XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    NFS Remote encryption problem

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Backup
    32 Posts 3 Posters 13.6k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D
      djingo @olivierlambert
      last edited by

      @olivierlambert yes, same problem with XO commit 78ae1

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        No, I meant XOA on the latest release channel, not XO from the sources.

        D 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • D
          djingo @olivierlambert
          last edited by djingo

          @olivierlambert oh sorry. I don't use XOA. Why would that make a difference? is encryption not working in XO for NFS remotes?

          Please note that I am running this just in my homelab and I have no budget for licensing XOA features that I would need.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • olivierlambertO
            olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
            last edited by olivierlambert

            It's a way to check if it's your installation from the sources or the environment. Differential diag, if you prefer. You can enable the trial to test it for free without any commitment. It's just to help tracking the issue, not to make you purchase XOA 🙂

            D 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • D
              djingo @olivierlambert
              last edited by

              @olivierlambert OK i gave this a shot but deployment is stuck at 20%. I had provided valid network parameters. When looking at the XOA VM (using XO), I can see that the VIF is configured incorrectly (at least at this deploymentstage of 20%), although I have provided parameters that will work when they are actually used.

              I can also tell you that a friend who wanted to try out XOA had the same problem, installation being stuck at 20%.

              I don't think that XOA is the right path for me.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by olivierlambert

                What do you mean exactly? The import task is stuck at 20%? Please wait for a while to see if after 10 or 20 minutes it works. Deploying an XOA should be straightforward.

                D 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • D
                  djingo @olivierlambert
                  last edited by

                  @olivierlambert Yes sorry, I guess I was not patient enough, the import of the VM was incomplete, now it is running and XOA deployment at 80%. I will wait and let you know the outcome.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • D
                    djingo @olivierlambert
                    last edited by

                    @olivierlambert I have setup a NFS remote for backup as I did in the XO from source. I get the exact same behavior as already described for the XO instance from source, i.e. the remote works without encryption and fails with encryption key, error is the same as described above.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      Okay pinging @julien-f about the encryption seems broken.

                      D 2 Replies Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        djingo @olivierlambert
                        last edited by djingo

                        @olivierlambert thanks! I have tried to put the remote on a different filer and there it works with encryption.

                        unraid: does not work
                        truenas core: works

                        This was just for testing purposes. I cannot use the truenas filer, as it does not have enough storage for my XCP backups. The unRAID filer is my only option here. Is there any chance to figure out what goes wrong there?

                        The part that is irritating is that it works without encryption. The way I understood the implementation of remote encryption is that it is independent of the underlying storage (protocol) and thereby there should be no difference for the NFS daemon whether encryption is used or not. Right?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • D
                          djingo @olivierlambert
                          last edited by

                          @olivierlambert @julien-f OK I got this figured out and it may be worth putting this as a tipp in the XO documentation:

                          unRAID offers two kinds NFS exports as shares:

                          • user (a virtual fs layer across the array of several disks)
                          • disk (direkt fs access to the disk, not going through the array fs layer)

                          Normally the disk type share is more compatible and faster. This is where XO remote encryption does not work.

                          XO remote encryption works fine with the user type of shares.

                          I am currently running some backups to see if not just the mount works and that it is actually working in operation.

                          D 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            djingo @djingo
                            last edited by djingo

                            I am now also seeing the "Trying to add data in unsupported state" problem,

                            see this thread: https://xcp-ng.org/forum/post/84594

                            That did never occur when the remote used for this backup was not encrypted.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • stephane-m-devS
                              stephane-m-dev Vates 🪐 @djingo
                              last edited by

                              @djingo said in NFS Remote encryption problem:

                              "message": "ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/run/xo-server/mounts/e782c43e-2ac7-472c-...etc.../metadata.json'"

                              Hi,

                              Can you see if the specified path and file exist?

                              D 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • D
                                djingo @stephane-m-dev
                                last edited by

                                @stephane-m-dev the path exists but it was empty.

                                stephane-m-devS 2 Replies Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • stephane-m-devS
                                  stephane-m-dev Vates 🪐 @djingo
                                  last edited by

                                  @djingo said in NFS Remote encryption problem:

                                  @stephane-m-dev the path exists but it was empty.

                                  The problem doesn't happen on our enterprise NFS server with encryption.

                                  But I tested on a freshly installed personal NFS server, and I get the same error as you if I use encryption.

                                  We are investigating and will keep you informed.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • stephane-m-devS
                                    stephane-m-dev Vates 🪐 @djingo
                                    last edited by stephane-m-dev

                                    @djingo

                                    It seems the problem happens when the directory shared contains non-hidden files.
                                    Can you try to add a NFS remote with encryption on an new empty directory, and let us know if it works?

                                    This is not specified, but the encrypted remote must not contain encrypted and unencrypted file, as they may conflict.
                                    We should add this information.

                                    D 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 1
                                    • D
                                      djingo @stephane-m-dev
                                      last edited by djingo

                                      @stephane-m-dev the folder was positively empty, I explicitly removed all files before adding it as remote. Have you read what I wrote about different share types in unRAID?

                                      stephane-m-devS 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • stephane-m-devS
                                        stephane-m-dev Vates 🪐 @djingo
                                        last edited by

                                        @djingo Do you have any error logs on the unraid server side?

                                        D 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • D
                                          djingo @stephane-m-dev
                                          last edited by

                                          @stephane-m-dev i checked, there was nothing

                                          stephane-m-devS 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • stephane-m-devS
                                            stephane-m-dev Vates 🪐 @djingo
                                            last edited by

                                            @djingo Can you share your NFS config file (/etc/exports) ?

                                            D 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post