XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 11
    • Posts 109
    • Groups 0
    C Offline
    1. Home
    2. coolsport00
    3. Posts

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @julienXOvates ah, ok...that makes sense re: vGPU

      And that's great to hear about V2V. I wanna say I can't believe Broadcom did that....but yet, that's all they've been doing the past 2yrs is "hosing" their customer base so it's not surprising. Looking fwd to seeing what you all come up with.

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @olivierlambert - I'm sure you all (I hope) heard the news Broadcom took down access to its VMware SDDK Toolkit, which of course is a vital part of your V2V Migration tool. That will greatly affect migration ability, or lack thereof, for quite a few potential customers. Are you all in the works for a new migration strategy? I was able to install VDDK on my XO on Sources a while back so I currently have it. But, if I do "pull the trigger" and choose XCP to migrate to for my org, this will be a big deal. And granted, any solution out there has this issue. Just curious of your thoughts on this horrific development from Broadcom....

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @julienxovates - you have any "insider info" on when virtual GPU (vGPU) passthrough will be able to be implemented? Not regular GPU passthrough, but virtual...and with NVIDIA. (my preference) I guess I can use some other card (recommendations appreciated) until it is supported. Is that moreso on the Citrix Xen side of your OS, or some other road block?

      Second question - when do you all plan to implement V2V in XO6?..specifically V2V from VMW. That would be a nice & strong add-in imo.

      Thanks.

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @julienXOvates Great, thanks Julien!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      Hi Vates Dev folks. I have a suggestion on the XO6 UI - when you click an object in the left navigation pane, then select a view on the right (VMs, Storage, or Network for example), can you make the various column headers sortable? Would be nice to be able to sort column headers when wanting to look for various data in a given view. Thanks!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: GPU Passthrough

      @tjkreidl Yeah...we have a "DLS" licensing server to license "virtual apps" of connections to the VMs. Not horribly expensive, but another layer of complexity (at times) & of course a nuiscance πŸ˜›

      I don't know....will be looking into this more. Whether XCP or PVE, at the moment...this is my limitation. We have Cisco Voice VMs. Not sure if you're aware, but those are only supported on VMW, or Cisco's own appliance system. What a crap show! So, we'll have to continue to run a bit of VMW for those even if most of our VMs are migrated to something else. At the very least, I can probably still run my VDI/RDS VMs 1 more additional yr until 2028 until this gets better support.

      Thanks for the info & convo πŸ‘πŸ»

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: GPU Passthrough

      @tjkreidl πŸ€”
      hmm...generally, the 15 VMs would take up much more resources than just one Host would be able to disperse. Let me explain...

      Currently, with VMW, I have just 5 VMs per ESXi Host, and have 3 physical Hosts, 2 NVIDIA Tesla T4 (a bit legacy now) cards in each Host. I virtually passthrough the underlying cards in each Host to each of the 5 VMs. Not entirely sure how VMW does it architecturally, but VMW disperses the load between the cards amongst the 5 VMs. And maybe that's done in conjunction with the NVIDIA driver installed on ESXi. πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈAlso, the reason I only have 5 VMs per Hosts is because I use them for students to RDP into to run high graphics-need engineering applications (AutoCAD, Revit, inventor Pro). I use Microsoft RDS (really an underrated VDI solution imo) and it "round-robins" the student RDP connections amongh the 15 VMs. I can have up to around 10 RDP connections to each VM. But, according to specs, theoretically I can have around 20 RDP connections. So, as you can see...resources can get tight really quick..thus, only 5 VMs per Host. Anyway, that's what I'm wanting to achieve with XCP. I have a little time...till next summer...to make a decision on what h/v to migrate our VMW VMs off of. My hope is that XCP will be the choice. Ultimately, I'm the one to make the choice, but this would be a definite negative. PVE is my only other option. Not sure they have vGPU passthrough tho either (I have yet to research it).

      Thanks for all the info and assist!

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: GPU Passthrough

      Hi @tjkreidl . Thank you for your detailed response, but I don't need/use standard GPU passthrough to 1 VM, but to 15. So I need vGPU capability. From the XCP documentation, it looks like for now, it's not possible/supported due to proprietary issues in the Xen OS, at least with NVIDIA cards, which is what I currently use. I guess I could switch to some other vendor, but would like to stay with what I know. Appreciate it!

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: GPU Passthrough

      @gskger Understood.. Thanks for clarifying @gskger πŸ‘πŸ»

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: GPU Passthrough

      @gskger that's interesting you are using a NVIDIA GPU. The documentation states, "due to proprietary reasons, currently NVIDIA is not supported".. But that's for vGPU, not just general passthrough. I assume you're using it for straight passthrough to a VM and not to multiple VMs?

      I wish this worked for multiple VMs. I'd like to move to XCP from VMW. But, I have till next Summer to decide....

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      And sadly...the documentation for GPU passthrough states currently, due to proprietary code in Xenserver (blah!), NVIDIA is not (yet) supported 😑

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @pdonias Filled out Pierre! Thanks for allowing us to provide feedback!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @MihaiAmbrosie Sorry Mihai...just now seeing your response. I'm looking at this now. I'll need to test it all out. I hope it works! πŸ™πŸ»

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @julienXOvates Ok, great. Sounds good...thank you Julien!

      Also, do you all have GPU passthrough yet? I'm really needing that function for a VDI setup i have. Thanks!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      Maybe I missed this somewhere...but in XO6 > Quick Actions, is it planned to add a Migration option there? I think that is a needed high action item. I don't see Migrate anywhere in XO6 (yet). BTW, I'm going through all the XO 6.x updates posts. I've not yet finished reading through them, so apologies if it was mentioned in one that I haven't read yet πŸ˜›

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @poddingue maybe it was this yr? Heck...the days & months just run together on me anymore πŸ˜› I'll check that out. Appreciate it!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      @poddingue said:
      Depends which one you mean

      Thanks for the update! I meant the one where the VM was hanging because of incorrect boot order; but, good to know about the other issues. I'm moderately ok on Linux, but not so much so to where I fully understand the long boot time you go into (& divinni in the other thread) πŸ˜›

      I had an issue in XO-Lite myself last yr. That sounds a bit like I had; or, I believe the issue was BIOS vs UEFI. If I created the VM with BIOS, I could boot/set it up...but not able to with UEFI.

      Thanks!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: πŸ›°οΈ XO 6: dedicated thread for all your feedback!

      I made it through the whole year's updates on this thread. Took me a while πŸ™‚

      I never saw if the VM UEFI issue was resolved in a patch to XO? (I'm on "sources")

      Also, I scrolled around my XO6 UI...saw several changes since my last logon. You all are making progress! Glad to see. Would like to see some of the Pool ("Cluster") configs make it to XO6 sooner than later if possible (i.e. Load Balancing, HA, etc). Also, would like a "cleaner" config interface for those things than what's shown in XO5. BTW...if I'm missing those configs in XO6, apologies, but I hadn't seen them yet.

      Appreciate all your efforts thus far!

      Oh, and for those who are not aware, Veeam now officially supports XCP-ng for backup. Looking forward to them also enabling Replication like they just did for Proxmox.

      Thanks!

      posted in Xen Orchestra
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: Rolling Pool Update Not Working

      @Pilow - so...I powered down the VM and re-attempted the RPU. It seems snapshots is a deterrent for being able to perform a RPU, because I see VMs migrating now so the RPU can run.

      For specificity - yes, my XCP Hosts are identical (CPU, RAM, etc); there were no affinities set (see screenshot)
      cf9b9ae2-5363-4b66-b367-1b0474e54538-image.png , etc.

      Thank you for the assist!

      I think @olivierlambert or his tech writers need to update the RPU requirements area of the docs. Snapshots cannot be present or RPU will fail. Weird why that is πŸ€”

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00
    • RE: Rolling Pool Update Not Working

      @Pilow Don't think so...this is just a "test" VM; don't think I even knew you could create affinity rules for XCP/XO. Let me check...

      posted in Management
      C
      coolsport00