XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Remove backup bottleneck: please report

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    32 Posts 12 Posters 20.8k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • olivierlambertO
      olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
      last edited by

      Using Netdata would deliver for more insight on what's happening, both on the host and XO πŸ™‚

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • rizaemet 0R
        rizaemet 0
        last edited by rizaemet 0

        Hello,
        Http ~7 times faster than https on our system for cr jobs. Https ~50MB/sec. Http ~350MB/sec.
        xo from source 5.60
        xcp-ng 8.0
        10 gbit connection everywhere
        7dfee5ae-efd7-4edc-b663-b4eaa2f7da06-resim.png

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          @rizaemet-0 said in Remove backup bottleneck: please report:

          Http ~7 times faster than https on our system for cr jobs. Https ~50MB/sec. Http ~350MB/sec.

          Wow, 350 is really a nice speed!

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • I
            igor
            last edited by igor

            For me, switching to http seems to have increased the backup speed by about 3.5 times as well. However I feel like it's still pretty slow. I went from a reported transfer speed average of 3.26 MiB/s to 11.59 MiB/s across 16 VMs running on a pool consisting of two 8.1 XCP-ng hypervisors and a 5.61 Xen Orchestra Community VM backing up to an NFS share on a Synology RackStation over a 10 Gb/s storage network. When testing the speed with which I am able to write to the NFS share from the XO VM with dd it's averaging write speeds of about 95 MB/s.

            Anything else I can do to try and figure out where the next bottleneck is?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              That's slow indeed πŸ˜•

              It's not trivial. A lot of things could cause that. However, you can test by:

              • changing backup concurrency to find a sweet spot (one VM, then 2 VM etc.)
              • give more memory to the dom0
              • give more memory to the XO VM
              • having an SSD on the backup storage
              • having an SSD on the storage repository
              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • I
                igor
                last edited by igor

                I will for sure attempt and see how fast it is to backup only one VM at a time... actually I guess I don't know the answer to this but when XO does a delta backup to an NFS remote does it attempt to transfer all VM snapshots at the same time or does it do it sequentially one after the other?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by

                  Please read https://xen-orchestra.com/docs/backups.html#backup-concurrency

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • I
                    igor
                    last edited by

                    Thank you so much for this info, I can't believe I didn't see this in all of my research. With the information from that document I take it back. I am getting full bandwidth since 12 machines get backed up at a time. The individual VM transfer speed in the backup reports was a bit misleading to me since I didn't realize that 12 are uploaded to storage at a time.

                    My initial finding still stands though, going http completely removed the one bottleneck that we had in our backup infrastructure and made it 3.5 times faster then before.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      To get the complete speed, just take a look at XOA network stats while the backup is happening in… Xen Orchestra πŸ˜‰

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • C
                        CIT
                        last edited by

                        Hi,

                        I'm very interested in trying this out.
                        Except I can't find how I should change the master URL?

                        In XO when I click on the disconnect button in the pool view I receive an error.

                        xos.png

                        ChuckNorrisonC 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • ChuckNorrisonC
                          ChuckNorrison @CIT
                          last edited by ChuckNorrison

                          @CIT same here. I was able to switch to http at settings -> server. Remove the server and add with http://ip

                          Current Backup Speed without change on XCP-ng 8.2:

                          Duration: 28 minutes
                          Size: 43.85 GiB
                          Speed: 26.86 MiB/s
                          

                          Speed should be limited to WD Red or my Gigabit Bandwidth to my NFS. The meassured speed is far below. x3 is expected (~80-100 MiB/s)

                          C 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • C
                            CIT @ChuckNorrison
                            last edited by

                            @ChuckNorrison Ah, thnx for updating... I edited my servers, hope to see some speed improvements!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • savage79S savage79 referenced this topic on
                            • V vincentp referenced this topic on
                            • Tristis OrisT
                              Tristis Oris Top contributor
                              last edited by

                              Got about twice speed increase on single thread: 60-80 > 110-120MB with 10Gbit link.

                              But is this method recomended? I mean authorise now also work with http?

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • olivierlambertO
                                olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                                last edited by

                                The thread is a bit old, since then we got NBD that could speed up things a lot.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Tristis OrisT
                                  Tristis Oris Top contributor
                                  last edited by

                                  yes i understand, just a interesting solution.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                  Register Login
                                  • First post
                                    Last post