Automatic Xen-Orchestra CE installation
Hello fellow xcp-ng users. After a few weeks of getting to know the system and testing stuff out I'd like to share something I looked for but couldn't really find:
An easy way to get Xen-Orchestra running from just the xe cli.
So I just made my own. This script creates a VM running openSUSE MicroOS to start a decent docker image I found, bringing up Xen-Orchestra commuity edition completely automatically from a newly installed XCP-ng Server without any other management tools.
Due to choosing a transactional OS as the container host it should be virtually manitenance free and update automatically (though to apply those updates a reboot of the VM is required).
All of the configuration happens on the Hypervisor for extra flexibility, but this requires the script to install (and later remove) a few unofficial packages: (genisoimage, qemu-img and pv).
I made this choice to allow for easier customisation (and troubleshooting while creating this) compared to a baked VHD file (like the only other cli to orchestra script i could find uses) but this definitely is not an officially supported use case.
The script works, but currently isn't doing any error checking and makes a few assumptions:
- The Host is connected to the Internet
- A local ISO SR can be created at /var/opt/xen/ISO_Store
- A VM with 1GiB-4GiB of Ram and a 32GiB disk (on the default SR) can be created
- The VM can connect to the default bridge network (xenbr0)
- An IP is assigned to the VM by a DHCP server in your network
- The initial configuration inside the MicroOS VM happens in 5 minutes or less (ca. 3 min. on my 50 MBit connection, can be changed in the script)
Feedback is welcome, though this is a side project and it currently has all the functionality I need/wanted it to have.
Greetings from Germany and a huge thanks to the developers, definitely get XOA if you can afford it (or use XCP-ng for anything critical) and have a good day.