Categories

  • All news regarding Xen and XCP-ng ecosystem

    146 Topics
    5k Posts
    J
    @herhin2017 said: @john.c Your absolute wright, i do my best and train about 25 young engineers per year on linux (we use debian). I also see more and more startups or small companies building their infrastructure on linux. Best greetings from austria It may be worth getting in line and noting the mention of EFI based servers for official Vates support with XCP-ng version 9.0 and above, in government reports. That way when the school’s hardware is refreshed it can be ensured that your provided with EFI capable servers, in time for XCP-ng version 8.3 EOL. I personally are already ready for XCP-ng version 9.0 due to my servers being Dell PowerEdge R620 for XCP-ng hosts. Along with Debian version 13.6 on the VMs. While using a Dell Precision 3590 to manage those systems. The “wright” makes your above now sound like a wheel wright, and its profession instead of “right” in for when correct or agreeing with someone or something.
  • Everything related to the virtualization platform

    1k Topics
    15k Posts
    H
    Hi all, We have a production Windows Server 2012 R2 VM (SQL Server) that has crashed three times with the same bugcheck in xenvbd.sys. Looking for advice and for a safe download of the last 2012 R2-compatible tools. Environment XCP-ng 7.6.0 (yes, we know it's EOL; [OPTIONAL - keep or delete: a host refresh/upgrade is already being planned]. Right now we need a stopgap for this VM.) Storage: LVM over FC (HPE MSA 1040), multipath VM: Windows Server 2012 R2 (build 9600.18505), 8 vCPU, 64 GB RAM (static, dynamic min = max) PV drivers: Citrix xenvbd.sys 8.1.0.130 (old Citrix tools) Crashes (identical each time) 2026-06-17, 2026-09-01, 2026-10-08 BUGCHECK 0xD1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x18, 0x2, 0x1, xenvbd+0x8795) Write to NULL+0x18: lock xadd dword ptr [rcx+18h],eax with rcx = 0 Stack (from MEMORY.DMP): nt!KiRetireDpcList -> nt!KiExecuteAllDpcs -> xenvbd+0xf464 -> xenvbd+0x6f55 -> xenvbd+0xfecb -> xenvbd+0x8795 i.e. crash in a DPC, apparently in the I/O completion path. Context The VM ran with 16 GB RAM from 2023-09 to 2026-02 with zero crashes (no restarts at all in ~29 months). On 2026-02-06 RAM was raised to 64 GB (SQL max server memory 14 GB -> 48 GB). First crash 4 months later; intervals between crashes so far: 131, 76, 37 days. Host logs at the time of the last crash: no FC/SCSI/multipath errors. The only event on this VM's VDIs was one SMGC coalesce with a clean tapdisk pause/unpause about 12 minutes before the crash. Questions Is this a known xenvbd bug fixed in later versions (e.g. the 9.2.1 fix "A storage error can cause Windows VMs to crash", or the grant table exhaustion fix in 9.3.1)? A reply in the XSA-468 thread pointed to XenServer VM Tools 9.2.3 as the last version supporting 2012/2012 R2. Where can it be downloaded from an official source? downloads.xenserver.com only offers 9.6.0, and the same URL pattern for 9.2.3 returns 404. Could the RAM increase (16 -> 64 GB) plausibly trigger this with old xenvbd (grant tables, larger I/O)? Is there a workaround that doesn't require a driver update (e.g. a host-side setting)? We know 2012 R2 is EOL; we are looking for a safe stopgap. Thanks!
  • 3k Topics
    29k Posts
    poddingueP
    I tried this on my lab (with XO 6.9.1), moving the pool master to the other host with xe pool-designate-new-master and then back. XO stayed connected both times and picked up the new master, even though Settings > Servers still showed the old host's address; on the way back it took a minute or two to catch up. I didn't test 6.2.2, and I used the CLI rather than the XO 5 Advanced tab, so my guess that your older version is the difference is only a guess. For the XVA, I'm not aware of release notes for the appliance image itself: it updates itself after import, and the notes that exist are per XO version, in the monthly blog post and the changelog, both linked from https://docs.xen-orchestra.com/getting-started/releases#release-cadence-and-channels . How often the downloadable XVA gets rebuilt I don't know, so the 2025.12 tag may just be the date of the base image, but I'd rather ask than guess.
  • Our hyperconverged storage solution

    54 Topics
    824 Posts
    J
    @poddingue Turns out it is all secondary-to-secondary out of sync. So that makes it less intense, though if primary dies I wonder how it will resolve this, or if it will become split brained. Still unsure of how it happened, but the ones I manually cleaned up have not come back. Going to continue to manually clear them up. If it happens again I will have an alert setup to notify me, and I have all the xcp-ng logs and everything to be able to see what happened. If that happens I will post here with details and logs for the resource so we can see how it occurs. [image: image.jpeg]
  • 37 Topics
    136 Posts
    J
    @AtaxyaNetwork Merci pour tes recherches ! Oui "cd_label" serait cool comme ajout au plugin ce qui permet sur les distro type Fedora/Redhat de ne pas avoir de boot_command à gérer