[Beta Release] XCP-ng Windows Client tools 8.2.1-beta1
Then feel free to open an issue here: http://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/issues/new
ruskofd last edited by ruskofd
I did a new test on my new fresh install of XCP-ng in my lab. So, to begin, the installation of PV Drivers + Management seems working on Windows Server 2019 with French locale with the version indicated in the title of the topic.
How I proceed ?
- Launch the Setup.exe provided in the archive. The installation continue until "Management Agent failed to install"
- I reboot my virtual machine
- Launch the following command in the
C:\Program Files\XCP-ng\XenToolsfolder with an Administrative prompt :
- Launch again the Setup.exe and select the Repair Menu. The Management Agent seems installed in the end of installation, he asks me to reboot to install the network driver. And I had to reboot again to install the storage driver.
And now everyone seems happy !
I can provide additionnal tests, I will post my results after these during the following week
New test on Windows Server 2019 Core (French locale as well) : same procedure, same results
Here are my results on different versions of Windows Server (using Standard Edition). I used the same procedure indicated above.
For each system, I update all the operating system to last version possible before installing PV drivers (thanks optic fiber ).
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Core : successful install, VSS seems good (stable state and no error), soft shutdown and reboot OK.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Desktop Experience : successful install, VSS seems good (stable state and no error), soft shutdown and reboot OK.
For both Windows Server 2012R2, they require more reboot, especially one more for the storage PV drivers after the installation of network PV drivers, but it works.
- Windows Server 2016 Core : successful install, VSS seems good (stable state and no error), soft shutdown and reboot OK.
- Windows Server 2016 Desktop Experience : successful install, VSS seems good (stable state and no error), soft shutdown and reboot OK.
I don't know if it's very useful to test on Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 since the extended support will reach his end of life in the next January. But I can provide tests if required.
ruskofd last edited by ruskofd
I tested to install a Windows 10 1903 client for doing some Remote Desktop, the Management is installed perfectly by doing the procedure above. But the disk and network drivers are not installed and they don't want to be installed. Usually you have a popup window on login to install these drivers, but in this case, it won't show.
I guess it's a compatibility issue, I will try with XS 8.0 drivers (version 8.2.1).
French as usual, it worked with Windows Server (2012R2, 2016 and 2019)
And it worked perfectly fine with the XS 8.0 drivers.
See https://bugs.xenserver.org/browse/XSO-951 (for tools installed from Win Update)
In short: it's better to stick with US Windows.
I know I know, I opened this issue I talked about the drivers provided by @borzel, the ones that doesn't come from Windows Update.
@ruskofd we don't have the source code of the changes CITRIX makes to the drivers.
I asked them about this: https://bugs.xenserver.org/browse/XSO-928
onur last edited by
Windows 10 x64 Pro version 1903 and the beta tools works 100% now.
Here is the summary of what I did (as mentioned in this discussion)
1-) Install beta tools 8.2.1
2-) When it fails at the end don't worry just reboot.
3-) As ruskofd suggests: --> Launch the following command in the C:\Program Files\XCP-ng\XenTools folder with an Administrative prompt : InstallAgent.exe DEFAULT
4-) Install beta tools 8.2.1 again with REPAIR.
5-) Accept driver confirmation
7-) Now in my case two drivers XN0002 XENBUS VBD and XN0002 XENBUS VIF were not installed, so I used borzel's suggestion: --> you have to install the drivers then manually ... point the driver install dialog from windows to c:\programe files\xcp-ng\drivers (don't forget to tell him to search also in subfolders)
9-) Check all the drivers are working. In my case VIF was not installed so one more time install driver manually
Thank you all for suggestions.
I tested on a fresh 2016 install. The install went well and the management agent was installed. I enabled VSS but the VSS snapshots don't seem to be working.
To compare I installed the citrix client tools on a fresh 2016 install and VSS does work.