XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    NFS Storage Leads to File System Errors After Unplanned Shutdown

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    6 Posts 3 Posters 1.6k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C
      creoleMalady
      last edited by

      Hi All,

      I have my VM storage centralized on a dedicated NAS using NFS. However, this is not a datacenter environment and whenever there is a power outage, the VM's dont shutdown properly and end up having filesystem corruption that blocks them from booting normally.

      Running fsck generally fixes the issue and allows them to boot. But I would like to find a way to use remote network storage for VM's without this issue.

      Any guidance is appreciated.

      A 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • A
        Andrew Top contributor @creoleMalady
        last edited by

        @creoleMalady On your NFS server, do you have sync writes enabled or disabled?

        C 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • C
          creoleMalady @Andrew
          last edited by

          @Andrew Sorry for not responding earlier, but I dont believe I am finding any settings for Sync Writes on NFS.

          Screenshot From 2025-06-20 15-44-30.png

          I 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • I
            imaginapix @creoleMalady
            last edited by

            @creoleMalady

            You should be able to find the asked setting under the settings for the specific shared folder.
            Should be something about asynchronous write. If this is enabled things like what you experience can happen. Disable it and the problem should be gone.

            But there is one thing about that. While it is safer for the data, write speeds might go down a bit depending on your network.

            C 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • C
              creoleMalady @imaginapix
              last edited by

              @imaginapix

              I feel stupid. It took a good bit of time for the Shared Folder window to populate, so it appeared empty and I would skip past it thinking these weren't shared volumes.

              Checking again, it populated and I was able to make the change. Hopefully that fixes the issue.Screenshot From 2025-07-06 10-28-54.png

              I 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • I
                imaginapix @creoleMalady
                last edited by

                @creoleMalady

                Fingers crossed 🙂

                And don't feel stupid. Everybody has those moments - even after decades of experience.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0

                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                Register Login
                • First post
                  Last post