XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Disater recovery backups crazy slow

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Backup
    27 Posts 4 Posters 12.2k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • P
      probain @ludovic78
      last edited by

      @ludovic78
      In the case of such a power outage, the backup would fail anyway.
      And I'm also assuming that you have a separate share/dataset for those specific backups.
      Coble it together with the Health Checks, and it is semi-production at least.
      If it is for such a highly critical environment, that it wouldn't tolerate more than that. Then obviously you should open a support ticket 🙂

      L 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • L
        ludovic78 @probain
        last edited by

        @probain On the receiving remote (smb) the sync is off I also perform a health check on a stripe ssd dedicated to that where it is also off.
        This is a snip of the machine the XOA is running on, what you see is the activity during the health check, I have no idea why this is behaving this way.
        This also happens while taking the backup itself, this is not always the case, if it remains stable I have about 80MB/s speed.
        Considering I have in production vm's that are 700GB in size this is way too slow.
        417a4ee5-ac69-4233-acec-6ec4774f9b75-image.png

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          With CR you will only replicate the new blocks, so after the initial "sync", future runs will be very fast.

          C 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • C
            comdirect @olivierlambert
            last edited by

            @olivierlambert it first run so it's a full copy and 300 gigs took 1.5 hrs. With dr first run take 3-4. I do backups inside to iscsi very fast also. Just DR seems to take twice as long and I'm fully updated. It is from sources but fully updated. I even downloaded the official and tried trial and dr is still slow.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              Please switch to CR to get rid of the XVA generation bottleneck first.

              L C 2 Replies Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • L
                ludovic78 @olivierlambert
                last edited by

                @olivierlambert Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing cr is continous replication and dr disaster recovery right?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote -1
                • olivierlambertO
                  olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                  last edited by

                  Yes. Similar function, just done differently (XVA export vs VDI export).

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • C
                    comdirect @olivierlambert
                    last edited by

                    @olivierlambert that's what I did and performance is fine. Soon as I choose dr (disaster recovery) it takes 2 5 times longer.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      So don't use it. When you use DR, are you using compression or not?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • L
                        ludovic78
                        last edited by

                        It behaves differently and puts much less stress on the cpu
                        Unfortunately, the speed is still a problem.

                        78cd3dd0-ae21-4dc3-99d9-6f3536fe5791-image.png

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • L
                          ludovic78
                          last edited by

                          I will put my xoa on another host maybe this will help

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • olivierlambertO
                            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                            last edited by

                            Your Dom0 might be not powerful enough to generate XVAs at a reasonable speed, so switch to CR and the issue is solved 🙂

                            L 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • L
                              ludovic78 @olivierlambert
                              last edited by

                              @olivierlambert

                              I set the dom0 ram to 16gig on all hosts a while ago, the hosts (4) run on a dell r530 with two 2690 cpu's and 192gig ram.

                              What can I do to improve dom0?

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • olivierlambertO
                                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                last edited by olivierlambert

                                Rather old CPUs (launched in 2012, so 12y old CPU), I'm not really surprised that XVA generation is slow. You can check if you are in Max Power mode in the BIOS though, maybe you are not and Xen can't boost to turbo.

                                But in any case, switch to CR.

                                L C 2 Replies Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • L
                                  ludovic78 @olivierlambert
                                  last edited by

                                  @olivierlambert Ok I will look into this, are there any other bios setting that I would best adjust or set?

                                  Thank you for your help if this does not help, I will open another topic next week.

                                  Have a nice weekend!

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • olivierlambertO
                                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                    last edited by

                                    That should be it. But due to the old CPU, I wouldn't expect XVA generation to be a lot faster.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • C
                                      comdirect @olivierlambert
                                      last edited by

                                      @olivierlambert 2x x5680 xeons 3.3ghz 24 cores should be able to generate xvas I would think so ?

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by olivierlambert

                                        They are able, but not at a great speed. It doesn't matter how many cores, it's likely heavily single threaded and relying on how fast you can do many efficient instructions per cycle. That's why you should switch to CR.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0

                                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                        Register Login
                                        • First post
                                          Last post