XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.0.0 Beta now available!

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    123 Posts 24 Posters 177.7k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • C
      cg
      last edited by

      Additionally: I installed XS 7.6 before and 'upgraded' it via USB-stick to XCP-ng 7.6.
      Worked without any problems and VMs were fine.

      Also regarding boot: I had a problem like that with OPSI, as their bootimage had some changes to the kernel, that made it stop.

      What helped was to limit the memory to 2G (2048M). I don't know if/how to add that to the USB-stick, to test if that helps here, too.
      (Tried noapic/noacpi on OPSI before... maxmem helped!)

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        In UEFI, you can edit the Grub menu before starting install. Try to change RAM value there 🙂

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • C
          cg
          last edited by

          I've taken a loot at the USB-stick and found grub config files. What I found was a maxmem of 8192 MB already configured.
          I changed it to 2048M (I don't see any reason why the setup should need more than a few hundret MBs) aaaand it worked.
          As it affected 2 different systems (opsi bootimage for PXE install and CH/XCP) I'm very sure it's a kernel bug!
          Though I can't say which kernels are affected, except that old kernels work.
          When I have time, I may test it on our Epyc server, but I guess that it
          s more about the embedded Vega GPU and the shared memory.

          https://forum.opsi.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10611 Et al.
          I'm not the first one, having trouble with Ryzen/Vega APU and the Linux kernel.

          tl;dr:
          As a workaround, I recommend setting the mem-limit for install stick generally to 2048M, as there shouldn't be any benefit for more anyways and it pushes compatibility.

          Yet have to upgrade the system and see if XCP-ng 8 Beta boots properly (had it still on CH 8.0 for test).

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • olivierlambertO
            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
            last edited by

            Indeed, I suppose it's related to Ryzen+Vega APU, because I can't reproduce on EPYC nor Ryzen without APUs.

            Regarding making the chance upstream, I'm not entirely confident to make the modification, because it's hard to evaluate the impact (our RC is pretty close now). But it's up to @stormi to decide 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • stormiS
              stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
              last edited by

              At this stage, I'd rather document the issue to help people workaround it than change the default values inherited from Citrix (who tested the installer on a lot of hardware). I also suggest to open an issue at https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/issues so that other users that would meet the same issue could share their experience and let us try to estimate whether it's a widely spread issue or something very specific to some hardware.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 2
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                Looks like the best way to me 🙂

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • C
                  cg
                  last edited by cg

                  @cg said in XCP-ng 8.0.0 Beta now available!:

                  https://forum.opsi.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10611 Et al.

                  I created an issue, IMHO it would be good if the problem itself makes it to upstream to either bump someone to fix it or get feedback that problem is known/fixed in version X.Y.Z.

                  For reference:
                  https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/issues/206

                  stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • stormiS
                    stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @cg
                    last edited by

                    @cg said in XCP-ng 8.0.0 Beta now available!:

                    I created an issue, IMHO it would be good if the problem itself makes it to upstream to either bump someone to fix it or get feedback that problem is known/fixed in version X.Y.Z.

                    Thanks for creating the issue.

                    You could test with Citrix Hypervisor and then report it at https://bugs.xenserver.org
                    Maybe they'll want to investigate even if the hardware is not officially supported. If someone can reproduce the issue on supported hardware, that would make things easier.

                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • C
                      cg @stormi
                      last edited by

                      @stormi said in XCP-ng 8.0.0 Beta now available!:

                      You could test with Citrix Hypervisor and then report it at https://bugs.xenserver.org
                      Maybe they'll want to investigate even if the hardware is not officially supported. If someone can reproduce the issue on supported hardware, that would make things easier.

                      Though I doubt it was woth the effort, as the support over there is well known (especially for not supported configurations etc.) I did it - for the reason of trying to improve stuff (and giving back to OSS community):
                      https://bugs.xenserver.org/projects/XSO/issues/XSO-955

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 2
                      • C
                        cg
                        last edited by

                        I just did the upgrade from 7.6 to 8.0.0 beta via USB-stick (with workaround): I successfully upgraded the existing installation including the softwareraid on the first 2 SSDs.

                        # cat /proc/mdstat 
                        Personalities : [raid1] 
                        md127 : active raid1 sda[0] sdb[1]
                              117220736 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
                              bitmap: 1/1 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk
                        

                        Everythings fine, even RAID survived. ZFS stuff will come later. Would be good if that would find a way into XCP-ng Center (is it in XOA yet?) for easier management. Likewise for Ext4.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                          last edited by

                          Find a way to what?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • C
                            cg
                            last edited by

                            New SR -> Type -> ZFS... creatig a new SR via GUI/XCP-ng Center.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • olivierlambertO
                              olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                              last edited by

                              You should really keep an eye on XO dev 😉

                              https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/pull/4266

                              It's coming this week 🙂

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • C
                                cg
                                last edited by

                                My time is (sadly) limited, I can't wacht/monitor everything.
                                XCP-ng Center? 😉

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • olivierlambertO
                                  olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                  last edited by

                                  XCP-ng Center is only community maintained, so feel free to contribute if you want that inside 🙂

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • C
                                    cg
                                    last edited by cg

                                    XCP-ng already ate a bunch of time, and I'm sure it'll continue for testing etc
                                    I'm Sysadmin with very limited coding ability - I'm definately out for that.

                                    I guess it would need someone being good at C#.NET. Also XAPI would probably need to know about it (what may already be, as you're implementing it into XOA)...

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 1
                                    • olivierlambertO
                                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                      last edited by

                                      Clearly, adding feature in XCP-ng Center would require a lot of contributions, that's why I don't think it's the future of XCP-ng "client". Having one great client allows to focus all effort instead of "spreading" the thin capabilities on various similar "ways" to administrate it.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • borzelB
                                        borzel XCP-ng Center Team
                                        last edited by

                                        Yes, this seems to be the case 😕 But XCP-ng Center will remain as it is, at least.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • olivierlambertO
                                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                          last edited by

                                          I think it's a good thing to focus on one "best" tier-one solution, especially on a "small" community like us 🙂

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • bnrstnrB
                                            bnrstnr
                                            last edited by

                                            HP DL360 v7 with (2) Intel E5649 working good so far. Just finished installation and yum updates and everything came right up, as expected.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post