XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.3 betas and RCs feedback πŸš€

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    792 Posts 89 Posters 2.8m Views 70 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Tristis OrisT
      Tristis Oris Top contributor @jhansen
      last edited by

      @jhansen ah. maybe only this way.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • jhansenJ
        jhansen
        last edited by

        Status quo:
        I have now reduced the problem to the NBD.
        With an NBD full backup, everything seems to be working.
        With a delta backup, NBD leaves snapshots that are blocked by the control domain of the various Xen servers. These can only be disconnected/forgotten and then deleted after a reboot of the hole pool or individual reboot of all Xen servers in the pool. The last option at least gives you the chance of a reboot without shutting down all VMs, if the pool has several Xen servers. But all servers in the pool must be rebooted.
        Unfortunately, an xe-tool restart is not enough.
        The activation/deactivation of CBT does not matter.
        All backups without NBD run without errors.
        This error occurs on all Xen servers installed from USB Image 8.3 officially. My lab pool, which was updated from 8.3RC2 to 8.3 Official via yum, doesn't seem to have the problem. 1 full backup and 4 delta backups ran without errors and without blocked snapshots.

        As I urgently need a current backup, I deactivated all NBD backups and set the server interface back to NO NBD. The standard delta backups are now running without errors again.

        I left my LAB pool on NBD with CBT to see if the error occurs there in the next few days.

        I actually wanted to create a new topic for the problem, but I'm not really sure which category I should put it under.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • Tristis OrisT
          Tristis Oris Top contributor
          last edited by

          i also removed one 8.3 pool from nbd backup, create the usual one. Looks it work fine.

          MathieuM 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • MathieuM
            Mathieu @Tristis Oris
            last edited by

            Hello,

            Indeed, disabling NBD for the delta backups, they are no more VDI attached to Dom0.

            My upgrade path was from 8.2.1 stable to 8.3 using the ISO installation.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • jhansenJ
              jhansen
              last edited by

              @Tristis-Oris @Mathieu
              Hello, I'm glad I could help you, but it would be nice if the NBD worked. I was able to save a lot of space on the storage with NBD and CBT. I hope that in the not too distant future it will work again like in 8.2.1
              My 8.3 LAB pool, updated with yum, made an error-free delta backup with NBD and CBT last night, just like my last 8.2.1 pool.
              regards Joerg

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                Since you are able to reproduce consistently the issue, it might be interesting to get more logs/debug to find the root cause πŸ™‚ Pinging @dthenot and all relevant people that could help in here πŸ™‚

                jhansenJ 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • yannY
                  yann Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Ajmind 0
                  last edited by

                  @Ajmind-0 there may be more details in the log a bit before those last lines, and they would not be visible because of the screen size and volume of logs. You can switch to the console with a shell and have a look into /tmp/install-log, there may be some more useful info in there.

                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • jhansenJ
                    jhansen @olivierlambert
                    last edited by

                    @olivierlambert
                    Unfortunately, I don't have much time in the next few days.
                    On Sunday I will reset one of the pools with the error to NBD / CBT Delta Backup and then pull the logs and compare them with the one from the working 9.3. Let's see if I can see anything there. If not, I will send you the logs. I will also take a closer look at which processes are stuck there. It looks to me like there are ghost processes running there that don't terminate but seem to continue to block the snapshot. That also seems to be the reason why the snapshot cannot be deleted, except after a reboot.
                    If I have time, I will also set up a new pool with 9.3 RC2 and then update it to 9.3 officially via yum, just to see if it can then also do error-free NBD deltas.
                    Regards Joerg

                    dthenotD 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • dthenotD
                      dthenot Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @jhansen
                      last edited by

                      @jhansen
                      Hello,
                      I created a thread about the NBD issue where VBD are left connected to Dom0.
                      I added what I already know about the situation on my side.
                      Anyone observing the error can help us by sharing what they observed in the thread.

                      https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/9864/vdi-staying-connected-to-dom0-when-using-nbd-backups

                      Thanks

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 2
                      • A
                        Ajmind 0 @yann
                        last edited by

                        @yann

                        the systems freezes after the last screen and it is diffult to catch the log just before the freeze...

                        yannY FinallfF 2 Replies Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • yannY
                          yann Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Ajmind 0
                          last edited by

                          @Ajmind-0 does it still freeze if you add atexit=shell on the linux commandline? In some error situations the installer attempts to reboot the system after a few seconds, this will make it drop into a shell instead.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • FinallfF
                            Finallf @Ajmind 0
                            last edited by

                            @Ajmind-0 try using the save option at the beginning of the installation.

                            stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • stormiS
                              stormi Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Finallf
                              last edited by

                              @Finallf I think @Ajmind-0 already tried booting the installer in safe mode.

                              A 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 1
                              • A
                                Ajmind 0 @stormi
                                last edited by

                                I have started the installer again in the BIOS mode and have finished this process successful. It seems to be that the "EFI" Mode from the old intel server is the problem.

                                As this old equipment is only used as a testing playground I could stay with it as it is. The hardware will never be used as a production system.

                                yannY 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • yannY
                                  yann Vates πŸͺ XCP-ng Team @Ajmind 0
                                  last edited by

                                  @Ajmind-0 this was an install not an upgrade of 8.2.1, right? Was your previous working install of 8.2.1 in UEFI mode?

                                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • A
                                    Ajmind 0 @yann
                                    last edited by

                                    @yann
                                    Yes, it was a fresh install. I have removed any partition layout from the Hardware RAID1 via gparted before I have started from scratch.

                                    The previous 8.2.1 install was also created in BIOS mode. For me it is clear that this old EFI Intel BIOS from 2012 lacks support for this kind of install process. πŸ˜‰

                                    J 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • J
                                      john.c @Ajmind 0
                                      last edited by

                                      @Ajmind-0 said in XCP-ng 8.3 betas and RCs feedback πŸš€:

                                      @yann
                                      Yes, it was a fresh install. I have removed any partition layout from the Hardware RAID1 via gparted before I have started from scratch.

                                      The previous 8.2.1 install was also created in BIOS mode. For me it is clear that this old EFI Intel BIOS from 2012 lacks support for this kind of install process. πŸ˜‰

                                      What model of Intel Server is it?

                                      A 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • A
                                        Ajmind 0 @john.c
                                        last edited by

                                        @john-c
                                        Intel Server (SR2625/S5520UR / Dual Xeon E5645)

                                        L J 2 Replies Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • L
                                          laurentm @Ajmind 0
                                          last edited by

                                          @Ajmind-0 Same problem with DELL PowerEdge R820 and DELL PowerEdge R520:

                                          I had to upgrade in BIOS mode and it was the same thing for a fresh install.

                                          With DELL PowerEdge R240, no problem to upgfrade in UEFI.

                                          J 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • J
                                            john.c @Ajmind 0
                                            last edited by john.c

                                            @Ajmind-0 said in XCP-ng 8.3 betas and RCs feedback πŸš€:

                                            @john-c
                                            Intel Server (SR2625/S5520UR / Dual Xeon E5645)

                                            If you can access from Intel with an account associated with the motherboard. There's a firmware update available which will add EFI (UEFI) mode support, but to enable it may require adjusting a bios setting. That EFI mode will highly likely or even definitely not include support for SecureBoot.

                                            L A 2 Replies Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post