XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    transport-email unable to send to GMail recipient

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    35 Posts 5 Posters 16.2k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C
      CJ @Andrew
      last edited by CJ

      @Andrew @olivierlambert If anyone can provide me with the proper place to look for logs, etc, I can attempt to determine what's going on. My XOA is a source install as well.

      Also, now that I know what's causing the problem, I can use my own domain to review the test messages as they still work.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        So if XO from sources it's NOT XOA 😉 (XOA is only meant for the virtual appliance we deliver). I'll be curious to see if you have the same issue with XOA, that would help to rule out a XO-related issue 🙂

        C 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • C
          CJ @olivierlambert
          last edited by

          @olivierlambert Sorry, didn't realize.

          How can I test it in XOA? I don't have the transport-email plugin.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • C
            CJ @Andrew
            last edited by

            This post is deleted!
            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • C
              CJ @Andrew
              last edited by CJ

              @Andrew I think I figured out why it's happening. It looks like NodeMailer is getting the hostname and because mine isn't a FQDN then it sets the default hostname to 127.0.0.1

              https://github.com/nodemailer/nodemailer/blob/master/lib/smtp-connection/index.js#L1788

              Is your hostname a FQDN?

              Apparently Debian thinks hostname should not return a FQDN. https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html#_the_hostname

              C 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • C
                CJ @CJ
                last edited by

                @olivierlambert @Andrew That did it. If the hostname of the machine doesn't contain a . then NodeMailer sets it to 127.0.0.1 and therefore sends helo 127.0.0.1 when it connects to the SMTP server.

                It looks like if a client name is passed to NodeMailer it skips this check, so would it be possible for XO to expose the field as an optional parameter?

                julien-fJ 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by

                  Thanks for your feedback, let me add @julien-f in the convo

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • julien-fJ
                    julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team @CJ
                    last edited by

                    @CJ Which field would you want to be optional? 🤔

                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • C
                      CJ @julien-f
                      last edited by

                      @julien-f The client hostname, although I don't know that that's really the best solution. This seems like a weird edge case that doesn't seem to affect most people.

                      Right now I've added the domain to my /etc/hostname file even though it's against Debian convention.

                      julien-fJ 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • julien-fJ
                        julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team @CJ
                        last edited by

                        @CJ Please test the branch email-local-hostname which make the local hostname configurable and keep me posted.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • First post
                          Last post