Xen Orchestra proxies - Test Feedback

• XO Team

Unfortunately, it will not be possible to give an IP address to the deployed VM during the deployment process because the VM is started quickly.

• XCP-ng Team

So we'll need to leave the choice before actual proxy deploy (eg when you select the SR) 🙂

• XO Team

Indeed,

On selecting a SR, the user should be able to select the associated network and to choose its configuration.

• I just tried this out for the first time. With XOA (latest channel, freshly updated), I received the same timeout error --

proxy.deploy
    {
      "sr": "fed313ad-68ac-8ce8-0ced-25f861c3c17f"
    }
    {
      "message": "operation timed out",
      "name": "TimeoutError",
      "stack": "TimeoutError: operation timed out
        at Promise.call (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/promise-toolbox/timeout.js:13:16)
        at Proxy.deployProxy (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/src/xo-mixins/proxies.js:195:19)
        at <anonymous>"
    }

With XO built from source, I received the following error --

proxy.deploy
    {
      "sr": "fed313ad-68ac-8ce8-0ced-25f861c3c17f"
    }
    {
      "message": "app.getResourceCatalog is not a function",
      "name": "TypeError",
      "stack": "TypeError: app.getResourceCatalog is not a function
        at Proxy.apply (/opt/xen-orchestra/packages/xo-server/src/xo-mixins/proxies.js:143:19)
        at Proxy.<anonymous> (/opt/xen-orchestra/node_modules/golike-defer/src/index.js:57:17)
        at Object.deployProxy (/opt/xen-orchestra/node_modules/lodash/_createBind.js:23:15)
        at Object.call (/opt/xen-orchestra/packages/xo-server/src/api/proxy.js:100:15)
        at Api.callApiMethod (/opt/xen-orchestra/packages/xo-server/src/xo-mixins/api.js:292:33)
        at <anonymous>"
    }

• XCP-ng Team

Ping @julien-f

• Hi,

No problem for me to create and configure a proxy but when I start a backup I have this error :

backupNg.runJob
    {
      "id": "fad774b1-79ac-485d-9e7d-f3f9de02f486",
      "schedule": "0c9fffd2-8a42-4d87-8098-217dbd2feabc"
    }
    {
      "code": -32601,
      "data": "backup.run",
      "message": "method not found: backup.run"
    } 

• XCP-ng Team

Your proxy was deployed in a DHCP enabled env, right?

• @olivierlambert

Yes the DHCP server give an IP to the proxy

• XCP-ng Team

Good thanks 🙂 I think we got a patch coming very soon, done by @julien-f fixing this error

• Okay, thanks. I'm waiting for the patch.
    If I'm not in DHCP I have the same problem as the other users, a timeout and the proxy is deleted.

• XO Team

Hey everyone!

The patch is finally here 🎉

Sorry for the delay 😐

How to test?

1. Select the latest channel on your XO appliance
    2. Upgrade to Xen Orchestra 5.43.2
    3. Go to the Proxies page and either Deploy a proxy or upgrade the appliance of your existing ones

What's here?

• Full Backup
    • Disaster Recovery

Known limitations/issues

Scheduled for Step 2 at the end of the month.

• Network configuration for the proxy appliance
    • Delta Backup
    • Continuous Replication
    • Detailed logs, they are currently empty
    • Restoring backups
      Work-around: create a normal remote (not linked to the proxy) connected to the same storage and import via the XO appliance

Thank you for your feedbacks

• XCP-ng Team

@Franck-Leclerc feel free to try again now 🙂

• Thanks for the update.
    I can now backup a VM with the proxy
    I continuing my tests

• XCP-ng Team

Great thanks!

• Are proxies an XOA-restricted feature? If yes, then the GUI should indicate that and prevent you from attempting to deploy when built from source. If no, then this functionality is still broken (TypeError: app.getResourceCatalog is not a function) when built from source.

• XCP-ng Team

Proxies are like XOA (or XO Hub templates): they are pre-configured appliances hosted on xen-orchestra.com, explaining why you can only deploy them from XOA.

However, you should be able to use the sources to register a proxy yourself, but we'll document that later (it's still in dev and code is moving fast).

Anyway, we'll expose that in the UI, thanks for the feedback 🙂

XCP-ng Pro Support

XCP-ng Pro Support