XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    [SOLVED] Just FYI: current update seams to break NUT dependancies

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved XCP-ng
    35 Posts 11 Posters 8.1k Views 11 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • rzrR
      rzr Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @FritzGerald
      last edited by

      Package landed in testing repo please check the related announcement:

      https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/9964/xcp-ng-8-3-updates-announcements-and-testing/432

      Then please confirm the issue is gone by editing post topic with "[SOLVED]" prefix

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 1
      • C
        cobordism
        last edited by

        Just for the record, I get the same snmp errors with OpenIPMI instead of nut.

        # yum update --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=xcp-ng-base,xcp-ng-updates 
        Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
        Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
        Excluding mirror: updates.xcp-ng.org
         * xcp-ng-base: mirrors.xcp-ng.org
        Excluding mirror: updates.xcp-ng.org
         * xcp-ng-updates: mirrors.xcp-ng.org
        Resolving Dependencies
        --> Running transaction check
        ---> Package net-snmp.x86_64 1:5.7.2-52.1.xcpng8.3 will be updated
        ---> Package net-snmp.x86_64 1:5.9.3-8.1.xcpng8.3 will be an update
        ---> Package net-snmp-agent-libs.x86_64 1:5.7.2-52.1.xcpng8.3 will be updated
        ---> Package net-snmp-agent-libs.x86_64 1:5.9.3-8.1.xcpng8.3 will be an update
        ---> Package net-snmp-libs.x86_64 1:5.7.2-52.1.xcpng8.3 will be updated
        --> Processing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit) for package: OpenIPMI-2.0.23-2.el7.x86_64
        ---> Package net-snmp-libs.x86_64 1:5.9.3-8.1.xcpng8.3 will be an update
        --> Finished Dependency Resolution
        Error: Package: OpenIPMI-2.0.23-2.el7.x86_64 (@xcp-ng-base)
                   Requires: libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
                   Removing: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-52.1.xcpng8.3.x86_64 (@xcp-ng-updates)
                       libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
                   Updated By: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.9.3-8.1.xcpng8.3.x86_64 (xcp-ng-updates)
                      ~libnetsnmp.so.40()(64bit)
                   Available: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-33.el7_5.2.x86_64 (xcp-ng-base)
                       libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
                   Available: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-51.1.xcpng8.3.x86_64 (xcp-ng-base)
                       libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
                   Available: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-51.2.xcpng8.3.x86_64 (xcp-ng-base)
                       libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
                   Available: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-51.3.xcpng8.3.x86_64 (xcp-ng-base)
                       libnetsnmp.so.31()(64bit)
        
        rzrR 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • rzrR
          rzr Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @cobordism
          last edited by rzr

          @cobordism said:

          yum update --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=xcp-ng-base,xcp-ng-updates

          It's currently in testing and will move to updates if everything (not only nut) is ok:

          yum install --disablerepo=* \
             --enablerepo=xcp-ng-base,xcp-ng-updates,xcp-ng-testing  nut
          
          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 1
          • F
            FritzGerald
            last edited by

            Hi, I just wanted to comment that the provided packages work for all my server. Thank you!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 4
            • K
              Kajetan321 @FritzGerald
              last edited by

              @FritzGerald Thank you for taking the time to write up the install procedure. I was able to follow it on my end and it seems to be working. What commands do you use to set the three services to start up automatically at boot up? Right now if I reboot and run upsc apc@localhost it throws an error until I manually do:

              upsdrvctl start
              systemctl start nut-server.service
              systemctl start nut-monitor.service
              
              F 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • F
                FritzGerald @Kajetan321
                last edited by

                @Kajetan321 Hi, sorry. I am away from office and I can't tell you that off the top of my head right now. I get back to you during the week.

                F 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • F
                  FritzGerald @FritzGerald
                  last edited by FritzGerald

                  Hi @kajetan321, it has been a little while when setting this up. And I have to admit, that I am not sure weather the upcoming instructions are complete. So please take it as an indication:

                  #################################
                  Add Service for ups-driver
                  #################################

                  nano /etc/systemd/system/ups-driver.service
                  
                  [Unit]
                  Description=NUT UPS Driver
                  After=network-online.target
                  Wants=network-online.target
                  Before=nut-server.service
                  
                  [Service]
                  Type=oneshot
                  ExecStart=/usr/sbin/upsdrvctl start
                  ExecStop=/usr/sbin/upsdrvctl stop
                  RemainAfterExit=yes
                  
                  [Install]
                  WantedBy=multi-user.target
                  

                  ###################################
                  Add Requirement for nut-server
                  #################################

                  mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d
                  nano /etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d/ups-driver.conf
                  
                  [Unit]
                  Requires=ups-driver.service
                  After=ups-driver.service
                  

                  ###################################
                  Add Requirement for nut monitor
                  #################################

                  mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service.d
                  nano /etc/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service.d/nut-server.conf
                  
                  [Unit]
                  Requires=nut-server.service
                  After=nut-server.service
                  

                  ###################################
                  Enable services
                  ###################################

                  systemctl daemon-reload
                  systemctl enable ups-driver.service
                  systemctl enable nut-server.service
                  systemctl enable nut-monitor.service
                  
                  systemctl start nut-monitor.service
                  

                  ###################################
                  Anaylze tools
                  ###################################

                  systemctl list-dependencies nut-monitor.service
                  systemd-analyze critical-chain nut-monitor.service
                  systemctl show nut-monitor.service -p Requires -p Wants -p After
                  systemctl show nut-server.service -p Requires -p Wants -p After
                  

                  Please let me know if it works, since I then would update my documentation above

                  K 2 Replies Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • K
                    Kajetan321 @FritzGerald
                    last edited by

                    @FritzGerald Understood. Thanks for posting. I will get back to this as soon as I have some time.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • K
                      Kajetan321 @FritzGerald
                      last edited by Kajetan321

                      @FritzGerald I followed the procedure outline above. I did not see any errors when following the procedure however when I rebooted and then ran "upsc apc@localhost" I got "Error: Connection failure: Cannot assign requested address"

                      When I run "sudo systemctl status nut-server" I get " Active: inactive (dead)"

                      Running

                      upsdrvctl start
                      systemctl start nut-server.service
                      systemctl start nut-monitor.service
                      

                      fixes the issue. It looks like nut-server still does not start automatically at boot. How would I troubleshoot this further? I'm not a Linux system admin 😞

                      Gemini suggested rebooting and running "journalctl -u nut-server.service -b 0" which resulted in "-- No entries --"

                      F 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • F
                        FritzGerald @Kajetan321
                        last edited by FritzGerald

                        @Kajetan321

                        I looked into my server and I think I forget some points.

                        First and foremost I have to say, modifying the systemd files can make you system unbootable! It should not happen, but there is chance since we are also modifying some "natively shipped files". So an update can break your working configuration again and that is not the fault of XCP-NG!!!

                        That said I assume that after a reboot (prior to any of any input of yours) if you enter:

                        systemctl status ups-driver.service nut-server.service nut-monitor.service
                        

                        you will see that "ups-driver.service" is loaded and active, but the 2 other services are not. If thats the case I think I can help you since it is related to a dependency problem during boot up. Please do the following:

                        Remove "nut-driver.target" dependency from "nut-server.service" by calling

                        nano /lib/systemd/system/nut-server.service
                        

                        and remove nut-driver.target from routine. I prefer to duplicate and comment the to be modified rows to keep the original code. It then should look like this. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE, read, compare and modify carefully!

                        
                        [Unit]
                        Description=Network UPS Tools - power devices information server
                        #After=local-fs.target network.target nut-driver.target
                        After=local-fs.target network.target
                        # We don't Require drivers to be successfully started! This would be
                        # a change of behavior compared to init SysV, and could prevent from
                        # accessing successfully started, at least to audit a system.
                        #Wants=nut-driver.target
                        Wants=
                        # The `upsd` is a networked service (even if bound to a `localhost`)
                        # so it requires that the OS has some notion of networking already.
                        # Extending the unit does not require *this* file to be edited, you
                        # can instead drop in an additional piece of configuration, e.g. add
                        # a `/etc/systemd/system/nut-server.service.d/network.conf` with:
                        #   [Unit]
                        #   Requires=network-online.target
                        #   After=network-online.target
                        Requires=network.target
                        Before=nut-monitor.service
                        PartOf=nut.target
                        
                        [Service]
                        EnvironmentFile=-/etc/ups/nut.conf
                        SyslogIdentifier=%N
                        # Note: foreground mode by default skips writing a PID file (and
                        # needs Type=simple); can use "-FF" here to create one anyway:
                        ExecStart=/usr/sbin/upsd -F
                        ExecReload=/usr/sbin/upsd -c reload -P $MAINPID
                        
                        [Install]
                        WantedBy=nut.target
                        

                        Afterwards enable nut.target:

                        systemctl enable nut.target
                        

                        Then call:

                        systemctl daemon-reload
                        systemctl start nut.target
                        systemctl start nut-monitor.service
                        

                        Now it should work even after reboot

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • First post
                          Last post