XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XOA won't start HTTPS listen on configured port

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    29 Posts 5 Posters 13.6k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • bill.gertzB
      bill.gertz @julien-f
      last edited by

      @julien-f @olivierlambert

      Thanks for getting back to me, not trying to pick a fight. Loading config.toml.orig is not clear based on what the comments say:

      # This file is automatically looking for at the following places:
      # - `$HOME/.config/xo-server/config.toml`
      # - `/etc/xo-server/config.toml`
      

      xo-server is loading config.toml.orig that just doesn't seem to square with the comments. If it's documented elsewhere in the file and I just missed it please help me find it Just the same shouldn't this behavior be documented in https://xen-orchestra.com/docs/configuration.html? I can't be the only person to make .orig style backup copies before making changes?

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • julien-fJ
        julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
        last edited by

        @bill-gertz Indeed I missed this, xo-server loads all files named config.* with a known extension.

        I have to take a look at why it loads a .orig.

        bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • bill.gertzB
          bill.gertz @julien-f
          last edited by

          @julien-f

          Along with .xo-server.toml as you pointed out earlier and I've experienced :-/. Thanks again for looking into this.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • julien-fJ
            julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
            last edited by

            @bill-gertz AFAICT, this is a log issue, the file .orig is not taken into account for the configuration, I'll fix this.

            Regarding .xo-server.toml, I will not change anything, it's used by some devs in some specific setups, but it's not documented as it does not make sense for user to do this.

            bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • bill.gertzB
              bill.gertz @julien-f
              last edited by bill.gertz

              @julien-f

              Again not trying to pick a fight but your own documentation says to use .xo-server.toml here when compiling from the sources.

              Shouldn't this be changed from:

              Now you have to create a config file for xo-server:

              $ cd packages/xo-server
              $ cp sample.config.toml .xo-server.toml

              To something like:

              Now you have to create a config file for xo-server:

              $ cd packages/xo-server
              $ cp sample.config.toml config.toml

              This is what happened when the 3rd party script ran. I can submit PRs for the GitBook docs, but I don't see anyway of doing that from GitBooks. Is there a repo for this GitBook doc in which I can submit a PR? I'll be happy to submit a PR to the 3rd party script repo as well.

              julien-fJ 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • julien-fJ
                julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team @bill.gertz
                last edited by

                @bill-gertz said in XOA won't start HTTPS listen on configured port:

                Again not trying to pick a fight

                Don't worry about this 🙂

                @bill-gertz said in XOA won't start HTTPS listen on configured port:

                your own documentation says to use .xo-server.toml here when compiling from the sources

                Hmm, indeed, I will change this to avoid any issues in the future.

                @bill-gertz said in XOA won't start HTTPS listen on configured port:

                Is there a repo for this GitBook doc in which I can submit a PR?

                https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/tree/master/docs

                bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • bill.gertzB
                  bill.gertz @julien-f
                  last edited by bill.gertz

                  @julien-f

                  Thanks, I'll lay my cards more directly on the table next time. Glad you're not taking it personally. I'll use that repo for PRs. Thanks again.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • julien-fJ
                    julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
                    last edited by

                    @bill-gertz I've made the change, the documentation will update soon: https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/commit/7b47e4024492d38bca6e928748490e0a4880264c

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      Thanks for the feedback @bill-gertz !

                      Thanks for the doc update @julien-f 😉

                      bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • bill.gertzB
                        bill.gertz @olivierlambert
                        last edited by

                        @olivierlambert @julien-f @Danp

                        Thanks to everyone for the clear, helpful support. Impressed.

                        bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • bill.gertzB
                          bill.gertz @bill.gertz
                          last edited by

                          @julien-f @olivierlambert

                          Submitted PR to change attribute documented as 'host' to 'hostname'.
                          https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/pull/4681

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • ronivayR
                            ronivay Top contributor
                            last edited by ronivay

                            Hi,

                            @julien-f from sources documentation still instructs to set path relative to packages/xo-server like it used to be:

                            [http.mounts]
                            '/' = '../xo-web/dist/'

                            sample.config.toml says that paths are relative to configuration file so this would end up looking xo-web/dist path from $HOME/.config/ since configuration is at $HOME/.config/xo-server/config.toml

                            Noticed this while fixing my "well known installer script"

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • julien-fJ
                              julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
                              last edited by

                              @ronivay Thanks for the report, I'll change this by make it part of the default config, it won't be necessary for the user to configure it themself.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • julien-fJ
                                julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
                                last edited by julien-f

                                In fact it's already the case, I just need to remove this from the documentation 🙂

                                https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/blob/14f0cbaec6244d66266fe2ee47b0bfb5716c2f61/packages/xo-server/config.toml#L99-L100

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • julien-fJ
                                  julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
                                  last edited by

                                  Done: https://github.com/vatesfr/xen-orchestra/commit/14f0cbaec6244d66266fe2ee47b0bfb5716c2f61

                                  bill.gertzB 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 1
                                  • bill.gertzB
                                    bill.gertz @julien-f
                                    last edited by bill.gertz

                                    All,

                                    For anyone that happens into this thread and wondered if the well known installer script was confirmed working correctly. It was fixed as noted above and tested on a fresh install, The rule of thumb, a bit tongue in cheek, when it comes to these files is:

                                    • Leave the config in /etc[/xo]/xo-server/config.toml alone.
                                    • Set the over rides in ~/.config/xo-server/config.toml home .
                                    • Use only /etc[/xo]/xo-server/config.toml and you're on your own.

                                    On the last point point I mean that you need ensure whatever you use there contains attributes for the original file plus your overrides. Copying the sample config packages/xo-server/sample.config.toml to /etc[/xo]/xo-server/config.toml may not capture all of the attributes that need to be set.

                                    @julien-f If missed the spirit of this please, please correct me.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • julien-fJ
                                      julien-f Vates 🪐 Co-Founder XO Team
                                      last edited by

                                      @bill-gertz It depends of how you install it, but it look ok. In our appliances we install and run xo-server as a global service, and there is only /etc/xo-server/config.toml which is used for user customization (you could remove it and it would still work).

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0

                                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                      Register Login
                                      • First post
                                        Last post