XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Intel iGPU passthough

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Hardware
    45 Posts 13 Posters 31.0k Views 14 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • X
      xerxist @xerxist
      last edited by

      NUC13 is still a no go with ASPM turned off.

      Not sure if the kernel needs to recognize it as it doesn't give me the type like on the NUC11

      4e3231e4-61e9-4101-abbb-ae2f90fdbd2f-image.png

      But the NUC11 is confirmed working fine BIOS or UEFI

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • bullerwinsB
        bullerwins @xerxist
        last edited by

        @xerxist in BIOS mode, i would say it was the default for my ubuntu VM

        X 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • X
          xerxist @bullerwins
          last edited by

          @bullerwins

          Seems you would need at least Kernel > 5.15 for this to work on the NUC 12-13.
          Not sure what got implemented/fixed there but it would need to be back ported for this to work.

          bullerwinsB 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • bullerwinsB
            bullerwins @xerxist
            last edited by

            @xerxist my ubuntu 22.04 install came with kernel 5.15, i have it updated regularly but it doens't update the kernel it seems. But newer fresh installs of ubuntu 22.04 install a newer kernel. I'll check out if the kernel needs to be manually updated

            X 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • X
              xerxist @bullerwins
              last edited by xerxist

              @bullerwins

              Not in the VM itself.
              I even went to kernel 6.6 and try it in there, all give the same issue.

              Something on the hypervisor side in the kernel I meant. This is 4.x something with allot of backports.

              I'll probably just wait a wile before moving full XCP-NG.
              But its a very nice system 👍

              bullerwinsB 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • bullerwinsB
                bullerwins @xerxist
                last edited by

                @xerxist have you tried with the 8.3 beta of XCP-ng? I believe it's got a newer kernel maybe?

                X 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • X
                  xerxist @bullerwins
                  last edited by

                  @bullerwins

                  Yes I'm running 8.3 Beta

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • H
                    hawkpro
                    last edited by

                    @bullerwins @xerxist

                    Is this just the mediated (gvt-g?) device passthrough, so the XCP side/server maintains video but a VM can make use of the resources as well?

                    I am very interested in this (plex, frigate type use) as a stepping stone away from Proxmox.

                    Thanks

                    F 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • F
                      flakpyro @hawkpro
                      last edited by

                      In my testing of this, iGPU passthru works fine in Linux but in Windows the device will show an error in the device manager, disable/enabling the drive in the device manager will allow it to work, until next reboot.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • C
                        CJ
                        last edited by

                        @bullerwins @xerxist @flakpyro

                        What are you using for display output on the host since you're passing the iGPU to the VM?

                        F X 2 Replies Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • F
                          flakpyro @CJ
                          last edited by

                          @CJ Im running server grade hardware that has remote lights out management with iKVM support. Otherwise yeah you would lose access to the display output.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • X
                            xerxist @CJ
                            last edited by

                            @CJ

                            No output just need the Intel quick sync.

                            C 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • C
                              CJ @xerxist
                              last edited by

                              @xerxist Yes, QS for the VM but there are times when having a local display of the console comes in handy. That's why I haven't done mine.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • MefosheezM
                                Mefosheez @bullerwins
                                last edited by

                                This post is deleted!
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • MefosheezM
                                  Mefosheez @bullerwins
                                  last edited by

                                  @bullerwins said in Intel iGPU passthough:

                                  @olivierlambert I tried but getting this error when turning on the VM

                                  INTERNAL_ERROR(xenopsd internal error: (Failure
                                  "Error from xenguesthelper: Populate on Demand and PCI Passthrough are mutually exclusive"))

                                  Not sure what it means

                                  EDIT: after googleing it seems that static and dynamic memory has to be the same:
                                  9aa61d84-dd71-4f32-9590-8cff8c365a1a-image.png

                                  @bullerwins thanks for this. I had to restore a VM from a backup and while it was down changed the dynamic value. This certainly saved me some time. I was positive it had to do with remapping the UID on the VM or something on the host side of it. anyways, thanks.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • gskgerG gskger referenced this topic on
                                  • S
                                    scawtydont
                                    last edited by

                                    I followed this post and it worked for me.
                                    One thing to note in my testing, if I had a monitor / HDMI dummy plug hooked up the transcoding worked reliably.
                                    When I unplugged it I found activity would be present on the iGPU but the video in plex would play/pause constantly then eventually stop.

                                    olivierlambertO 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • olivierlambertO
                                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO @scawtydont
                                      last edited by

                                      @scawtydont Thanks for keeping us posted. Dummy plug is still a thing it seems 😄

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • V
                                        vhaelan
                                        last edited by vhaelan

                                        I'm also trying to pass through my Intel iGPU to a VM, but running into issues. It does work on Debian, however not on Fedora Server which I'd like to use. I have tried changing to BIOS mode, even plugged in a dummy HDMI plug, but nothing helped. SELinux is disabled on Fedora to rule out any issues related to that. I even tried using XCP-NG Center which was suggested in an older post, but that didn't help either: https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/6211/intel-gpu-passthrough-question/3

                                        I also posted this on the Fedora forum with further details: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/intel-igpu-in-containers/176029

                                        Are there any other things I could try to investigate this further?

                                        O 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • O
                                          ovicz @vhaelan
                                          last edited by

                                          @vhaelan Hello. What's the output of rpm -qa | grep intel-gpu-firmware ?

                                          V 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • V
                                            vhaelan @ovicz
                                            last edited by

                                            @ovicz said in Intel iGPU passthough:

                                            rpm -qa | grep intel-gpu-firmware

                                            Hello @ovicz, I see the following: intel-gpu-firmware-20251021-1.fc43.noarch

                                            O 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post