Good morning, afternoon, evening or night to everybody.
The beta release of XCP-ng 8.0 is available right now .
- Based on Citrix Hypervisor 8.0 (see https://xen-orchestra.com/blog/xenserver-7-6/).
- New kernel (4.19), updated CentOS packages (7.2 => 7.5)
- Xen 4.11
- New hardware supported thanks to the new kernel. Some older hardware is not supported anymore. It's still expected work in most cases but security cannot be guaranteed for those especially against
side-channelattacks on legacy Intel CPUs. See Citrix's Hardware Compatibility List. Note: in 7.6 we've started providing alternate drivers for some hardware. That's something we intend to keep doing, so that we can extend the compatibility list whenever possible. See https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Kernel-modules-policy.
- ). Note: in 7.6 we've started providing alternate drivers
- Experimental UEFI support for guests (not tested yet: have fun and report!)
- An updated welcome HTML page with the ability to install Xen Orchestra Appliance directly from there (see below). Tell us how it works for you and what you think of it!
- A new implementation of the infamous
emu-manager, rewritten in C. Test live migrations extensively!
- Mirrors: you can offer mirrors and
yumnow pulls from them: https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Mirrors
- Already includes the latest patches for MDS attacks.
- The net-install installer now checks the signature of the downloaded RPMs against our GPG key, which is becoming more important now that we're delegating downloads to mirrors.
- Status of our experimental packages:
xfssupport for local SR are still considered experimental, although no one reported any issue about it. You still need to install an additional package for it to work:
yum install sm-additional-drivers.
- We still have the experimental ZFS support and
zfspackages have been updated to 0.7.13. The known limitations (no VDI export...) remain for now.
- No more modified
qemu-dpfor Ceph support, due to stalled issue in 7.6 (patches need to be updated). However the newer kernel brings better support for Ceph and there's some documentation in the wiki: https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Ceph-on-XCP-ng-7.5-or-later.
- Alternate kernel: none available yet for 8.0, but it's likely that we'll provide one later.
- New repository structure.
extras_testingdisappear and there's now simply:
andtesting`. Extra packages are now in the same repos as the main packages, for simpler installation and upgrades.
- It's our first release with close to 100% of the packages rebuilt in our build infrastructure, which is Koji: https://koji.xcp-ng.org. Getting to this stage was a long path, so even if it changes nothing for users it's a big step for us. For the curious ones, more about the build process at https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Development-process-tour.
At this stage you should be aware that our main documentation is in our wiki and you should also know that you can all take part in completing it. Since the previous release, it has improved a lot but there's still a lot to improve.
How to upgrade
As usual, there should be two different upgrade methods: classical upgrade via installation ISO or upgrade using
yum-style update is not ready yet. Since this is a major release, Citrix does not support updating using an update ISO, and the consequence for us is that the RPMs have not been carefully crafted for clean update. So it's all on us, and we plan to have this ready for the RC (release candidate).
Before upgrading, remember that it is a pre-release, so the risks are higher than with a final release. But if you can take the risk, please do and tell us how it went and what method you used! However, we've been testing it internally with success and xcp-ng.org already runs on XCP-ng 8.0 (which includes this forum, the main repository and the mirror redirector) !
Although not updated yet, the Upgrade Howto remains mostly valid (except the part about
yum-style upgrade, as I said above).
- Standard ISO: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.0/xcp-ng-8.0.0-beta.iso
- Net-install ISO: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.0/xcp-ng-8.0.0-netinstall-beta.iso
- Do not use the pre-filled URL which still points at XCP-ng 7.6. Use this instead: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/netinstall/8.0
- SHA256SUMS: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.0/SHA256SUMS
- Signatures of the sums: http://mirrors.xcp-ng.org/isos/8.0/SHA256SUMS.asc
It's a good habit to check your downloaded ISO against the SHA256 sum and for better security also check the signature of those sums. Although our mirror redirector does try to detect file changes on mirrors, it's shoud always be envisioned that a mirror (or in the worst case our source mirror) gets hacked and managed to provide both fake ISOs and SHA256 sums. But they can't fake the signature.
Stay up to date
yum update regularly. We'll fix bugs that are detected regularly until the release candidate. Subscribe to this thread (and make sure to activate mail notifications in the forum parameters if you need them): we'll announce every update to the beta here.
What to test
Report or ask anything as replies to this thread.
A community effort to list things to be tested has been started at https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Test-XCP