XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Truenas Scales VM failed to start

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Compute
    44 Posts 3 Posters 19.0k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • olivierlambertO
      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
      last edited by

      It means the PCI device you are trying to pass to this VM is already used, either by another VM, or by the Dom0 itself.

      jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • jag5cofJ
        jag5cof @olivierlambert
        last edited by

        @olivierlambert what is the fix action and how

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          I can't guess the device you are trying to passthrough and how/if it's used by another VM or the dom0.

          The fix is to be sure no other VM is using this device (including the dom0). If you added a passthrough device, you know which one you added, and nobody else can guess it 🙂

          jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • jag5cofJ
            jag5cof @olivierlambert
            last edited by

            @olivierlambert I know the other vm which are using the passthough. So do you know I can remove the passthough from the others vms

            AtaxyaNetworkA 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • AtaxyaNetworkA
              AtaxyaNetwork Ambassador @jag5cof
              last edited by

              @jag5cof I imagine it's something like:

              • List the param of your VM with xe vm-param-list uuid=<uuid>
              • Find the line like other-config:pci=0/0000:04:01.0
              • Then you can remove with xe vm-param-remove other-config:pci=0/0000:04:01.0 uuid=<uuid>
              jag5cofJ 2 Replies Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • jag5cofJ
                jag5cof @AtaxyaNetwork
                last edited by

                @AtaxyaNetwork ok and thanks

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • jag5cofJ
                  jag5cof @AtaxyaNetwork
                  last edited by

                  @AtaxyaNetwork I'm gettin this error when I run this command

                  Required parameter not found: param-name
                  xe vm-param-remove other-config:pci=0/0000:03:00.0 uuid=vm#

                  I add the correct pci id and vm uuid

                  AtaxyaNetworkA 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • AtaxyaNetworkA
                    AtaxyaNetwork Ambassador @jag5cof
                    last edited by

                    @jag5cof Maybe xe vm-param-remove param-name=other-config param-key=pci=0/0000:03:00.0 uuid=<uuid> ?

                    jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • jag5cofJ
                      jag5cof @AtaxyaNetwork
                      last edited by

                      @AtaxyaNetwork I got this error when I ran your cmd - Key pci=0/0000:03:00.0 is not in map

                      I aslo ran xl pci-assignable-list
                      0000:03:00.0

                      AtaxyaNetworkA 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • AtaxyaNetworkA
                        AtaxyaNetwork Ambassador @jag5cof
                        last edited by

                        @jag5cof I just discussed this with @olivierlambert, the right syntax is:
                        xe vm-param-remove param-name=other-config param-key=pci uuid=<VM UUID>

                        He will add the procedure to delete PCI passthrough in the docs 🙂

                        jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                          last edited by

                          I updated the doc, it's now available: https://docs.xcp-ng.org/compute/#detaching-a-pci-device

                          jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • jag5cofJ
                            jag5cof @AtaxyaNetwork
                            last edited by

                            @AtaxyaNetwork I appreciate you working with me on this. It is a learn experience.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • jag5cofJ
                              jag5cof @olivierlambert
                              last edited by

                              @olivierlambert I'm still getting this error - Key pci is not in map

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • olivierlambertO
                                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                last edited by olivierlambert

                                Check if you have the PCI parameter enabled on the VM first:

                                xe vm-param-list uuid=<VM UUID>

                                jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • jag5cofJ
                                  jag5cof @olivierlambert
                                  last edited by

                                  @olivierlambert What line am I'm looking for on the vm after the
                                  cmd is run

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • olivierlambertO
                                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                    last edited by

                                    The other-config line 🙂 Paste it here

                                    jag5cofJ 2 Replies Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • jag5cofJ
                                      jag5cof @olivierlambert
                                      last edited by

                                      @olivierlambert I'm not sure what you ar asking?

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        Paste the output of xe vm-param-list uuid=<VM UUID> in here.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • jag5cofJ
                                          jag5cof @olivierlambert
                                          last edited by

                                          @olivierlambert Do you think it would be easier to re-install truenas and not applied passthough

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • olivierlambertO
                                            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                            last edited by

                                            No. Just paste the result so we can see the content of the other-config field.

                                            jag5cofJ 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post