XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved Xen Orchestra
    22 Posts 6 Posters 4.4k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • DanpD
      Danp Pro Support Team @Andrw0830
      last edited by

      Hi @Andrw0830

      This is a known issue (the spinning circle), which will likely be addressed in an upcoming patch. Have you tried performing a migration now that you are at the main import screen?

      Regards,
      Dan

      A 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • A
        Andrw0830 @Danp
        last edited by Andrw0830

        @Danp When I go through the Import steps and hit the Import button on the bottom, I see it spinning and in the past, you'll see the process added to the Tasks list, but nothing new gets added to the Task list. When you go to VMs, it does show the VM powered off, but no disks listed.

        Do you have a manual way of applying the VDDK to XOA or a script file I can run via cli on the XOA server so I know the VDDK is truly applied.

        To give a more overview on what happened, when I had the VDDK wizard come up to choose the tar file to install, the libnbd plugin I had wasn't installed properly, so I wonder if that's why the VDDK didn't get installed properly. Now that I have both plugins installed, I need to repeat the VDDK install.

        DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • DanpD
          Danp Pro Support Team @Andrw0830
          last edited by

          @Andrw0830 Run the following command to remove the VDDK directory tree --

          rm -rf /usr/local/lib/vddk

          It should prompt you to install the library again after doing this.

          A 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • A
            Andrw0830 @Danp
            last edited by Andrw0830

            @Danp

            @Danp said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

            @Andrw0830 Run the following command to remove the VDDK directory tree --

            rm -rf /usr/local/lib/vddk

            It should prompt you to install the library again after doing this.

            Thanks for the command. I was able to reinstall vddk, but I still can't perform an import from VMWare. Checking the log, I can see it's reaching out to the esxi host and shows import of disks scsi:0:0 succeeded, but the status of 'importing vms 20', just stays on pending and there's nothing in the Task that's showing it's doing anything. When you check the VM in XOA, there's still no disks at all, so it's creating the container for the VM, but not importing the disks. I do have the free ESXi which I know didn't support warm migration before, so could that be the issue, or does this new method support free ESXi license?

            Update: Importing a VM that's powered off still works, so the warm migration is the issue, so whether that's because of Free ESXi, just wanted to let you know.

            XOA-Import-from-VMWare-Task.jpg

            DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • DanpD
              Danp Pro Support Team @Andrw0830
              last edited by

              @Andrw0830 What version of ESXi?

              A 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • A
                Andrw0830 @Danp
                last edited by

                @Danp It's ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3. I do notice a speed improvement when importing the VMs when they are powered off, just the disks won't import when the VM is on.

                DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • DanpD
                  Danp Pro Support Team @Andrw0830
                  last edited by

                  @Andrw0830 Did you take a snapshot prior attempting the warm migration?

                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • A
                    Andrw0830 @Danp
                    last edited by

                    @Danp Thanks for the suggestion as that was it.

                    Since warm migration wouldn't work before, I've completely forgot a snapshot was needed before trying the import.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      Is it clear in our doc @Danp to make a snapshot on the VM we want to live migrate, and ourselves? (ie it's not done via the V2V automatically?)

                      M DanpD 2 Replies Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • M
                        MajorP93 @olivierlambert
                        last edited by MajorP93

                        @olivierlambert said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

                        Is it clear in our doc @Danp to make a snapshot on the VM we want to live migrate, and ourselves? (ie it's not done via the V2V automatically?)

                        I was also performing tests with the new V2V VDDK feature and noticed that it is required to manually create snapshots on VMWare side.

                        I was wondering: is there any particular reason that V2V is not creating the snapshots automatically?

                        I think if it would create the snapshots automatically it would be a great improvement and make the feature more intuitive to use.

                        Another thing that I noticed:
                        after successful migration by V2V VDDK tool the resulting VM on XCP-ng side has 2 snapshots:
                        48d6a3ba-154d-422c-a5d7-7caf7fe5a69c-grafik.png
                        Are they required? Can they be deleted automatically by V2V feature?

                        In the old V2V implementation (without VDDK) I did not have these snapshots after successful migration.

                        Anyways: thank you so much for this great product, I am currently preparing the migration of our internal infrastructure from VMWare to the Vates stack and am feeling great so far about the product and the community!

                        olivierlambertO 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO @MajorP93
                          last edited by olivierlambert

                          @MajorP93 said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

                          I was wondering: is there any particular reason that V2V is not creating the snapshots automatically?

                          I agree, question for @florent

                          edit: and about the snapshots on destination too, I wonder if it's normal 🙂

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • DanpD
                            Danp Pro Support Team @olivierlambert
                            last edited by

                            @olivierlambert said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

                            Is it clear in our doc @Danp to make a snapshot on the VM we want to live migrate, and ourselves? (ie it's not done via the V2V automatically?)

                            I believe so, although I know that @florent stated that they need to be updated.

                            @MajorP93 said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

                            after successful migration by V2V VDDK tool the resulting VM on XCP-ng side has 2 snapshots:
                            Are they required? Can they be deleted automatically by V2V feature?

                            IDK if this will be more automated in the future, but you can easily remove these snapshots following the V2V migration.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • A
                              Andrw0830
                              last edited by Andrw0830

                              Ok so wanted to post an update.

                              With a snapshot created, importing from VMWare will allow the snapshot disks to be imported, but once that's done, the source VM never shuts down and the import process just hangs (have to eventually just stop the task from XOA). Within ESXI, the tasks shows whenever XOA reached out with the last task name of "Nfc Get Vm Files" listed (see image). Is there a reason why creating the VM and inputting the snapshot disks work, but nothing happens afterwards? I've even tried to re-create a Debian version of my XOA just in case maybe building the nbdkit and libnbd manually on my Ubuntu XOA caused the issue, but the Debian version has the same issue including the vddk not showing a green checkmark with an ok status at the top. Someone with a working import, can they confirm if the VDDK is supposed to show an 'ok' status or is it fine with the blank status after the ':'? I've downloaded the "VMware-vix-disklib-9.0.0.0.24742305.x86_64.tar.gz" and dragged it into the XOA window and clicked on the button to import it so that should work.

                              XOA-Import-From-VMWare-Recent-Tasks.jpg

                              M 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • M
                                MajorP93 @Andrw0830
                                last edited by MajorP93

                                @Andrw0830 For me V2V also shows a blank status for VDDK and I am using version 9.0 of the .tar.gz aswell.
                                Import of VMs from ESXi works fine and VM get’s shut down on the ESXi side automatically. I do have the little quirks mentioned before though.

                                A 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • A
                                  Andrw0830 @MajorP93
                                  last edited by Andrw0830

                                  @MajorP93

                                  @MajorP93 said in XOA 5.110 - Import from VMWare shows "vddk:" without ok or checkmark status:

                                  @Andrw0830 For me V2V also shows a blank status for VDDK and I am using version 9.0 of the .tar.gz aswell.
                                  Import of VMs from ESXi works fine and VM get’s shut down on the ESXi side automatically. I do have the little quirks mentioned before though.

                                  Thanks for the information. Do you use ESXi Free or paid license? Just wondering if it's paid then that might be why as I've heard before that ESXi free starting with 6.7, didn't allow warm migration and I remember trying to use Starwind's V2V converter a year ago and it wouldn't work with ESXi 6.7 with the free license installed. That was to import an image into VMWare not to export one so not sure if the license limitation would still effect that.

                                  M 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • M
                                    MajorP93 @Andrw0830
                                    last edited by

                                    @Andrw0830 I am using paid version of ESXi / vSphere.
                                    The free version of ESXi has so many limitations that I consider it pretty much unusable / only usable for very limited basic tests.
                                    It would not suprise me if your issue is due to the license limitations within ESXi.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • M
                                      malik.talha
                                      last edited by

                                      Does anyone have the VDDK library available? I need it for migration. If anyone can share it or guide me on where I can obtain it, I would really appreciate the help. Thank you!

                                      J 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • poddingueP poddingue marked this topic as a question
                                      • J
                                        john.c @malik.talha
                                        last edited by john.c

                                        @malik.talha said:

                                        Does anyone have the VDDK library available? I need it for migration. If anyone can share it or guide me on where I can obtain it, I would really appreciate the help. Thank you!

                                        @malik.talha Sorry, but it’s going to be hard to find someone with this who is willing to PM it to you, given that the library is proprietary, alongside the strict licensing and other terms of having it (both new and old). The new terms have restricted the file to much tighter access requirements.

                                        CRITICAL WARNING: Please do not accept or use shared copies of VDDK from unknown sources. Because VDDK contains closed-source, precompiled binaries, it is impossible to see if it has been tampered with. These libraries run with high privileges (often as root or via sudo). A compromised, malicious copy could completely infect your new XCP-ng/XO setup and exfiltrate data from your existing VMware environment during the migration. If you must use a shared file from a trusted peer, always verify its official SHA-256 hash against Broadcom's public release notes before running it!

                                        Anyway, Vates’ staff are of the position that we must respect VMware (Broadcom)’s decision and actions for VDDK. So finding someone willing to send you a copy is likely impossible! You’ll likely need to wait for a solution to be officially developed by Vates, unless you’re willing to help with its development and/or testing.

                                        Are you a company, government organisation or a nonprofit in the middle of a VMware to Vates migration? If so, it may be worth checking your contract with Broadcom and the entitlements you currently hold with them.

                                        If you are willing to help with the solution’s development and/or testing, please contact @Poddingue or @danp for the latest updates and access.

                                        https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/12460/broadcom-removed-public-access-to-vddk-download-links


                                        @olivierlambert It maybe worth doing a blog post about this current situation, what do you think?

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • J
                                          john.c
                                          last edited by john.c

                                          @olivierlambert To expand on why a blog post would be highly valuable right now, here is what it could address to help the community:

                                          Why we need it:

                                          • Centralises the narrative: It stops fragmented, repeating threads on the forum and gives users one official truth to reference.
                                          • Reinforces trust and security: Highlighting the dangers of third-party VDDK sharing positions Vates as a security-first organisation.
                                          • Manages expectations: It gives the community clear guidance on whether they should wait for a native Vates solution or look into temporary alternatives.

                                          What it should cover:

                                          • The Situation: A brief summary of Broadcom removing public VDDK downloads and what that means for migrations.
                                          • The Security Risk: A firm warning against downloading unverified binaries from unknown sources.
                                          • The Vates Stance & Vision: Reiterate compliance with Broadcom’s licensing, and outline Vates' long-term roadmap or alternatives for VMware migrations without relying on VDDK.
                                          • Call to Action: How enterprise, government and nonprofit users can check their existing Broadcom contracts, and how developers can join the official testing/development effort.
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • olivierlambertO
                                            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                            last edited by

                                            Hi,

                                            It's nice to suggest something, but we can't communicate just today about it, but be assured that we have stuff in the pipes to answer exactly all of this 🙂

                                            J 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post