XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    [RHEL kernel bug] XCP vm fails to boot after newest kernel applied.

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Compute
    49 Posts 12 Posters 23.0k Views 14 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • X
      XCP-ng-JustGreat
      last edited by

      This is just a "me too" reply to indicate that I am also experiencing the boot failure immediately after upgrading AlmaLinux 8.10 to the latest kernel 4.18.0-553.50.1. Hopefully, the kernel fix will get integrated soon into the affected and popular RedHat 8 derivatives so that Alma and Rocky 8 et al. can continue to run on our favorite hypervisor. This is a bad one.

      G 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • G
        Greg_E @XCP-ng-JustGreat
        last edited by

        @XCP-ng-JustGreat

        Strange that my fresh Alma 8.10 is still working after updates, makes me think k there is more to this than just the kernel.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • X
          XCP-ng-JustGreat
          last edited by

          @Greg_E Wondering what might be the difference? I am using the XenServer Linux tools version 8.4.0-1 and BIOS boot firmware.

          G 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • G
            Greg_E @XCP-ng-JustGreat
            last edited by

            @XCP-ng-JustGreat

            I'm running the same guest tools.

            Could it be a processor related issue? I'm running AMD v1756b in my lab, haven't had time to try in production that is Intel Silver.

            B 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • X
              XCP-ng-JustGreat
              last edited by XCP-ng-JustGreat

              @Greg_E Maybe it only affects Intel? That would be a new wrinkle. Perhaps other AMD users can confirm if the latest AlmaLinux 8 kernel runs fine on their AMD XCP-ng 8.3 hosts? Just read the above referenced RedHat bug report here: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7116307 Sure enough, it says Xen + Intel in problem description. Check it out.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • B
                bufanda @Greg_E
                last edited by

                @Greg_E according to the Knowledge base of Redhawks it is den Witz Intel CPUs. So you AMD isnβ€˜t affected

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • P
                  phil
                  last edited by

                  According to https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7116307 the bug is solved, but I don't get newer Kernels on Rocky yet.

                  G 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • G
                    Greg_E @phil
                    last edited by

                    @phil

                    Sad that even this documentation is locked behind a Redhat account, I can only read part of the problem description. Not going to make an account because it really doesn't affect me right now.

                    B 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • B
                      bberndt @Greg_E
                      last edited by

                      @Greg_E
                      I made a free account.
                      Resolution
                      The issue has been resolved with the errata: RHBA-2025:4337. Hence, update the kernel to kernel-4.18.0-553.51.1.el8_10 to fix the issue.

                      id assume it arrives soon? I as well, haven't seen it yet.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • olivierlambertO
                        olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                        last edited by olivierlambert

                        It's now available, yes πŸ™‚ After update, reboot will work

                        edit: ha answered for RH, Alma and Rocky will follow soon I suppose

                        G 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • G
                          Greg_E @olivierlambert
                          last edited by

                          @olivierlambert

                          I just updated an Alma 8 and it has the .51 kernel now.

                          B 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • B
                            bberndt @Greg_E
                            last edited by

                            @Greg_E said in XCP vm fails to boot after newest kernel applied.:

                            @olivierlambert

                            I just updated an Alma 8 and it has the .51 kernel now.

                            Tried one of my Rocky's and still .50. I wonder where we can see the status of downstream fixes like that? anyone know? thanks.

                            G 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • G
                              Greg_E @bberndt
                              last edited by

                              @bberndt

                              This may sound stupid, but here goes...

                              Does Rocky need to update to .50 before it can update to .51?

                              I'd guess no, but I've been away from RHEL based stuff since the IBM rug pull. Only coming back because I may need it in the future as I jockey around trying to improve my paycheck.

                              B 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • B
                                bberndt @Greg_E
                                last edited by

                                @Greg_E said in XCP vm fails to boot after newest kernel applied.:

                                @bberndt

                                This may sound stupid, but here goes...

                                Does Rocky need to update to .50 before it can update to .51?

                                I'd guess no, but I've been away from RHEL based stuff since the IBM rug pull. Only coming back because I may need it in the future as I jockey around trying to improve my paycheck.

                                https://bugs.rockylinux.org/view.php?id=9307
                                so, prolly soon-ish.

                                G 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • G
                                  Greg_E @bberndt
                                  last edited by

                                  @bberndt

                                  Alma must have dropped everything to push this out. I wonder what Oracle is doing, guessing they were hit by this too. I'd guess Rocky has this out pretty fast, they know it is important.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • G
                                    glreed735
                                    last edited by

                                    I updated my Redhat 8 instances to the .51 kernel and it's back to working.

                                    The kernel version 4.18.0-553.51.1.el8_10.x86_64 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 was released on April 30, 2025, as part of the bug fix advisory RHBA-2025:4337. ​

                                    This update addresses various issues and includes enhancements to improve system stability and performance. For detailed information about the fixes and improvements in this release, you can refer to the official Red Hat advisory.

                                    B 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • B
                                      bberndt @glreed735
                                      last edited by

                                      .51 for Rocky showed up today. Running my first test. and from .22.

                                      Seems successful!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 1
                                      • olivierlambertO
                                        olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                                        last edited by

                                        Great news πŸ™‚ Closing this as fixed. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • olivierlambertO olivierlambert marked this topic as a question on
                                        • olivierlambertO olivierlambert has marked this topic as solved on

                                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                        Register Login
                                        • First post
                                          Last post