the template, you would see 2 drives under disk like below.

                                    alt text

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • M
                                      MrMike
                                      last edited by

                                      @olivierlambert said in Created cloud config, but can't select it when creating a new VM.:

                                      your VM to understand why it doesn't fetch your config.

                                      There was a an update to cloud-init recently and it broke the template I've been using to deploy our VMs. What's i've noticed so far is that it overwrites the network configuration files for centos in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. I got around that issue by adding the network: configuration: ignore to the cloud.cfg file..

                                      I then figured maybe it's time to update my template, so I went ahead and did just that using the same guide found here.

                                      Once the VM starts it also fails to load the config drive automatically, so I'm thinking the documentation will need to get some sort of refresh .. Once I figure it out, I can show what worked for me here if no one else figured it out first.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        Keep us posted please 🙂

                                        M 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • M
                                          MrMike @olivierlambert
                                          last edited by

                                          @olivierlambert
                                          I got it working by applying the diff you posted above. I edited the ds-identity file and added the fatboot label. I then added the datasource entries to cloud.cfg.

                                          I converted to a template and 1st bootup it updated automaticaly and ran everything I had already setup in the cloud.cfg.

                                          I would say that the blog post from December 2015 or the wiki needs to be updated with that new information. Also worth mentioning is that unless a network configuration is specified in the cloud.cfg file you need to add this snippet at the bottom so that any future customization of the network interfaces doesn't get wiped up by cloud-init:

                                          network:
                                            config: disabled
                                          
                                          
                                          E 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • E
                                            eperez539 @MrMike
                                            last edited by

                                            @MrMike could you please post the changes to ds-identity file? Also, I don't see the /usr/lib/cloud-init/ds-identify.ORIGINAL file. Is this something that gets created after the new VM is created?

                                            M 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post