XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Great projects have great documentation. Is XCP-ng a great project?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Development
    54 Posts 14 Posters 36.9k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • stormiS
      stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
      last edited by

      Thanks, I've updated it. I'm thinking of a better page title because to me release plan is about future releases, not exactly about support.

      borzelB 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • borzelB
        borzel XCP-ng Center Team @stormi
        last edited by

        @stormi yes, it was a quick thing.. but I also had no better title πŸ˜‰

        borzelB 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • borzelB
          borzel XCP-ng Center Team @borzel
          last edited by borzel

          @stormi Supportplan? Or just Releases?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • stormiS
            stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
            last edited by

            Maybe "Releases and support" (with spaces between words... Not everyone is German :P)

            borzelB 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • borzelB
              borzel XCP-ng Center Team @stormi
              last edited by

              @stormi πŸ˜‰

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • lawrencesystemsL
                lawrencesystems Ambassador
                last edited by

                In addition to the write ups in the Wiki, would it be ok to link my YouTube tutorial videos that I have made on many aspects of the project?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • stormiS
                  stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
                  last edited by

                  Yes, as long as they are clearly identified as third party videos, I think they would be a useful addition.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 2
                  • stormiS
                    stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
                    last edited by

                    I think the main missing piece in current docs is a quickstart guide, as discussed here https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/2427/what-to-do-after-install

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • akurzawaA
                      akurzawa
                      last edited by

                      Hi

                      I can see repetable questions on this forum, indeed xcp lacks of good documentation. But also I don't think github is the best way to make docs. I think Sphinks is better example here: https://wiki.opnsense.org - what do You think about that?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • stormiS
                        stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
                        last edited by

                        github's wiki is not my preferred solution, but it's the most straightforward to let people contribute without first creating an account. In my opinion, that wiki is decent enough and what matters most for now is the contents that is present or missing.

                        T 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 1
                        • T
                          tuxen Top contributor @stormi
                          last edited by tuxen

                          @stormi I've just created a github account but it was flagged right after trying to edit the wiki 😞

                          Is there some sort of permission?

                          FYI, I couldn't edit the wiki without an account. The edit button only appears after signed in.

                          stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • stormiS
                            stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @tuxen
                            last edited by stormi

                            @tuxen There's no permission that I'm aware of. Maybe github has some rule that requires users to wait for a few hours before they are allowed to make edits. Was there an error message? What do you mean with "was flagged"?

                            By "without creating an account" I meant that many people already have an account so they don't need to create yet another account to edit the wiki. In your case, since you did not already have a github account, this isn't true.

                            T 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • T
                              tuxen Top contributor @stormi
                              last edited by

                              @stormi Yes, after trying to save the changes, an error banner appeared with the message "Your account has been flagged". It was indeed a policy for new accounts, according to the github support team. I'll try again, thanks!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • stormiS
                                stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team
                                last edited by

                                I have rewritten a good part of the page dedicated to guest tools in the wiki: https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/wiki/Guest-Tools

                                Feedback and corrections welcome.

                                borzelB B 2 Replies Last reply
                                Reply Quote 2
                                • ruskofdR
                                  ruskofd
                                  last edited by

                                  Far better readability, thanks @stormi πŸ™‚

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • borzelB
                                    borzel XCP-ng Center Team @stormi
                                    last edited by

                                    @stormi supercool πŸ™‚

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • B
                                      Biggen @stormi
                                      last edited by Biggen

                                      @stormi The only thing I would add is using the Citrix tools also doesn't display all pertinent information for the VM as I described back in December in this post.

                                      Edit: Well I can't figure out how to link a specific post in a thread. Is there no way with the forum software to link specific post? Any, you can scroll down some to my post where I have pictures depicting missing VM information when using the Citrix tools. Figured it out...

                                      stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • stormiS
                                        stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Biggen
                                        last edited by

                                        @Biggen I did add already that Windows Update only installs the optimized drivers, not the management agent.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • ForzaF
                                          Forza
                                          last edited by

                                          I think that the "Management Agent" really needs to have its own headline in there. It is the thing that is so confusing. Coming from Citrix it is all bundled, but it isn't anymore and this is problematic.

                                          stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • stormiS
                                            stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Forza
                                            last edited by

                                            @S-Pam I have made tests with Citrix Hypervisor: the Windows Update feature does not install the management agent there either.

                                            The management agent is already covered in the part dedicated to XCP-ng tools so I don't think a headline is needed for those who follow that path. So it's all about part of the documentation that is dedicated to Citrix tools.

                                            Here's the text. How would you complete or rework it?

                                            Using the Windows guest tools from Citrix

                                            Those are not included in the guest tools ISO distributed with XCP-ng for legal reasons.

                                            If you are using Xen Orchestra, you can switch the "Windows Update tools" advanced parameter on from the "Advanced" tab of the VM view. This will allow you to install the tools directly from Windows Updates.

                                            ⚠ This will only install the device drivers for optimized I/O. If you need the management agent, you still need to install it, for example from Citrix Hypervisor's installation ISOs where it resides in the client_install directory.

                                            You can also simply not enable that Windows Update feature and fetch the installer from the client_install directory of Citrix Hypervisor's installation ISO.

                                            If your VM already has XCP-ng tools and you wish to switch to Citrix tools, then you need to do the same kind of clean-up as described higher in this document for the opposite situation.

                                            ForzaF 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post