XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Want to compare insecure_nbd but doesn't seem to work (secure does)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    26 Posts 3 Posters 14.3k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      sluflyer06
      last edited by

      I created a fresh Debian 11.7 VM and installed XO from sources from the offical docs and made really no other change and re-ran NBD (secure) vs standard backup to NFS just to get another data point and see a significant performance advantage without NBD which I think is not supposed to be the case?
      16dd3e07-9664-49a6-81e1-946f7df0b5f7-image.png

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        Are you using a block based backup repository? (not single VHD files but 2MiB blocks). Maybe the bottleneck is on your NFS side, because on our various tests, the usual bottleneck is the XCP-ng export speed, not the backup repository.

        S 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • S
          sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
          last edited by sluflyer06

          @olivierlambert I am using block based, I can make a test repo on a flash array and see if the spinners are choking on all the small files if that's what you're getting at. The NAS is a dedicated box but very modest by enterprise standard, it's a striped pool with 2 sets of 14TB WD Red's in ZFS (8 drives), typically it does quite well but every use case is different

          Although I guess if the bottleneck was the storage, the NBD backup would be at worst, as fast as non?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • olivierlambertO
            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
            last edited by olivierlambert

            I would love to have a way to know where the back pressure is happening in the stream 🤔 How many VM are you backuping and how many disks?

            Also, maybe the small blocks are putting too much pressure on your disks, and therefore putting backpressure on the export speed.

            @florent is there a way to raise the number of parallel downloads?

            S 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • S
              sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
              last edited by

              @olivierlambert I'm willing to dig in and provide any data. right now it's 10 VM's all with 1 disk each, i'm currently running a backup without NBD using my flash array as a NFS destination, it's a handful of fast samsung SAS 12 SSD's that are striped (they're 3.2TB each). When that finishes I'll flip NBD back up and re-run so at least I think that will take storage out of the equation I believe.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • S
                sluflyer06
                last edited by sluflyer06

                Total backup performance was still slower with NBD backing up to a flash pool so my disks do not appear to be the choke point.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by olivierlambert

                  How many vCPUs and memory do you have in your XO VM?

                  S 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
                    last edited by

                    @olivierlambert 6 and 6gb ram

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by olivierlambert

                      In XO, are you in http in Settings/server URL when connected, or default? (nothing, meaning https)

                      S 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • S
                        sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
                        last edited by

                        @olivierlambert http. I'd changed that long time ago for performance

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                          last edited by olivierlambert

                          Okay so compare secure NBD vs HTTPS perf then 🙂 I'm pretty sure NBD wins.

                          Alternatively, you might try to raise the number of parallel NBD chunks to be download at the same time (@florent knows the setting I suppose?)

                          S 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
                            last edited by

                            @olivierlambert okay yeah I can compare to HTTPS. totally game to try whatever setting he's got to increase the parallel work.

                            Insecure NBD would good comparison to http but I don't know how to turn that on, I know the purpose to set in host but there must be a config line to make it work in xo.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • olivierlambertO
                              olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                              last edited by

                              It's only relevant to compare secure vs secure or insecure vs insecure. @florent will guide you when he's around 🙂

                              S 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • S
                                sluflyer06 @olivierlambert
                                last edited by

                                @olivierlambert agree

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • florentF
                                  florent Vates 🪐 XO Team
                                  last edited by olivierlambert

                                  hi,

                                  in theory, the insecure nbd should work when adding the insecure_nbd flag to the purpose of the network . Have you got any error message in the xo logs ?

                                  you can add in the xapiOptions part

                                  preferNbd = true
                                  nbdOptions.readAhead = 20 # default 10 
                                  

                                  also do you remote store disks as multiple blocks ?

                                  regards

                                  S 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 1
                                  • S
                                    sluflyer06 @florent
                                    last edited by sluflyer06

                                    @florent Yes to multiple blocks. I did see this in host>networks page.9d9de7d0-26b2-46e2-8729-09720ee65eab-image.png

                                    I do (and did) have the preferNbd set.

                                    florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • florentF
                                      florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @sluflyer06
                                      last edited by

                                      @sluflyer06 we did a rework on NBD, to be able to use it everywhere, paving the way for some nice features like retry on network error

                                      but it may have an impact on block based backup. I will make a branch which should alleviate this today

                                      florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • florentF
                                        florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @florent
                                        last edited by

                                        @sluflyer06 can you test the speed with this branch based on master https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/pull/6840

                                        The backup job must have only one remote , which must be block based, and without a continuous replication

                                        Warning : this is not production ready, this branch is only to find where the potential gains are.

                                        S 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • S
                                          sluflyer06 @florent
                                          last edited by

                                          @florent How would I verify for testing if its insecure NBD or not? I switched to your branch and rebuilt, I see the same message about not allowed but dunno if that matters.

                                          florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • florentF
                                            florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @sluflyer06
                                            last edited by florent

                                            @sluflyer06 For now , I get back to the first problem : NBD should be faster than xapi export ( or at least as fast)

                                            now I 'm working on enabling insecure

                                            edit : the not allowed is only to inform the user that it can't be set through XO, but it should be used for backup if present

                                            S 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post