XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    V2V migrated VMs don't autostart

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved Migrate to XCP-ng
    4 Posts 2 Posters 84 Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • J
      jr-m4
      last edited by jr-m4

      I'm at the moment doing alot of test with V2V (applause on getting rid of the vddk-dependency btw 😄 )

      However, what I'm noticing is that the migrated VMs don't automatically start when the import has completed. This is contrary to current documentation.

      Is this a potential bug? Or am I missing something obvious?

      PS: The imports are all sucessfull. It's just the auto-start part that I'm noticing doesn't work.

      Cheers!

      Commit: dc573

      Template used for testig is: Rocky Linux 9

      tjkreidlT 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 1
      • J jr-m4 marked this topic as a question
      • tjkreidlT
        tjkreidl Ambassador @jr-m4
        last edited by

        @jr-m4 Hi there... A warm VMware V2V migration should indeed start up by itself, so I'm not sure what you are experiencing is normal. This is documented, as you've probably seen, at: https://xcp-ng.org/blog/2022/10/19/migrate-from-vmware-to-xcp-ng/

        That said, in addition, if you want your imported VMs to start up automatically every time your XCP-ng server or pool boots up, you have to enable the Auto Power On / Auto Start configuration.

        For this to work, it must be enabled at both the Pool level and the individual VM level.

        Method using Xen Orchestra (Recommended):
        Go to the VM tab, select your imported VM, and navigate to the Advanced view.
        Toggle the Auto power on switch to ON. (XO will handle configuring both the host pool and the VM flags for you).

        Or alternatively, via the bash shell:
        --> Get your Pool UUID
        xe pool-list

        --> Set the auto_poweron parameter to true
        xe pool-param-set uuid=<POOL_UUID> other-config:auto_poweron=true

        Enable Autostart on the Imported VM:
        --> Get your VM UUID
        xe vm-list name-label="Your_Imported_VM"

        --> Set the VM param to true
        xe vm-param-set uuid=<VM_UUID> other-config:auto_poweron=true

        J 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • J
          jr-m4 @tjkreidl
          last edited by

          @tjkreidl

          Thanks for your long post. I hope someone else will find it helpfull.
          However, I am pretty much reporting that the autostart after importing with V2V might be buggy at best or broken at worst. Not the autostart after boot part 🙂 (that works).

          Cheers

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • J
            jr-m4
            last edited by

            Further testing:

            Testing with newer commit: 27882fb1dcd24fc5257835e60b3fa1002e4e885c
            Still same results.

            I've tried with both original VM powered on, and off. No change in end-result. The VM imports properly. But it doesn't power on automatically as expected after the import has completed. Manual powering on is then needed to be performed.

            I'm only importing 1 VM at a time. And I've tried with the field Number of VMs to import in parallel both at the default value of 2 and reduced to 1. No change in behaviour from this either.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            • First post
              Last post