XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    (Windows) guest IPv6 address doesn't collapse zeroes -> Long IPv6 addresses

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Xen Orchestra
    21 Posts 6 Posters 2.7k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J
      jr-m4
      last edited by jr-m4

      After applying latest updates and commits, to both xcp and XO. The zeroes were still non-collapsed.

      However. Rebooting the VM resulted in the zeroes now collapse properly as expected.

      I had previously rebooted the VM, so I don't believe that was the solution. But I did not check inbetween pulling latest source, and updating XCP. So I'm unsure which update solved it.

      But this then has been resolved.
      Update: Not solved! Now on fully updated XCP & XO, and the VM being rebooted as per post-details above.

      D 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • D
        dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @jr-m4
        last edited by

        @jr-m4 Could you check if your VMs are using XenServer or XCP-ng tools?

        J 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • J
          jr-m4 @dinhngtu
          last edited by

          @dinhngtu said:

          @jr-m4 Could you check if your VMs are using XenServer or XCP-ng tools?

          They are using the vates provided xcp-ng guest tools.
          80a1bf8d-0557-4058-a094-c4f1d3611bc8-image.jpeg

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • J
            jr-m4
            last edited by

            I have now tried updating to the latest version included in the xcp-ng guest-tools.iso. Followed by a reboot.

            At the moment, the zeroes are collapsed. But I won't count my chickens before they've hatched. So I will reply back if they expand out again (as seen before).

            Thanks!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • J
              jr-m4
              last edited by jr-m4

              I believe I have a reproducible method to make it expand.
              The trick aparently is Live migrating the VM.

              After reboot

              Pre live migration:
              5f44f037-3b0a-4b26-927f-f4142399ea4d-image.jpeg

              Post live migration:
              52b4fcbf-d7bb-4810-b610-997dbf98530f-image.jpeg

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • TeddyAstieT
                TeddyAstie Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team Xen Guru
                last edited by TeddyAstie

                Do you have multiple guests agents in the VM (e.g Citrix and XCP-ng ones) that may step on each other for this IP ?

                J 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • J
                  jr-m4 @TeddyAstie
                  last edited by jr-m4

                  @TeddyAstie

                  I do not have Citrix ones. This VM was pretty much freshly installed to test Windows2025 on as pure Vates-maintained stack as possible.

                  Update: Please note my post above. Tha this seems to be triggered by live-migrating the vm

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • J
                    jr-m4
                    last edited by

                    ping @poddingue for visibility as I believe I've found the trigger for IPv6 expanding... Live Migrations

                    poddingueP 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • poddingueP
                      poddingue Vates 🪐 @jr-m4
                      last edited by

                      Thanks for the ping and for narrowing it down; that live-migration repro is a really useful signal. 👍
                      I don't know enough about how the guest tools report IPs back through XAPI to say where the canonicalisation should happen, but it sounds like something @Team-Hypervisor-Kernel might want to look at since the trigger is on the agent side after migration. 🤷
                      If it turns out to be reproducible on another Windows guest version (2022, 2019), that might help narrow it further; no pressure though, you've already done the hard part. 🙏

                      J 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • J
                        jr-m4 @poddingue
                        last edited by

                        @poddingue

                        I have done some more testing.
                        Windows Server 2022 is also affected. 9.1.145-77

                        I also tried the latest WindowsPV drivers from Vates, on Windows Server 2025. 9.1.200-0. And the "problem" still persists.

                        It is a very low impact and low importance "problem". Since it is afaik purely costmetical.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 1
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                          last edited by

                          Still, something to fix 🙂

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            dinhngtu Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                            last edited by

                            I've taken a quick look, looks like it'll be solved as part of the Windows guest agent overhaul, so please look forward to that.

                            J 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1
                            • J
                              jr-m4 @dinhngtu
                              last edited by

                              @dinhngtu said:

                              I've taken a quick look, looks like it'll be solved as part of the Windows guest agent overhaul, so please look forward to that.

                              Thanks for the info. I will be looking forward to that, indeed.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • J
                                jr-m4
                                last edited by

                                I just did a quick test to check. And it does indeed seem that this (small) issue has now been resolved.
                                Tested on Windows Server 25, Management agent 9.2.385-0.

                                Cheers!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 1
                                • J jr-m4 marked this topic as a question
                                • J jr-m4 has marked this topic as solved

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                • First post
                                  Last post