[SOLVED] Just FYI: current update seams to break NUT dependancies
-
yum update --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=xcp-ng-base,xcp-ng-updates
It's currently in testing and will move to updates if everything (not only nut) is ok:
yum install --disablerepo=* \ --enablerepo=xcp-ng-base,xcp-ng-updates,xcp-ng-testing nut -
Hi, I just wanted to comment that the provided packages work for all my server. Thank you!
-
@FritzGerald Thank you for taking the time to write up the install procedure. I was able to follow it on my end and it seems to be working. What commands do you use to set the three services to start up automatically at boot up? Right now if I reboot and run upsc apc@localhost it throws an error until I manually do:
upsdrvctl start systemctl start nut-server.service systemctl start nut-monitor.service -
@Kajetan321 Hi, sorry. I am away from office and I can't tell you that off the top of my head right now. I get back to you during the week.
-
Hi @kajetan321, it has been a little while when setting this up. And I have to admit, that I am not sure weather the upcoming instructions are complete. So please take it as an indication:
#################################
Add Service for ups-driver
#################################nano /etc/systemd/system/ups-driver.service[Unit] Description=NUT UPS Driver After=network-online.target Wants=network-online.target Before=nut-server.service [Service] Type=oneshot ExecStart=/usr/sbin/upsdrvctl start ExecStop=/usr/sbin/upsdrvctl stop RemainAfterExit=yes [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target###################################
Add Requirement for nut-server
#################################mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d nano /etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d/ups-driver.conf[Unit] Requires=ups-driver.service After=ups-driver.service###################################
Add Requirement for nut monitor
#################################mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service.d nano /etc/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service.d/nut-server.conf[Unit] Requires=nut-server.service After=nut-server.service###################################
Enable services
###################################systemctl daemon-reload systemctl enable ups-driver.service systemctl enable nut-server.service systemctl enable nut-monitor.service systemctl start nut-monitor.service###################################
Anaylze tools
###################################systemctl list-dependencies nut-monitor.service systemd-analyze critical-chain nut-monitor.service systemctl show nut-monitor.service -p Requires -p Wants -p After systemctl show nut-server.service -p Requires -p Wants -p AfterPlease let me know if it works, since I then would update my documentation above
-
@FritzGerald Understood. Thanks for posting. I will get back to this as soon as I have some time.
-
@FritzGerald I followed the procedure outline above. I did not see any errors when following the procedure however when I rebooted and then ran "upsc apc@localhost" I got "Error: Connection failure: Cannot assign requested address"
When I run "sudo systemctl status nut-server" I get " Active: inactive (dead)"
Running
upsdrvctl start systemctl start nut-server.service systemctl start nut-monitor.servicefixes the issue. It looks like nut-server still does not start automatically at boot. How would I troubleshoot this further? I'm not a Linux system admin

Gemini suggested rebooting and running "journalctl -u nut-server.service -b 0" which resulted in "-- No entries --"
-
I looked into my server and I think I forget some points.
First and foremost I have to say, modifying the systemd files can make you system unbootable! It should not happen, but there is chance since we are also modifying some "natively shipped files". So an update can break your working configuration again and that is not the fault of XCP-NG!!!
That said I assume that after a reboot (prior to any of any input of yours) if you enter:
systemctl status ups-driver.service nut-server.service nut-monitor.serviceyou will see that "ups-driver.service" is loaded and active, but the 2 other services are not. If thats the case I think I can help you since it is related to a dependency problem during boot up. Please do the following:
Remove "nut-driver.target" dependency from "nut-server.service" by calling
nano /lib/systemd/system/nut-server.serviceand remove nut-driver.target from routine. I prefer to duplicate and comment the to be modified rows to keep the original code. It then should look like this. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE, read, compare and modify carefully!
[Unit] Description=Network UPS Tools - power devices information server #After=local-fs.target network.target nut-driver.target After=local-fs.target network.target # We don't Require drivers to be successfully started! This would be # a change of behavior compared to init SysV, and could prevent from # accessing successfully started, at least to audit a system. #Wants=nut-driver.target Wants= # The `upsd` is a networked service (even if bound to a `localhost`) # so it requires that the OS has some notion of networking already. # Extending the unit does not require *this* file to be edited, you # can instead drop in an additional piece of configuration, e.g. add # a `/etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d/network.conf` with: # [Unit] # Requires=network-online.target # After=network-online.target Requires=network.target Before=nut-monitor.service PartOf=nut.target [Service] EnvironmentFile=-/etc/ups/nut.conf SyslogIdentifier=%N # Note: foreground mode by default skips writing a PID file (and # needs Type=simple); can use "-FF" here to create one anyway: ExecStart=/usr/sbin/upsd -F ExecReload=/usr/sbin/upsd -c reload -P $MAINPID [Install] WantedBy=nut.targetAfterwards enable nut.target:
systemctl enable nut.targetThen call:
systemctl daemon-reload systemctl start nut.target systemctl start nut-monitor.serviceNow it should work even after reboot
-
P poddingue marked this topic as a question
-
@FritzGerald Thank you for the follow up. It looks to me like none of the three services are running after a reboot.
Executing
systemctl status ups-driver.service nut-server.service nut-monitor.serviceResults in:
● ups-driver.service - NUT UPS Driver Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/ups-driver.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled) Active: inactive (dead) ● nut-server.service - Network UPS Tools - power devices information server Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nut-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d └─ups-driver.conf Active: inactive (dead) ● nut-monitor.service - Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service.d └─nut-server.conf Active: inactive (dead) -
@Kajetan321
I think you forgotsystemctl enable --now ups-driver.service
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login