XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    RunX: tech preview

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    49 Posts 15 Posters 36.9k Views 15 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • ronan-aR
      ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @theAeon
      last edited by

      @theaeon said in RunX: tech preview:

      Oh now that's interesting. Turns out the containers (both archlinux and the one i just created) are exiting w/ error 143. They're getting sigterm'ed from somewhere.

      It's related to how we terminate the VM process: it's a wrapper and not the real process that manages the VM. But we shouldn't show this code to users, it's not the real code, I will create an issue on our side, thanks for the feedback. 🙂

      theAeonT 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • theAeonT
        theAeon @ronan-a
        last edited by theAeon

        @ronan-a oop-good to know. Now I guess I need to figure out why the new image i created is exiting instead of, well, working.

        Unless there's something in this command that I shouldn't be invoking.

        podman create --health-cmd="wget --no-verbose --tries=1 --spider http://127.0.0.1:8080/ || exit 1" --volume=/root/mjolnir:/data:Z matrixdotorg/mjolnir

        (I start it separately, later)

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • System unpinned this topic on
        • B
          bc-23
          last edited by

          Hi,

          I have started to play around with this feature. I think it's a great idea 🙂
          At the moment I'm running into issue on container start:

          message: xenopsd internal error: Could not find BlockDevice, File, or Nbd implementation: {"implementations":[["XenDisk",{"backend_type":"9pfs","extra":{},"params":"vdi:80a85063-9b59-4fda-82c9-017be0fe967a share_dir none ///srv/runx-sr/1"}]]}
          

          I have created the SR as described above:

          uuid ( RO)                    : 968d0b84-213e-a269-3a7a-355cd54f1a1c
                        name-label ( RW): runx-sr
                  name-description ( RW): 
                              host ( RO): fraxcp04
                allowed-operations (SRO): VDI.introduce; unplug; plug; PBD.create; update; PBD.destroy; VDI.resize; VDI.clone; scan; VDI.snapshot; VDI.create; VDI.destroy; VDI.set_on_boot
                current-operations (SRO): 
                              VDIs (SRO): 80a85063-9b59-4fda-82c9-017be0fe967a
                              PBDs (SRO): 0d4ca926-5906-b137-a192-8b55c5b2acb6
                virtual-allocation ( RO): 0
              physical-utilisation ( RO): -1
                     physical-size ( RO): -1
                              type ( RO): fsp
                      content-type ( RO): 
                            shared ( RW): false
                     introduced-by ( RO): <not in database>
                       is-tools-sr ( RO): false
                      other-config (MRW): 
                         sm-config (MRO): 
                             blobs ( RO): 
               local-cache-enabled ( RO): false
                              tags (SRW): 
                         clustered ( RO): false
          
          
          # xe pbd-param-list uuid=0d4ca926-5906-b137-a192-8b55c5b2acb6
          uuid ( RO)                  : 0d4ca926-5906-b137-a192-8b55c5b2acb6
               host ( RO) [DEPRECATED]: a6ec002d-b7c3-47d1-a9f2-18614565dd6c
                       host-uuid ( RO): a6ec002d-b7c3-47d1-a9f2-18614565dd6c
                 host-name-label ( RO): fraxcp04
                         sr-uuid ( RO): 968d0b84-213e-a269-3a7a-355cd54f1a1c
                   sr-name-label ( RO): runx-sr
                   device-config (MRO): file-uri: /srv/runx-sr
              currently-attached ( RO): true
                    other-config (MRW): storage_driver_domain: OpaqueRef:a194af9f-fd9e-4cb1-a99f-3ee8ad54b624
          
          

          I see also that in /srv/runx-sr a symlink 1 is created, pointing to a overlay image.

          The VM is in stated paused after the error above.

          The template I used was a old debian PV template, where I removed the PV-bootloader and install-* attributes from other-config. What template would you recommend to use?

          Any idea what could cause the error above?

          Thanks,
          Florian

          ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • ronan-aR
            ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @bc-23
            last edited by ronan-a

            @bc-23 What's your xenopsd version? We haven't updated the modified runx package of xenopsd to support runx with XCP-ng 8.2.1. It is possible that you are using the latest packages without the right patches. ^^"

            So please to confirm this issue using rpm -qa | grep xenops. 🙂

            B 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • B
              bc-23 @ronan-a
              last edited by

              @ronan-a The server is still running on 8.2

              [11:21 fraxcp04 ~]# rpm -qa | grep xenops
              xenopsd-0.150.5.1-1.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
              xenopsd-xc-0.150.5.1-1.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
              xenopsd-cli-0.150.5.1-1.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
              

              Are the patches for this version?

              ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • ronan-aR
                ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @bc-23
                last edited by ronan-a

                @bc-23 You don't have the patched RPMs because there is a new hotfix in the 8.2 and 8.2.1 versions on the main branch. So the actual xenopsd package version is greater than runx... So we must build a new version of the runx packages on our side to correct this issue. We will fix that. 😉

                B 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • B
                  bc-23 @ronan-a
                  last edited by

                  @ronan-a I have seen there are updated packages, thanks 🙂
                  After the update I'm able to start the container/VM 🙂

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 3
                  • matiasvlM
                    matiasvl @olivierlambert
                    last edited by ronan-a

                    For those that we like to try by using xe, I did this to create the correct template. I have started from a Debian 10 template, you have to replace with the correct UUID (2 VCPUs):

                    xe vm-install template=Debian\ Buster\ 10 new-name-label=tempforrunx sr-uuid=7c5212f3-97b2-cdeb-b735-ad26638926e3 --minimal
                    xe vm-param-set uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a HVM-boot-policy=""
                    xe vm-param-set uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a PV-args=""
                    xe vm-param-set VCPUs-max=2 uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a
                    xe vm-param-set VCPUs-at-startup=2 uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a
                    xe vm-disk-remove device=0 uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a
                    xe template-param-set is-a-template=true uuid=fc5c67c2-ee5a-4b90-8e0f-eb6ff9fdd29a
                    

                    The template is listed when you issue xe template-list.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 2
                    • r3m8R
                      r3m8
                      last edited by

                      Hi,

                      Same as @bc-23, i get the error :

                      message: xenopsd internal error: Could not find File, BlockDevice, or Nbd implementation: {"implementations":[["XenDisk",{"backend_type":"9pfs","extra":{},"params":"vdi:85daf561-836e-48f1-9b74-1dfef38abe9e share_dir none ///root/runx-sr/1"}]]}
                      

                      This is my rpm -qa | grep xenops output (my XCP-NG is up-to-date) :

                      xenopsd-0.150.9-1.1.0.runx.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
                      xenopsd-xc-0.150.9-1.1.0.runx.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
                      xenopsd-cli-0.150.9-1.1.0.runx.1.xcpng8.2.x86_64
                      

                      Is it always the runx package that causes problems ? Thanks you all 🙂

                      ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • ronan-aR
                        ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @r3m8
                        last edited by

                        @r3m8 Weird, did you run a xe-toolstack-restart?

                        r3m8R 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • r3m8R
                          r3m8 @ronan-a
                          last edited by

                          @ronan-a We have reviewed our SR and template configuration (especially with xe vm-disk-remove device=0 setting) and it works fine (we had already done an xe-toolstack-restart to avoid restarting the hypervisor)

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • etommE
                            etomm
                            last edited by

                            Hello all! After testing this and following the guidelines now my XCP-NG is no more able to run VMs.

                            When I restart the host and try to run a VM it complains that HVM is needed. I just checked the Bios and VT-d is enabled as all the other settings that were there before testing this out.

                            What can I do?

                            ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • ronan-aR
                              ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @etomm
                              last edited by

                              @etomm Could you share the full error message/trace please? 🙂

                              etommE 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • etommE
                                etomm @ronan-a
                                last edited by

                                @ronan-a I could make it start again doing a yum update.

                                Then I think I did an error, because I tried to run the following line:

                                yum remove --enablerepo=epel -y qemu-dp xenopsd xenopsd-cli xenopsd-xc xcp-ng-xapi-storage runx
                                

                                This killed my xapi.service. Not starting anymore. If you will tell me how to find the log I can give to you the trace

                                ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • ronan-aR
                                  ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @etomm
                                  last edited by

                                  @etomm Why this yum remove command? You just deleted what allows to manage VMs. 😅 You can try to reinstall the packages using yum install.

                                  etommE 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • etommE
                                    etomm @ronan-a
                                    last edited by

                                    @ronan-a I was in the bad assumptions that all the things that has been installed in this guide where new packages for RunX.

                                    So when it began to give problems I went for the remove option. My bad!

                                    Everything popped out from the fact that after that I could make the vms start again updating the packages as soon as I was starting the dockerd I was loosing connectivity in the host.

                                    So I wanted to remove it.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • J
                                      jmccoy555
                                      last edited by

                                      Been interested in this since the first blog post but never got round to trying it. Is this still a 'thing'? I'm having little luck trying to get it work and am seeing most of the errors already posted, and have tried the fixes but still no luck. I would guess I may have a template issue.......

                                      Mainly wondering if its worth some effort or if its best to just run docker in a VM?

                                      Thanks.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        Hello!

                                        @ronan-a will guide you if you have problems on making it work 🙂

                                        There's still some work needed to be a 100% feature complete product, in the meantime, if you want to go in production, go for the VM+container inside 🙂

                                        J 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • J
                                          jmccoy555 @olivierlambert
                                          last edited by

                                          @olivierlambert ok, if its still planned to be a feature then I'm up for playing.... testing!!

                                          @ronan-a is this the best way to get the template? The rest of the instructions look pretty simple to follow so I don't think I've got them wrong..... 😄

                                          xe vm-install template=Debian\ Buster\ 10 new-name-label=tempforrunx sr-uuid=7c5212f3-97b2-cdeb-b735-ad26638926e3 --minimal
                                          this uuid is of the SR created by the step in the first post?

                                          xe vm-param-set uuid=a2d46568-c9ab-7da2-57cb-d213ee9d8dfa HVM-boot-policy=""
                                          uuid that is a result of the first step?

                                          xe vm-param-set uuid=a2d46568-c9ab-7da2-57cb-d213ee9d8dfa PV-args=""
                                          uuid that is a result of the first step?

                                          xe vm-param-set VCPUs-max=2 uuid=14d91f2f-a103-da0e-51b3-21c8db307e5d
                                          what is this uuid?

                                          xe vm-param-set VCPUs-at-startup=2 uuid=14d91f2f-a103-da0e-51b3-21c8db307e5d
                                          same again, where does this uuid come from?

                                          xe vm-disk-remove device=0 uuid=cb5a6d67-07d5-b5ea-358a-7ee0d6e535af
                                          and this one too?

                                          xe template-param-set is-a-template=true uuid=a2d46568-c9ab-7da2-57cb-d213ee9d8dfa
                                          uuid generated by the 1st step

                                          Thanks.

                                          ronan-aR 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 1
                                          • ronan-aR
                                            ronan-a Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @jmccoy555
                                            last edited by ronan-a

                                            @jmccoy555 said in RunX: tech preview:

                                            this uuid is of the SR created by the step in the first post?

                                            Right!

                                            Regarding all xe vm-param-set/xe vm-disk-remove/xe template-param-set commands, you must use the VM UUID returned by the xe vm-install command. I edited the post regarding that. 😉

                                            J 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 1

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post