XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Help moving VMs from XenServer 6.0.2 to XCP-ng 8.3

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    5 Posts 3 Posters 1.2k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T
      typerlc
      last edited by

      I am trying to migrate VMs from a very old pool (XS6.0.2) to XCP-ng 8.3 using Xen Orchestra.

      I've tried using "migrate" but get an error because "VM.assert_can_migrate" is not supported by xapi on XS6.0.2, and the process ends when that request fails.

      I've tried using the XO replication mechanism, but it fails with the error "FIELD_TYPE_ERROR(key)
      This is a XenServer/XCP-ng error"

      I guess I can export from the source pool to a file and import to the new pool, but I'm wondering if there is any other way I've missed that might make this less painful?

      Thanks!

      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • W
        wmazren @typerlc
        last edited by

        @typerlc

        We use clonezilla method and migrate 100 over VMs with about 15TB of VDI in 2 weekends.

        Best regards,
        Azren

        T 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • T
          typerlc @wmazren
          last edited by

          @wmazren Thanks. I've tried that too. But the src VMs are PV and converting to HVM doesn't seem to work.

          I ended up exporting one VM manually, imported into XCP-ng 8.3 but still had problems converting from PV to HVM.

          I'll keep trying different things.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • T
            typerlc
            last edited by

            I finally got the PV to HVM working ... forgot to remove the console=hvc0 entry from the kernel params in grub.

            Now, to migrate the rest of the VMs ... I think I will just continue with export/import over ssh. It seems to work at a reasonable speed.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              Excellent news! Keep us posted 🙂

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              • First post
                Last post