XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    BRAND_CONSOLE error on BOOT, no networking

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Compute
    11 Posts 2 Posters 2.6k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • A
      andremartin
      last edited by

      Hey guys!

      So we had a power outage here that shutdown our xcp-ng server. Upon returning, it goes through most of the boot process, it shows the splash screen, but then it gets stuck on this error:

      brandconsole.JPG

      The host has no network connectivity.
      Going to another console with alt+right, I saw that emergency mode is "false", and tried network restart, which made no difference. Boots up to the same error.

      Tried a toolstak restart, and this is what xensource.log looks after that:

      xensource.log.jpg

      And this is what /etc/xensource-inventory looks like:

      xensource-inventory.JPG

      Sorry for the print screens. My only access is either the KVM or the iDRAC console which doesn't let me copy anything (afaik).

      Any ideas? Did something got corrupted? If it did, can it be rebuilt?

      I do have access to USB ports to do a re-install, but well, I would rather not have to redo the entire server.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • stormiS
        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
        last edited by

        /etc/xensource-inventory is supposed to have a lot more contents. Here's mine from a test XCP-ng VM:

        [10:23 xcp-ng-sve-80-dev ~]# cat /etc/xensource-inventory
        PRIMARY_DISK='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QEMU_HARDDISK_QM00001'
        PRODUCT_VERSION='8.0.0'
        DOM0_VCPUS='2'
        CONTROL_DOMAIN_UUID='585098b9-5c1e-49d7-875c-e88c105b6ac1'
        DOM0_MEM='1136'
        COMPANY_NAME_SHORT='Open Source'
        MANAGEMENT_ADDRESS_TYPE='IPv4'
        PARTITION_LAYOUT='ROOT,BACKUP,LOG,BOOT,SWAP,SR'
        PRODUCT_VERSION_TEXT='8.0'
        PRODUCT_BRAND='XCP-ng'
        INSTALLATION_UUID='fc51eb64-b541-4a1a-8cea-2bc39590be81'
        PRODUCT_VERSION_TEXT_SHORT='8.0'
        BRAND_CONSOLE='XCP-ng Center'
        PRODUCT_NAME='xenenterprise'
        MANAGEMENT_INTERFACE='xenbr0'
        COMPANY_PRODUCT_BRAND='XCP-ng'
        PLATFORM_VERSION='3.0.0'
        BUILD_NUMBER='release/naples/master/45'
        STUNNEL_LEGACY='false'
        PLATFORM_NAME='XCP'
        BRAND_CONSOLE_URL='https://xcp-ng.org'
        BACKUP_PARTITION='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QEMU_HARDDISK_QM00001-part2'
        INSTALLATION_DATE='2019-08-06 15:52:19.379300'
        COMPANY_NAME='Open Source'
        
        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • A
          andremartin
          last edited by andremartin

          So, is there a "proper" way to rebuild this?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • stormiS
            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
            last edited by

            It is created during installation, by this python code: https://github.com/xcp-ng/host-installer/blob/eb796dc6a82a0defdcbba1a0833a3356060c5396/backend.py#L1625

            I don't know if there's a way to re-create it.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • A
              andremartin
              last edited by

              Loaded the 8.0 Install ISO to see if there was some recovery option, but it doesn't even recognize that there's an installation on the disk...

              stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • stormiS
                stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @andremartin
                last edited by

                @andremartin Yeah, it recognizes existing installations... Based on /etc/xensource-inventory if I remember correctly...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • stormiS
                  stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                  last edited by stormi

                  If you had upgraded that host in the past, you should be able to find an /etc/xensource-inventory in the backup partition, you could then use after changing the values that depend on the version.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • stormiS
                    stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                    last edited by stormi

                    Another place where you can find a backup, if you have made one before the crash: in the backup file that the xe host-backup command creates. It's also available from XSConsole. XCP-ng Center also offers that feature if I remember correctly.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • A
                      andremartin
                      last edited by

                      I do have a backup partition, but I can't seem to be able to mount it? The filesystem shows up as "Microsoft basic". Which filesystem should I specify to mount it?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • stormiS
                        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                        last edited by

                        It's ext3, unless it's empty. It only gets filled when you upgrade, so that you can fallback to the previous state if anything goes wrong.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          andremartin
                          last edited by

                          Then I guess it's empty. I guess I'll just redo the server, and chalk this up as a one in a million file corruption, for which we didn't have the proper OS backup to counteract. We do have backups of the VMs anyway.

                          Thanks for the help! We didn't get this fixed, but I did learn a lot! This is our first Xenserver/XCP host.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • First post
                            Last post