XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Management
    20 Posts 9 Posters 6.7k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M
      manilx @abudef
      last edited by

      @abudef You can't migrate VM's between hosts and Disks between storages.

      A 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • A
        abudef @manilx
        last edited by

        @manilx Thanks, how simple! I confused myself by thinking of "Block" as a noun, not a verb imperative, being influenced by the NBD term 🙂

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          Ah yes I see, I wonder if we could make it more clear.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • olivierlambertO
            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
            last edited by

            Pinging @thomas-dkmt

            A 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 1
            • A
              Andrew Top contributor @olivierlambert
              last edited by

              @abudef @olivierlambert @thomas-dkmt I agree. I read block the same way... how about disable or prevent. (French? empêcher)

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 3
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                Disable or prevent are indeed a lot better.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • D
                  DustinB
                  last edited by

                  If I had my choice, Prevent Migration is more understandable.

                  Disable Migration, while it means the same thing, doesn't naturally come out of the English language.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 3
                  • olivierlambertO
                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                    last edited by

                    Food for thoughts @thomas-dkmt

                    thomas-dkmtT 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • thomas-dkmtT
                      thomas-dkmt Vates 🪐 Docs & Knowledge Team @olivierlambert
                      last edited by

                      @olivierlambert @DustinB Thanks! It's always helpful to have a native speaker's perspective.

                      D 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        DustinB @thomas-dkmt
                        last edited by

                        @thomas-dkmt said in "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab:

                        @olivierlambert @DustinB Thanks! It's always helpful to have a native speaker's perspective.

                        Happy to help, worth noting that if a setting like this is enabled on a given VM, there should also be some sort of visual indication on the home screen of XO to annotate that these VMs won't move unless this is disabled.

                        A 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 1
                        • A
                          abudef @DustinB
                          last edited by

                          Done
                          https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/commit/dba08f0fac866c76700a3785a178743770159883

                          D 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            DustinB @abudef
                            last edited by

                            @abudef The English translation is meant to be "Prevent Migration".

                            I think some lines were crossed ha.

                            J 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • J
                              john.c @DustinB
                              last edited by

                              @DustinB said in "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab:

                              @abudef The English translation is meant to be "Prevent Migration".

                              I think some lines were crossed ha.

                              I agree it really needs to actually read "Prevent Migration", that will then make it pretty clear.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • D
                                DustinB
                                last edited by

                                Looks to be correct on the current release of XO from Source and reads as "Prevent Migration"

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • P
                                  panzersrmm
                                  last edited by panzersrmm

                                  Hi! Is there a VM parameter that saves this "Block migration" UI button?

                                  I wasn't able to identify which one it is with command:

                                  xe vm-param-list uuid=<VMuuid>
                                  

                                  Thank you!

                                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • olivierlambertO
                                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                    last edited by

                                    I never remember the exact option myself, we should document it @thomas-dkmt

                                    In the meantime, @Team-XAPI-Network can give the answer 🙂

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 1
                                    • A
                                      andriy.sultanov Vates 🪐 XAPI & Network Team @panzersrmm
                                      last edited by andriy.sultanov

                                      @panzersrmm

                                      @panzersrmm said in "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab:

                                      Hi! Is there a VM parameter that saves this "Block migration" UI button?

                                      I wasn't able to identify which one it is with command:

                                      xe vm-param-list uuid=<VMuuid>
                                      

                                      Thank you!

                                      How do you mean? Is the XO option not persistent?

                                      XO sets these parameters:

                                      # xe vm-list uuid=$UUID params=blocked-operations
                                      blocked-operations (MRW)    : pool_migrate: true; migrate_send: true
                                      

                                      Which you can set like this yourself:

                                      # xe vm-param-set uuid=$UUID blocked-operations:migrate_send=true
                                      # xe vm-param-set uuid=$UUID blocked-operations:pool_migrate=true
                                      
                                      P 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 1
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        It is persistent but people usually want to modify it manually in some cases 🙂 Thanks @andriy.sultanov !

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • P
                                          panzersrmm @andriy.sultanov
                                          last edited by

                                          @andriy.sultanov said in "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab:

                                          @panzersrmm

                                          @panzersrmm said in "Block migraton" option on the VM´s Advanced tab:

                                          Hi! Is there a VM parameter that saves this "Block migration" UI button?

                                          I wasn't able to identify which one it is with command:

                                          xe vm-param-list uuid=<VMuuid>
                                          

                                          Thank you!

                                          How do you mean? Is the XO option not persistent?

                                          XO sets these parameters:

                                          # xe vm-list uuid=$UUID params=blocked-operations
                                          blocked-operations (MRW)    : pool_migrate: true; migrate_send: true
                                          

                                          Which you can set like this yourself:

                                          # xe vm-param-set uuid=$UUID blocked-operations:migrate_send=true
                                          # xe vm-param-set uuid=$UUID blocked-operations:pool_migrate=true
                                          

                                          @andriy.sultanov Thank you for your answer! That's what I was looking for. I was looking directly at the VM parameters, with

                                          xe vm-param-list uuid=$UUID
                                          

                                          and I was directly searching for "blocked_migration". Now I know what to look for.

                                          @olivierlambert Thank you for pinging the appropriate team for the answer.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 2
                                          • P panzersrmm referenced this topic on

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          • First post
                                            Last post