XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Remove backup bottleneck: please report

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    32 Posts 12 Posters 20.5k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • X
      XCPRocks @olivierlambert
      last edited by XCPRocks

      @olivierlambert Hmmm... this comes from a test lab box, no other activity occurring, VMs are powered off for duration of these backup tests (except the XOA vm, which runs on a different box then the one being backed up), so there's zero load and I don't see the CPU ever getting over even 10% in dom0.

      Have the same issue/see the same results on dual 24 core E5s. Granted those are also 2.2GHZ. What would be minimally acceptable CPU to overcome that 3x performance penalty of stunnel? I guess I should read up on the stunnel limitations more.

      Could it be I'm not giving the XOA vm enough CPU/RAM? Or the wrong topology? I've looked for guidance on that too and haven't seen much online about it (especially in regards to speed).

      Either way, I am excited that we can start taking advantage of that 3x increase in speed. Security can be handled by a VLAN/separate storage network, so really not concerned about using HTTP instead of HTTPS.

      Any tips on how to configure storage/networks to take advantage of every bit of juice available would be awesome.

      Thanks again for all you and your teams have done!!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        @julien-f is doing a ton of work to rewire all backup code in a way it could be split into small bits, so we'll be able to get an easier code to improve and benchmark relatively soon πŸ™‚

        For example, we should have a stream "waiting" info to find which part in the chain is slowing things done. It's really hard without that to know where the bottleneck is.

        Might be a limit in stunnel but as soon we got our "stream probe" we'll be able to pinpoint it more exactly.

        Also, with and without HTTPS, are you seeing an XOA CPU usage change?

        X 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • X
          XCPRocks @olivierlambert
          last edited by

          @olivierlambert Havent looked at that in a while... I'll run a test here shortly.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • X
            XCPRocks
            last edited by XCPRocks

            BTW, this is not quite the exact same setup as before (there are some test vm's idling in the background and I am only backing up a single VM). That said DOM0 on both the host running the VM being backed up and the host running the XOA box were in the 10%-15% range for the duration of the tests and idling around 2-4%

            While the peaks in CPU under HTTPS do show slightly higher, the biggest thing I see is the wide divergence in the CPU on the two cores under HTTPS. Under HTTP, they look to be in lock step. Also note that the RAM usage on the XOA box jumps to full after about 25% of the way through the job. XOA was given 2 sockets with 1 core socket and 4GB ram.

            Oh, and you can see we aren't even maxing 100MBps, let alone a 10GB. Disks involved are single SSDs, SATA6. So I dont expect to see 10GBps but still. Shouldn't I expect to see way more than 50? Those SSDs can easily do 500.

            HTTP/ XOA performance. 3 mins for 18.89GIB
            ef607f06-3102-41ed-a7f6-cbbb157bd0b6-image.png

            HTTPS/ XOA performance. 7 mins for 18.89GIB
            31e89e7c-1088-4cb8-9caa-1f12d0665e4b-image.png

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              Using Netdata would deliver for more insight on what's happening, both on the host and XO πŸ™‚

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • rizaemet 0R
                rizaemet 0
                last edited by rizaemet 0

                Hello,
                Http ~7 times faster than https on our system for cr jobs. Https ~50MB/sec. Http ~350MB/sec.
                xo from source 5.60
                xcp-ng 8.0
                10 gbit connection everywhere
                7dfee5ae-efd7-4edc-b663-b4eaa2f7da06-resim.png

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by

                  @rizaemet-0 said in Remove backup bottleneck: please report:

                  Http ~7 times faster than https on our system for cr jobs. Https ~50MB/sec. Http ~350MB/sec.

                  Wow, 350 is really a nice speed!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • I
                    igor
                    last edited by igor

                    For me, switching to http seems to have increased the backup speed by about 3.5 times as well. However I feel like it's still pretty slow. I went from a reported transfer speed average of 3.26 MiB/s to 11.59 MiB/s across 16 VMs running on a pool consisting of two 8.1 XCP-ng hypervisors and a 5.61 Xen Orchestra Community VM backing up to an NFS share on a Synology RackStation over a 10 Gb/s storage network. When testing the speed with which I am able to write to the NFS share from the XO VM with dd it's averaging write speeds of about 95 MB/s.

                    Anything else I can do to try and figure out where the next bottleneck is?

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      That's slow indeed πŸ˜•

                      It's not trivial. A lot of things could cause that. However, you can test by:

                      • changing backup concurrency to find a sweet spot (one VM, then 2 VM etc.)
                      • give more memory to the dom0
                      • give more memory to the XO VM
                      • having an SSD on the backup storage
                      • having an SSD on the storage repository
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • I
                        igor
                        last edited by igor

                        I will for sure attempt and see how fast it is to backup only one VM at a time... actually I guess I don't know the answer to this but when XO does a delta backup to an NFS remote does it attempt to transfer all VM snapshots at the same time or does it do it sequentially one after the other?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • olivierlambertO
                          olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                          last edited by

                          Please read https://xen-orchestra.com/docs/backups.html#backup-concurrency

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • I
                            igor
                            last edited by

                            Thank you so much for this info, I can't believe I didn't see this in all of my research. With the information from that document I take it back. I am getting full bandwidth since 12 machines get backed up at a time. The individual VM transfer speed in the backup reports was a bit misleading to me since I didn't realize that 12 are uploaded to storage at a time.

                            My initial finding still stands though, going http completely removed the one bottleneck that we had in our backup infrastructure and made it 3.5 times faster then before.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • olivierlambertO
                              olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                              last edited by

                              To get the complete speed, just take a look at XOA network stats while the backup is happening in… Xen Orchestra πŸ˜‰

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • C
                                CIT
                                last edited by

                                Hi,

                                I'm very interested in trying this out.
                                Except I can't find how I should change the master URL?

                                In XO when I click on the disconnect button in the pool view I receive an error.

                                xos.png

                                ChuckNorrisonC 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • ChuckNorrisonC
                                  ChuckNorrison @CIT
                                  last edited by ChuckNorrison

                                  @CIT same here. I was able to switch to http at settings -> server. Remove the server and add with http://ip

                                  Current Backup Speed without change on XCP-ng 8.2:

                                  Duration: 28 minutes
                                  Size: 43.85 GiB
                                  Speed: 26.86 MiB/s
                                  

                                  Speed should be limited to WD Red or my Gigabit Bandwidth to my NFS. The meassured speed is far below. x3 is expected (~80-100 MiB/s)

                                  C 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • C
                                    CIT @ChuckNorrison
                                    last edited by

                                    @ChuckNorrison Ah, thnx for updating... I edited my servers, hope to see some speed improvements!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • savage79S savage79 referenced this topic on
                                    • V vincentp referenced this topic on
                                    • Tristis OrisT
                                      Tristis Oris Top contributor
                                      last edited by

                                      Got about twice speed increase on single thread: 60-80 > 110-120MB with 10Gbit link.

                                      But is this method recomended? I mean authorise now also work with http?

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        The thread is a bit old, since then we got NBD that could speed up things a lot.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Tristis OrisT
                                          Tristis Oris Top contributor
                                          last edited by

                                          yes i understand, just a interesting solution.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                          Register Login
                                          • First post
                                            Last post