XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.1 Release Candidate now available!

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    89 Posts 16 Posters 96.3k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D
      dariosplit @stormi
      last edited by

      @stormi Will the RC release with yum update become the final release

      stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • stormiS
        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @dariosplit
        last edited by

        @dariosplit Yes

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • stormiS
          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Biggen
          last edited by

          @Biggen It's on my TODO list to write detailed instructions for that migration before the release. I'll follow the procedure myself and see what happens. Others can comment too and help making it perfect.

          stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • stormiS
            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
            last edited by

            New updates are available for those who have installed the beta, the RC or from the pre-final ISOs. They fix an issue that no one had seen yet but very important: the chronyd service was not enabled when updating via yum, nor chrony-wait.service, vm.slice and sm-mpath-root.service (Citrix Hypervisor's update from 8.0 to 8.1 exhibits the same issue).

            They also modify the tty console welcome message to mention Xen Orchestra as the official graphical client.

            I have also built new ISOs ("prefinal2") with the updated packages. I hope those will be the final ones. Download from https://updates.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.1/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • stormiS
              stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @stormi
              last edited by

              @stormi said in XCP-ng 8.1 Release Candidate now available!:

              @Biggen It's on my TODO list to write detailed instructions for that migration before the release. I'll follow the procedure myself and see what happens. Others can comment too and help making it perfect.

              Done: https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/XCP-ng-8.1-Release-Notes#migrate-from-experimental-ext4-storage-repositories

              B 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • B
                Biggen @stormi
                last edited by Biggen

                @stormi

                Can you export and import VMs with xcp-ng Center? I have a single host pool so I'm not sure what the best method is of exporting them and then importing them once the new SR is created.

                My XO Community Edition resides on the experimental SR . So I can use that to move/export my other VMs first but I'm not sure how to move the actual XO CE last. I may have to simply reinstall it from scratch which isn't a big deal.

                DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • DanpD
                  Danp Pro Support Team @Biggen
                  last edited by

                  @Biggen Not sure if this will work for you, but I temporarily migrated my VDIs to my backup source (I created an NFS SR) and then deleted / recreated my local storage.

                  B 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • B
                    Biggen @Danp
                    last edited by

                    @Danp

                    I think that is what I'll do.

                    Its the import that I'm not quite sure how to handle. If I backup everything to a NFS and delete the old SR, then I have no controlling XO any longer to begin the import. So I either have to manually reinstall XO CE or use xcp-ng Center.

                    DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanpD
                      Danp Pro Support Team @Biggen
                      last edited by

                      @Biggen To be clear, I didn't export / import. Here's what I did --

                      • Created a new NFS SR on my backup device
                      • Migrated the existing VDIs to the NFS SR
                      • Removed the existing local storage (was LVM)
                      • Recreated the local storage as Ext4
                      • Migrated the disks back to local storage

                      IIRC, I had to restart a few of the VMs post migration but otherwise the process worked fine for me

                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • B
                        Biggen @Danp
                        last edited by

                        @Danp

                        What did you use to migrate with? Did you have another host where you could run XO(A) from?

                        DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • DanpD
                          Danp Pro Support Team @Biggen
                          last edited by

                          @Biggen No, the host doesn't change at all. You are just moving all disks to different storage so that you can recreate your local storage. I believe the latest version of XO lets you do this from the SR > Disks tab.

                          If you run into issues with moving your XO instance, you could always spin up a 2nd instance or use XOA.

                          B 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • B
                            Biggen @Danp
                            last edited by

                            @Danp

                            Oh, I see. You are talking about migrating everything including XOA to NFS and running it from there while I'm destroying/recreating the SR, and then moving everything back.

                            Yeah I get it now.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • B
                              Biggen
                              last edited by

                              Upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0 went just fine. Thanks for the help @Danp. Moving everything to a temporary NFS share worked easy (although one stubborn VM couldn't be migrated for some reason. I had to perform a copy instead).

                              Just be aware if you pass through any disks or have a local ISO SR setup in dom0, you will have to set it back up again. The pass through disks are easy since the data itself on the drives isn't touched. You just have to pass them back through and reattach to the appropriate VM. The local ISO SR is another story since it gets wiped if it resides in dom0. Not a big deal. Just have to copy back into it the installation ISOs required and add it back in the storage menu.

                              DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • DanpD
                                Danp Pro Support Team @Biggen
                                last edited by

                                @Biggen said in XCP-ng 8.1 Release Candidate now available!:

                                local ISO SR

                                Why not just setup an NFS one?

                                B 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • B
                                  Biggen @Danp
                                  last edited by

                                  @Danp I should but I use it so seldom that I just have never got around to it. Might as well now so I only have to build it again from scratch just this once!

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • J
                                    jmccoy555
                                    last edited by

                                    Import (in XO and XCP-ng center) / restore from back up is broken. It works with 8.1 RC1 but with latest patches applied or prefinal 3 it fails.

                                    Think this is the relevant bit of the log,

                                    "message": "VM_BAD_POWER_STATE(Plugged VBD creation only allowed for suspended VM)",
                                    "name": "XapiError",
                                    "stack": "XapiError: VM_BAD_POWER_STATE(Plugged VBD creation only allowed for suspended VM)
                                      at Function.wrap (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/_XapiError.js:16:12)
                                      at _default (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/_getTaskResult.js:11:29)
                                      at Xapi._addRecordToCache (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/index.js:831:24)
                                      at forEach (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/index.js:852:14)
                                      at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
                                      at Xapi._processEvents (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/index.js:842:12)
                                      at /home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/src/index.js:1003:14
                                      at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
                                      at asyncGeneratorStep (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/dist/index.js:62:103)
                                      at _next (/home/node/xen-orchestra/packages/xen-api/dist/index.js:64:194)
                                      at tryCatcher (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/util.js:16:23)
                                      at Promise._settlePromiseFromHandler (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:547:31)
                                      at Promise._settlePromise (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:604:18)
                                      at Promise._settlePromise0 (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:649:10)
                                      at Promise._settlePromises (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/promise.js:729:18)
                                      at _drainQueueStep (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:93:12)
                                      at _drainQueue (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:86:9)
                                      at Async._drainQueues (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:102:5)
                                      at Immediate.Async.drainQueues [as _onImmediate] (/home/node/xen-orchestra/node_modules/bluebird/js/release/async.js:15:14)
                                      at processImmediate (internal/timers.js:456:21)"
                                    

                                    }

                                    DanpD BenjiReisB 2 Replies Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • DanpD
                                      Danp Pro Support Team @jmccoy555
                                      last edited by

                                      @jmccoy555 Just tested a VM restore and it worked fine for me. <shrug>

                                      stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • stormiS
                                        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Danp
                                        last edited by

                                        @jmccoy555 @Danp what's your XAPI version?

                                        rpm -q xapi-core xapi-xe xapi-tests
                                        
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • BenjiReisB
                                          BenjiReis Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                                          last edited by

                                          Also which version of XO are using? What kind of backup were you trying to restore?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • DanpD
                                            Danp Pro Support Team
                                            last edited by

                                            # rpm -q xapi-core xapi-xe xapi-tests
                                            xapi-core-1.214.1-2.4.xcpng8.1.x86_64
                                            xapi-xe-1.214.1-2.4.xcpng8.1.x86_64
                                            xapi-tests-1.214.1-2.4.xcpng8.1.x86_64
                                            
                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post