HA causes reboot of xcp-ng nodes
-
@john.c Most interesting, and I fully agree, that a strong host model enforcement policy is really the best and only recourse for such a topology, or so it would seem.
The only other option that comes to mind would be to not put the heartbeat connection on any sort of bond or multipath. That's, of course, not ideal.@tjkreidl Exactly, and you have hit on the exact architectural compromise we've all been forced to make for years.
Moving the heartbeat connection off a bond/multipath and onto a dedicated, single physical NIC does reduce the Layer 3 path alternatives that trigger the weak host leak. However, as you rightly pointed out, it's highly non-ideal. By removing the bond, we introduce a single point of failure (SFP/cable/switch port) directly into the critical HA backplane. We shouldn't have to sacrifice physical hardware redundancy just to keep the kernel's Layer 3 routing engine from misbehaving.
This is precisely why enforcing a strong host model for the Infrastructure Plane is the true architectural solution. It allows administrators to safely use
balance-alb,balance-xor, or multipathing for maximum hardware resilience, while ensuring that Dom0-terminated traffic strictly honors its designated interface boundaries regardless of global metrics.Since we are in full agreement on the root cause and the ideal fix, this looks like a prime candidate for a strategic architectural shift. Hopefully, @TeddyAstie and the @Team-Hypervisor-Kernel can look at how we can implement this structural protection by default—perhaps utilizing targeted
sysctloverrides (arp_ignore,arp_announce,rp_filter) or interface socket-binding for host-terminated infrastructure networks. -
@john.c now I remember, during the installation we used the eth4 as the management interface.
[16:54 dacshyp002 ~]# cat /etc/firstboot.d/data/management.conf LABEL='eth4' MODE='static' IP='172.28.4.11' NETMASK='255.255.252.0' GATEWAY='172.28.4.1' MODEV6='none' DNS='8.8.8.8'Afterwords we created a bond bond0 with eth2/eth3 and used this as the management interface.
The xe pif-list command shows the following:device ( RO) : bond0 management ( RO): true IP-configuration-mode ( RO): Static IP ( RO): 172.28.4.11 device ( RO) : eth4 management ( RO): false IP-configuration-mode ( RO): Static IP ( RO): 172.28.4.11Is it that easy to remove the IP address from the eth4 interface? Because it make no sense to have duplicate ip-addresses.
I think we've had duplicate IP addresses all along, but we only noticed the issue after enabling HA.
By the way what is the correct way to change the management interface? We used the xsconsole. -
@john.c now I remember, during the installation we used the eth4 as the management interface.
[16:54 dacshyp002 ~]# cat /etc/firstboot.d/data/management.conf LABEL='eth4' MODE='static' IP='172.28.4.11' NETMASK='255.255.252.0' GATEWAY='172.28.4.1' MODEV6='none' DNS='8.8.8.8'Afterwords we created a bond bond0 with eth2/eth3 and used this as the management interface.
The xe pif-list command shows the following:device ( RO) : bond0 management ( RO): true IP-configuration-mode ( RO): Static IP ( RO): 172.28.4.11 device ( RO) : eth4 management ( RO): false IP-configuration-mode ( RO): Static IP ( RO): 172.28.4.11Is it that easy to remove the IP address from the eth4 interface? Because it make no sense to have duplicate ip-addresses.
I think we've had duplicate IP addresses all along, but we only noticed the issue after enabling HA.
By the way what is the correct way to change the management interface? We used the xsconsole.If you’re using a bonded NIC what mode is used? If not bonding it will allow for multiple NICs, via bond0-12 etc to show a single NIC. But only use once my above fix has landed, to avoid a return to this issue, unless forcing strong host yourself before hand.
Remove the IPs with the following process:-
- xe pif-list params=uuid,device,IP,management
- xe pif-reconfigure-ip uuid=<PIF_UUID> mode=none
- xe-toolstack-restart
-
@john.c We are using a LCAP bond.
For my understanding, if I remove the IP settings from eth4, the problem will still not be solved because of the known issue with the bond that you explained in “Weak Host Model & HA Heartbeat Failures.”
(At the moment we have HA disabled.) -
@john.c We are using a LCAP bond.
For my understanding, if I remove the IP settings from eth4, the problem will still not be solved because of the known issue with the bond that you explained in “Weak Host Model & HA Heartbeat Failures.”
(At the moment we have HA disabled.)What use is eth4 put to is it still management, if so put it into bond0? In one of my earlier posts on this I also detailed how to in the meantime use sysctl to force strong host, but best to wait for the official update from Vates.
-
@carloum70 I can't really help you with anything specific but I must make a note that when analyzing network setup you must also take into account the Open vSwitch. Looking at the classic Linux networking, bridging and routing facilities is not enough to get you the full picture.
For example, if I remember correctly, Active-Active bonding (non LACP) is implemented by Open vSwitch with so called balance-slb mode. This mode is not available with classic Linux kernel bonding options. What you are seeing (duplicated IPs) is maybe perfectly normal for this kind of setup with Open vSwitch.
I would search for the cause of the issue somewhere else like network congestion. Heart beats are very sensitive to network congestion and can easily fail if you do not dedicate network links for this kind of traffic. If you are sharing the links over which heart beats are sent with some high traffic stuff (storage maybe?), it can easily make problems.
UPDATE: unfortunately I don't have access to these kind of bonded setups any more so I can't check if the configuration differs in any way from yours. My home lab thingies are single network interface only.
-
@bvitnik I think there is some confusing.
During the initial installation we have have used the eth4 (172.28.4.11) as the management interface. Later on we created a bond with eth2 and eth3 and changed the management interface to this bond using the xsconsole, and also used the same ip-address (172.28.4.11). We thought that the IP address had also been removed from eth4 during the reconfiguration, but we didn't check it afterwards. It turns out that this was not the case.
So now I removed the ip from eth4 using the xe pif-reconfigure-ip command.Next step is to use the sysctl workaround @john.c mentioned in an earlier post and enable HA again.
(I also think it would be wise to use dedicated bond for the heartbeat.)
-
@carloum70 I can't really help you with anything specific but I must make a note that when analyzing network setup you must also take into account the Open vSwitch. Looking at the classic Linux networking, bridging and routing facilities is not enough to get you the full picture.
For example, if I remember correctly, Active-Active bonding (non LACP) is implemented by Open vSwitch with so called balance-slb mode. This mode is not available with classic Linux kernel bonding options. What you are seeing (duplicated IPs) is maybe perfectly normal for this kind of setup with Open vSwitch.
I would search for the cause of the issue somewhere else like network congestion. Heart beats are very sensitive to network congestion and can easily fail if you do not dedicate network links for this kind of traffic. If you are sharing the links over which heart beats are sent with some high traffic stuff (storage maybe?), it can easily make problems.
UPDATE: unfortunately I don't have access to these kind of bonded setups any more so I can't check if the configuration differs in any way from yours. My home lab thingies are single network interface only.
The Open vSwitch would have been already taken into account with packet data flow analysis. Though if balance-slb is Open vSwitch exclusive analysis will be needed, but if influenced by kernel then it will also likely be affected.
-
CCing @Team-XAPI-Network and @Team-Hypervisor-Kernel for them to have a look at this strong vs weak host model and the impact on HA.
-
Some update:
After removing the ip-address from eth4 the following messages disappeared
[warn] SC: (script_service_do_query_liveset) reporting "heartbeat approaching timeout". host[1].time_since_last_hb=30408. [info] SC: (script_service_do_query_liveset) "Heartbeat approaching timeout" turned FALSEBy the way I forgot to mention that each time I enable HA the following warning appears in xha.log
Sep 29 13:31:56 CEST 2026 [warn] BM: cannot open bonding status file (/proc/net/bonding/bond0). (2) Sep 29 13:31:56 CEST 2026 [info] BM: this is not bonded. Terminating bonding thread.bond0 (eth2 + eth3) is the management interface and also used for the HA.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login