XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    VMware migration tool: we need your feedback!

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Migrate to XCP-ng
    318 Posts 37 Posters 536.2k Views 30 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M
      magicker @olivierlambert
      last edited by

      @olivierlambert said in VMware migration tool: we need your feedback!:

      XO from the sources

      XO from github (2 days old)

      esxi .. 7.0.0 (Build 16324942)

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by olivierlambert

        So the diff for warm migration isn't supported on ESXi 7.0 (yet!). So your VM must be halted first (on the VMware side I mean)

        M 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • florentF
          florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @magicker
          last edited by florent

          hi @magicker

          you should also have additionnal logs in your xo logs

          Thank you for testing it

          regards

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • M
            magicker @olivierlambert
            last edited by

            @olivierlambert ah I see.. other than that!! it works.. Just like magic!! v cool

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 1
            • R
              rochemike
              last edited by rochemike

              Executing the following command resulted in an error until I powered the VM off:

              ESXi host ==> VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 19092475

              Any ideas?

              [11:02 10] xoa@xoa:~$ xo-cli vm.importFromEsxi host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx user=root password=secret sslVerify=false vm=262 network=13d8ab8a-dfdc-1e5c-0e35-0028af26987a sr=e748751e-02fd-28ae-5fa9-d58f5f0dc50a stopSource=true thin=true
              āœ– Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'stream')
              JsonRpcError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'stream')
                  at Peer._callee$ (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:139:44)
                  at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:44:17)
                  at Generator.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:125:22)
                  at Generator.next (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:69:21)
                  at asyncGeneratorStep (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:3:24)
                  at _next (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:22:9)
                  at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:27:7
                  at new Promise (<anonymous>)
                  at Peer.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:19:12)
                  at Peer.exec (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-cli/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:182:20)
              [11:02 10] xoa@xoa:~$
              
              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                Same answer than my previous post: since ESXi 6.5, there's a new diff algorithm šŸ™‚ @florent is working on it, but it's even more complicated than the "legacy" one šŸ˜‰

                R 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  rochemike @olivierlambert
                  last edited by

                  @olivierlambert oh ok, I saw that and thought your comment was specific to the ESXi 7 version.

                  Thanks for the speedy response. I'd love to know how you clone yourself to be so responsive 24/7. Or am I talking to a Vates instance of ChatGPT?

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 1
                  • olivierlambertO
                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                    last edited by

                    Sometimes I wonder šŸ˜“ But mostly because community is always my priority, regardless the fact we are a company with more than 30 people nowadays (with everything included on what is means).

                    M 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • M
                      magicker @olivierlambert
                      last edited by

                      new issue.. I am trying to pull a vm (powered off) from a server I have already pulled 3 vms from (no problems)

                      However, this time it takes a few seconds before the command ends.

                      I can see the vm however, no disk is pulled over at all.

                      no obvious errors in logs.

                      florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • olivierlambertO
                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                        last edited by

                        Weird, you should have at least a reason why it stopped šŸ¤”

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • florentF
                          florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @magicker
                          last edited by

                          @magicker
                          that's a great start that 3 VM goes through without problems
                          is your esxi still responsive after ? did you retry later ? what are the disks size of the failed vm ?

                          M 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • M
                            magicker @florent
                            last edited by

                            @florent Yes, esxi is just fine. All running VMs are happy. I have pulled one more off this server after the failed attempt. Have tried about 6 times .. same result.. VM appears.. process completes after a few seconds.. no disk appears

                            The disc config seems very boring and normal.

                            https://images.dx3webs.com/Zdiy2T.png

                            https://images.dx3webs.com/y4vMSZ.png

                            florentF K 2 Replies Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • M
                              markhewitt1978
                              last edited by

                              Interested in this. I currently have an entire dedicated server running ESXi solely for the purpose of running a licening server for load balancers. ie lowest of low impact.

                              Would love to get that into xcp-ng so the server can be used for something else.

                              florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • florentF
                                florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @magicker
                                last edited by

                                @magicker is there any logs on xo-sevrer side ? If you use a xoa, can you open a ticket and a support tunnel ?

                                M 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • florentF
                                  florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @markhewitt1978
                                  last edited by

                                  @markhewitt1978 that is exaclty the goal of this tool allow users to migrate to xcp/xo stack easily

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • M
                                    magicker @florent
                                    last edited by

                                    @florent What is the location of the logs?

                                    florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • florentF
                                      florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @magicker
                                      last edited by

                                      @magicker
                                      it depends hos you installled xo-server, but in general it's in journalctl -u xo-server

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • U
                                        ulasdem
                                        last edited by ulasdem

                                        Hi,

                                        I have 2 succesfull migrate (Windows and Linux). Windows migrate was successfull but i have to configure network interface after vm opened (as i know this is known issue and about Windows). On the Linux vm (Centos 7) i have regenerate initram and LVM structure, and it is working good now. But today i am trying with different vm's and i am gettin the error below:

                                        xoa@xo-from-source:~$ xo-cli vm.importFromEsxi host=xxxxx user=xxxxxpassword=xxxxx sslVerify=false vm=3133 network=f6c27xxxxxxxx2e5 sr=61e7d4xxxxxxxd8ec3
                                        āœ– Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'footer')
                                        JsonRpcError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'footer')
                                             at Peer._callee$ (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:139:44)
                                             at tryCatch (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:44:17)
                                             at Generator.<anonymous> (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:125:22)
                                             at Generator.next (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:69:21)
                                             at asyncGeneratorStep (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:3:24)
                                             at _next (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:22:9)
                                             at /opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:27:7
                                             at new Promise (<anonymous>)
                                             at Peer.<anonymous> (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:19:12)
                                             at Peer.exec (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:182:20)
                                        

                                        And I am getting this error below. I am sure, My Vm id is correct. I tried clone this vm for change id. But it doesn't changed.

                                        xoa@xo-from-source:~$ xo-cli vm.importFromEsxi host=xxxxx user=xxxxx password=xxxxxx sslVerify=false vm=3161 network=f6c27exxxxxxxxa2e5 sr=61exxxxxxd8ec3
                                        āœ– VM 3161 not found
                                        JsonRpcError: VM 3161 not found
                                             at Peer._callee$ (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:139:44)
                                             at tryCatch (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:44:17)
                                             at Generator.<anonymous> (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:125:22)
                                             at Generator.next (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/regeneratorRuntime.js:69:21)
                                             at asyncGeneratorStep (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:3:24)
                                             at _next (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:22:9)
                                             at /opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:27:7
                                             at new Promise (<anonymous>)
                                             at Peer.<anonymous> (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/@babel/runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:19:12)
                                             at Peer.exec (/opt/xo/xo-builds/xen-orchestra-202302101204/node_modules/json-rpc-peer/dist/index.js:182:20)
                                        

                                        You can see my vm's id in this ss : https://prnt.sc/l29WdT8JVaYy

                                        And my third problem is I have a windows vm around 500 GB and migration continues for 40 hour. There is no status indicator or error message and i can't understand if is there a problem or another thing. I have tried with Xoa before 5.79 update, there was a status indicator on tasks tab. Now I am using XO from source and 5.79 update. I can't see any indicator

                                        I am using:

                                        xo server 5.109.0
                                        xo-web 5.111.0
                                        VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 15160138

                                        florentF 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • florentF
                                          florent Vates 🪐 XO Team @ulasdem
                                          last edited by

                                          @ulasdem I will look into the error message, at least I will make it more informative. How many VM have you in this esxi ? is it more than 100 ?

                                          For the long running import : there is a visible Task only when we reached the importing phase. The first step (when using thin=true) will read the whole disks to detect empty blocks. For now it's visible only in the logs, but we're working on it.

                                          U 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • U
                                            ulasdem @florent
                                            last edited by

                                            @florent Thank you for your message. I have 122 Vm on my one ESXI Host and i am planning to distribute this vms to xcp hosts in our other DC. Does it affecting migration tool how many vms are in ESXI?

                                            florentF 2 Replies Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post