XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Can't create bond on pool. Error: You do not have permissions

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Xen Orchestra
    15 Posts 3 Posters 3.5k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • L
      lover
      last edited by

      I have a pool with 4 hosts. Each host has two 10gbs NICs that I want bonded for my management network. When I go to pool and create a new network with the options below it gives me an error saying something along the lines of "You do not have permissions to create this bond".
      d6bd6a71-5a59-46d2-a913-216311d57361-Screenshot_20240520_102219.png
      Then one host out of the four in the pool will go offline and I will need to do an emergency network reset to get it back online.

      Any ideas?

      DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • L
        lover @Danp
        last edited by

        Thank you @Danp , that suggestion worked! For anyone seeing this in the future, I just bond the nics on the master before adding the rest of the hosts to the pool.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 2
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          Hi,

          Are you an XO admin user?

          L 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • L
            lover @olivierlambert
            last edited by

            @olivierlambert Yes I am. There is only the admin user created on this instance. I should also point out the bond name shows in a weird state in the network tab after I click create and get the error.
            807a8c81-1c89-4a94-9bf3-3c352ce6bb6d-Screenshot_20240520_111658.png

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              Can you provide the exact error message please?

              L 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • L
                lover @olivierlambert
                last edited by lover

                @olivierlambert
                I deleted the interface and when I recreated it I got the following error.
                473786e4-e7da-46ee-a1dd-ca87ea661ed4-Screenshot_20240520_112509.png

                network.createBonded
                {
                  "bondMode": "active-backup",
                  "description": "10gbs management bond",
                  "name": "ManagmentBond",
                  "pifs": [
                    "b36951c4-f76c-b67e-daec-9561912dc35b",
                    "5929269c-3c60-911e-fe61-0bc17f5c2ff5"
                  ],
                  "pool": "5f2a6a71-02bb-fd53-44da-5fd90e196ded"
                }
                {
                  "code": "CANNOT_CONTACT_HOST",
                  "params": [
                    "OpaqueRef:0dd44cf9-9d29-4750-92c6-69860d47e8f1"
                  ],
                  "call": {
                    "method": "Bond.create",
                    "params": [
                      "OpaqueRef:94e60751-0bd5-4496-9600-eac492c8d9f8",
                      [
                        "OpaqueRef:971d61e6-2f42-4515-b6ec-5e8a0a169a9d",
                        "OpaqueRef:683a3eb6-9f61-4b8d-9aaf-2aba9b346ed0"
                      ],
                      "",
                      "active-backup"
                    ]
                  },
                  "message": "CANNOT_CONTACT_HOST(OpaqueRef:0dd44cf9-9d29-4750-92c6-69860d47e8f1)",
                  "name": "XapiError",
                  "stack": "XapiError: CANNOT_CONTACT_HOST(OpaqueRef:0dd44cf9-9d29-4750-92c6-69860d47e8f1)
                    at Function.wrap (file:///opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202405161431/packages/xen-api/_XapiError.mjs:16:12)
                    at file:///opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202405161431/packages/xen-api/transports/json-rpc.mjs:38:21
                    at runNextTicks (node:internal/process/task_queues:60:5)
                    at processImmediate (node:internal/timers:447:9)
                    at process.callbackTrampoline (node:internal/async_hooks:128:17)"
                }
                

                All my hosts are up and running and show green in the pool hosts section.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by

                  All hosts of the pool are working? Because it tells you there's one host of the pool that can't be reach.

                  L 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 1
                  • L
                    lover @olivierlambert
                    last edited by

                    @olivierlambert Xen Orchestra is showing the are all good. I can connect to them locally too and they are behaving like normal. Is it because they are currently using the interface I want bonded?

                    DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanpD
                      Danp Pro Support Team @lover
                      last edited by

                      @lover It will show you the problematic host if you go to Home > Hosts in XOA and then replace the default filter with "0dd44cf9-9d29-4750-92c6-69860d47e8f1" (without the quotes).

                      L 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • L
                        lover @Danp
                        last edited by

                        Thanks for the replies Dan and Olivier.

                        @Danp the host it points to is online and I can ping back and forth between them and its showing running in XO.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • DanpD
                          Danp Pro Support Team @lover
                          last edited by

                          @lover said in Can't create bond on pool. Error: You do not have permissions:

                          Then one host out of the four in the pool will go offline and I will need to do an emergency network reset to get it back online.

                          Is this the same host as indicated by the OpaqueRef?

                          L 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • L
                            lover @Danp
                            last edited by lover

                            @Danp It's a different one each time. If I repeat the steps the next one in line will go offline. Also, I was able to create a bond for the faster NICs with no issues which I'm guessing is because they were not in use.

                            Edit: I've also tried with that OpaqueRef not in the pool and it will just bring a different one offline.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • L
                              lover
                              last edited by

                              I'm still having this issue. Anyone have any ideas?

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • DanpD
                                Danp Pro Support Team
                                last edited by

                                If you are still in the POC phase, I would rebuild the pool where you only add the pool members after configuring the networking on the pool master.

                                L 2 Replies Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • L
                                  lover @Danp
                                  last edited by

                                  @Danp I will do that, Thank you for the suggestion.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • L lover marked this topic as a question on
                                  • L lover has marked this topic as solved on
                                  • L
                                    lover @Danp
                                    last edited by

                                    Thank you @Danp , that suggestion worked! For anyone seeing this in the future, I just bond the nics on the master before adding the rest of the hosts to the pool.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 2
                                    • olivierlambertO olivierlambert has marked this topic as solved on

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                    Register Login
                                    • First post
                                      Last post