is Xo Proxy available in community version
-
@acebmxer Thank you for the reply! I will give it a try installing a new VM and restoring the config from the current VM. Thanx again!
-
That question has come round three times on this thread since 2020, so it isn't a one-off.
I'd rather not promise documentation I can't deliver, but I can take it to the people who decide and come back here either way, including if the answer is that proxy deployment stays an XOA thing.
On the licensing side I'd sooner not encourage patching those checks out, mostly because I don't know what they're guarding.
In the meantime, the two community scripts in this thread are what people are actually running, which is worth saying plainly even though it isn't the documented path you asked for. -
P poddingue marked this topic as a question on
-
@poddingue Fistst of all I appreciate your answer and your position.
The thing is that, even though the proxy code itself is opensource, the functionality of the plugin is basicaly behind a paywall. We are not talking about support. Actual functioning of the plugin after compiling from sources depends on license availability and there is no option to select no support or something along the lines "I built it myself from sources". Without patching the code even though the proxy is otherwise functional the backups won't work because of missing license. Hopefully the powers that can will provide an acceptable albeit community supported way to use the proxy cleanly, without touching license checks. Best regards! -
Just pinging this thread to keep it alive as an answer is still very much of interest.
-
Hey @acebmxer! I gave the project a try but it does not fully work with proxies at the moment - same as the project I was running. They deploy fine but servers behind proxy don't connect in the servers page. So unless the servers are otherwise connected to xo they won't connect through the proxy. This issue is present in another similar project after the recent upstream changes to xo-proxy and xo. Are you aware of this and is there any plan to support xo-proxy connection again? PS. The project looks awesome and am in the process to moving to a new XO instance based on it - I'm just having a few quirks with certificate and LE to iron out!
-
Thanks for trying it! This one comes from upstream Xen Orchestra, not the installer. A change in XO's connection library (around 2026-09-09) left servers set to connect through an HTTPS proxy that supports HTTP/2, such as XO Proxy, stuck in
Connecting. Vates fixed it in #10507 and released it in XO 6.9.1 (2026-10-05). That's also why the other project broke the same way.Running
--updateshould pull the fix, since the installer builds frommasterby default. If servers behind the proxy still won't connect after updating, please open an issue with what the Servers page shows and I'll dig in.Side - note the disable license check is no longer needed as that appears not to be gated by the license check.
I have pushed these changes to the Dev branch. You should be able to switch to the dev branch and run the update ...
git fetch origin
git switch dev
./install-xen-orchestra.sh -
Correction to my side note: the license check can still block backups through a proxy. A proxy deployed by
--proxyon a free xen-orchestra.com account updates to 0.31.10 and fails backups withno valid proxy license. The fix that stops gating backups on the license first ships in proxy 0.32.0+. The README now covers registering the proxy and this limit (dev branch).I took this screenshot before the error whent away.

After update.

Backup Remote connected via proxy.

I did not test with host connected via proxy yet. Just not sure why the proxy will not update to 0.33.1.
Also added support for auth token when xo account is using MFA.
-
@acebmxer thank you very much for your detailed answer! Testing things and hoping for the best! Best regards!
-
Got so possible good news... I got the proxy to update to the latest version and was able to do a backup job with it. Still need to test connecting a host via proxy.
-
Update - changes are live in the dev branch now.
So figured out the update / switching branches for the proxy by connecting the proxy to my xoa free account. That triggered the available update to next version. From there I found the command that needs to be ran on the proxy to switch back and forth...

Latest branch

stable branch

Backup job ran sucessful.
2026-10-09T17_48_25.447Z - backup NG.txt
After the proxy has been deployed...
The proxy has been registered with your Xen Orchestra instance.
You can manage it from the Xen Orchestra web interface.Next: register the proxy's updater and move it to the 'latest' channel.
- On the pool master (IP), set a password for the proxy's 'xoa' user
(choose your own) and reboot the proxy VM:
xe vm-param-set uuid=UUID xenstore-data:vm-data/system-account-xoa-password='<your password>'
xe vm-reboot uuid=UUID - SSH to the proxy as 'xoa' (IP) and run:
sudo xoa-updater register- This registers it with your vates account.
sudo xoa-updater configure-channel xo-proxy-appliance-latest- set tolatestorstable
sudo xoa-updater upgrade- This can be ran via the UI or this command. Both need to be done twice to do the upgrade and/or downgrade.
register needs a free xen-orchestra.com account; see the README.
And host connected via proxy.

- On the pool master (IP), set a password for the proxy's 'xoa' user
-
@acebmxer that is awesome work! Looking forqard to duplicating your effort on Monday. Have an aqesome weekend!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login