XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Backup fails with "VM_HAS_VUSBS" error

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Backup
    18 Posts 5 Posters 4.3k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • A
      archw @olivierlambert
      last edited by

      @olivierlambert
      10-4

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by olivierlambert

        Ideally, we should probably detect this error message, unplug, backup and re-plug automagically. However, I'm afraid this could trigger a surprise if you are doing a backup while actively using the USB device 🤔

        DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • DanpD
          Danp Pro Support Team @olivierlambert
          last edited by

          @olivierlambert Could this be added as an option under the backup's Advanced settings area?

          A olivierlambertO 2 Replies Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • A
            archw @Danp
            last edited by archw

            @Danp
            In the real world, FWIW department, the usb is a software protection device that works with some architectural software we use.

            BTW...based on your icon for your name...WDE!!!

            DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • DanpD
              Danp Pro Support Team @archw
              last edited by

              @archw Years ago we used a device to convert a serial port into an IP connection. I wonder if you could do something similar where the actual USB dongle wasn't even attached to your XCP-ng host. 🤔

              WDE!!

              A 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • A
                archw @Danp
                last edited by

                @Danp
                Not a bad idea!

                (I was Junior when Bo Jackson got there:) )

                DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • DanpD
                  Danp Pro Support Team @archw
                  last edited by

                  @archw I was there from 83 - 85. I can recall standing in line behind Bo to sign up for classes. 😏

                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • A
                    archw @Danp
                    last edited by

                    @Danp
                    80 to 84! Building science...never saw Bo but Lionel "Little Train" James was in the class I went to (he was leaving as I was walking in...nice dude!!!).

                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • D
                      DustinB @archw
                      last edited by

                      @archw I do not envy you for being stuck on using USB serial keys.... ugh...

                      That has to be some OLD software

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • olivierlambertO
                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO @Danp
                        last edited by

                        @Danp said in Backup fails with "VM_HAS_VUSBS" error:

                        @olivierlambert Could this be added as an option under the backup's Advanced settings area?

                        Probably, just taking care of telling people it will unplug the device for few seconds.

                        N 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • N
                          nuentes @olivierlambert
                          last edited by

                          @olivierlambert Sorry to resurrect an old subject, but I just started to have this issue myself. I have a VM running nut with a VUSB connected to my UPS. I snapshot weekly, so the odds of a snapshot occurring during a power outage are quite low, so I have no problem with disconnecting/reconnecting in order to take a snapshot. It's a small price to pay to be able to automate the snapshot process.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • olivierlambertO
                            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                            last edited by

                            I can't remember if it's in our backlog or if it's already done automatically

                            N 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • N
                              nuentes @olivierlambert
                              last edited by

                              @olivierlambert It doesn't seem to be done automatically yet, as I'm using 8.3 (up to date) and XOA commit 749f0 from 5 days ago.

                              I would love for this to get added. I looked into simply doing this with a cronjob (disconnect/reconnect VUSB before/after the backup jobs occur), but it seems that there is no command to simply reconnect the VUSB without performing a reboot. I'd really rather not need to reboot this VM with high regularity.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • olivierlambertO
                                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                last edited by

                                Ah yes, I remember now. You cannot reconnect a vUSB after disconnect. That's a XAPI/XCP-ng limitation.

                                N 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • N
                                  nuentes @olivierlambert
                                  last edited by

                                  @olivierlambert so is the only option to:

                                  1. power off the VM
                                  2. backup
                                  3. power on the VM

                                  If that's the case, I might just make another VM for the VUSB to attach to.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • olivierlambertO
                                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                    last edited by

                                    Yes, so for that to be done automatically, you can set up "offline backup" option, that will do exactly that 🙂

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                    Register Login
                                    • First post
                                      Last post