XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.1.0 beta now available!

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    63 Posts 16 Posters 60.0k Views 9 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • G
      gdixon @olivierlambert
      last edited by

      @olivierlambert Sorry. I'm new to this. Can you point me to a description of how it should look? Thanks. I appreciate your patience.

      stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • stormiS
        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @gdixon
        last edited by

        31c5e1ae-11d3-4bae-af37-004af53ca2e7-image.png

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • stormiS
          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
          last edited by stormi

          @gdixon so I just added a virtual disk to an XCP-ng 8.1 VM (I often use nested virtualisation for testing) that appeared as sdc. I connected that XCP-ng host to Xen Orchestra and used XO to create an ext SR.

          That SR was created as ext4. No need for sm-additional-drivers for ext4 in XCP-ng 8.1.

          Extract from fstab

          /dev/mapper/XSLocalEXT--d0866df5--f9fe--2c3a--1332--8d549468dce7-d0866df5--f9fe--2c3a--1332--8d549468dce7 on /run/sr-mount/d0866df5-f9fe-2c3a-1332-8d549468dce7 type ext4 (rw,relatime)
          

          Note: even for ext local SRs, XCP-ng uses an LVM layer on top, hence the output of lsblk.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • stormiS
            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
            last edited by

            About VM autostart: as @r1 found out, there's a missing symlink in an XCP-ng updated via yum. That's a bug in the upgrade scripts that is present in CH 8.1 too, and we reported it to them.

            Here's the fix:

            systemctl enable xapi-wait-init-complete.service
            
            S H 2 Replies Last reply
            Reply Quote 2
            • S
              speedy01 @stormi
              last edited by

              @stormi @r1

              great find! I tested this, and it appears to at least correct the issue with autostart.
              Thanks

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                Thanks for the feedback 🙂

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • H
                  HeMaN @stormi
                  last edited by

                  @stormi @r1 thank you! I do not have the equipment to test with ch8.1 but this is solved already I see. great catch

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • olivierlambertO
                    olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                    last edited by

                    Indeed, also we reported the problem to Citrix, they might provide a fix one way or another.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • stormiS
                      stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                      last edited by stormi

                      Announcement about our former experimental ext4 SR driver:

                      It is now deprecated in 8.1. For a good reason: in XCP-ng 8.1 and above, following upstream changes, the ext driver now formats new SRs as EXT4.

                      There is no easy way to convert an existing SR created with our driver, so those using it will need to move the VDIs out (to another SR or to export them), destroy the SR and create an EXT SR instead. Make sure to do this on XCP-ng 8.1.

                      The sm-additional-drivers package remains available in XCP-ng 8.1 in order to ease the transition (update: and also because it contains the XFS driver). However I've broken the sr-create command on purpose. Any attempt to create a SR of type ext4 will result in an error with a message that explains that you need to use the ext type instead.

                      Our experimental driver will be completely removed in a later release, possibly XCP-ng 8.2. Unless someone convinces me to delay the removal for a good reason. I will accept reasons such as "I know I shouldn't have used the experimental driver in production, but I did and need more time to convert my SR while at the same time I really need feature xxx from XCP-ng 8.2", but I really would prefer to drop it in 8.2.

                      Feedback from people doing the transition is welcome to make sure we document the transition in the best way possible.

                      S 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • S
                        speedy01 @stormi
                        last edited by

                        @stormi
                        what's the status of the xfs driver? Are you expecting that to be removed/deprecated as well?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • stormiS
                          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                          last edited by

                          No, it's still there and still working but not officially supported.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • stormiS
                            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                            last edited by stormi

                            New leaf coalesce logic using dynamic limits

                            I have backported patches from sm's master branch, that implement a new, smarter, logic for leaf coalescing.

                            Just update your 8.1 beta, restart the toolstack, and that should be it.

                            Those interested in the patches, see https://github.com/xcp-ng-rpms/sm/commit/ed1a55d727846cf5777c8258e6a8f3b068e8a35b (python code).

                            _danielgurgel_ 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1
                            • _danielgurgel_
                              _danielgurgel @stormi
                              last edited by

                              @stormi plus this update?
                              https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX269586

                              stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • B
                                Biggen
                                last edited by

                                All my SRs are using the ext4 driver.

                                So I just need to export the VMs, (to a NAS for example), destroy the SR, and recreate the SR, then import the VMs?

                                I guess I’ll need to use XCP Center for this since I use XO community running on the SR that needs to be destroyed/recreated in a Debian VM.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • nikadeN
                                  nikade Top contributor
                                  last edited by

                                  Did anyone try VM export/import to see how much the performance has been improved?
                                  More interesting would be if someone tried it with 10G or making backups with XOA.

                                  stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • D
                                    dariosplit
                                    last edited by

                                    When will the final version of XCP-ng 8.1.0. be available?

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • olivierlambertO
                                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                      last edited by

                                      RC should be there pretty soon. https://github.com/xcp-ng/xcp/issues/328

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • B
                                        Biggen
                                        last edited by

                                        I’ll wait till 8.1 drops before I mess with changing SR storage types.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • stormiS
                                          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @_danielgurgel
                                          last edited by

                                          @_danielgurgel said in XCP-ng 8.1.0 beta now available!:

                                          @stormi plus this update?
                                          https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX269586

                                          That kernel update is already available on 8.1 indeed, through yum update.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • stormiS
                                            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @nikade
                                            last edited by stormi

                                            @nikade said in XCP-ng 8.1.0 beta now available!:

                                            Did anyone try VM export/import to see how much the performance has been improved?
                                            More interesting would be if someone tried it with 10G or making backups with XOA.

                                            Not yet but I'd be really grateful to anyone who could benchmark this!

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post