XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Restoring from backup error: self-signed certificate

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Backup
    41 Posts 18 Posters 24.1k Views 19 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      StormMaster
      last edited by StormMaster

      I can confirm that in the community edition, something between 0ccfb4b and 8e5d9 breaks restoring to hosts with self signed certs.

      I had to try and restore a couple of VMs after the upgrade to 8e5d9 and despite a couple of attempts to compile previous commits and see if they would work, nothing did until I reached 0ccfb4b.

      Once I had rolled it back that far, the restores were no longer stuck at 0% and there were no problems restoring any of the backups that I tied.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • J
        john.c
        last edited by john.c

        Someone else on this forum is having trouble with self-signed certificates. So this issue must be more general than just self-signed certificates when restoring backups.

        It must be a bug introduced recently which is specifically when handling self-signed certificates generally.

        https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/8636/self-signed-cert

        Others with this issue is the link shown above similar to what you are experiencing with backup restoration?

        @florent Can you please check this out there may be a bug in Xen Orchestra which is affecting the handling of self-signed certificates generally? As it's affecting not just restoration of backups but also the creation of new VMs as well.

        bogikornelB 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • bogikornelB
          bogikornel @john.c
          last edited by

          @john-c
          "Someone else on this forum is having trouble with self-signed certificates. "

          Unfortunately, this function does not work either.

          márc 18 14:13:12 xoa xo-server[22559]: 2024-03-18T13:13:12.703Z xo:api WARN bogi.kornel | backupNg.importVmBackup(...) [184ms] =!> Error: self-signed certificate
          
          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            StormMaster
            last edited by

            For those finding this post and are using ronivay's XenOrchestraInstallerUpdater, the solution is as follows...

            Edit xo-install.cfg with your favourite editor.

            Look for the line...

            BRANCH="master"

            Comment it out and and on a new line add...

            #BRANCH="master"
            BRANCH="0ccfd4b"

            If you then run the script and choose 2) Update, it should work.

            Because I was in a hurry, I deleted the /opt/ox directory, put the SSL certs that were in it back, and then ran 1) Install so that I knew that I was certain that there were no conflicts with compiling and older version.

            But either method should work.

            M I B M 4 Replies Last reply
            Reply Quote 4
            • tjkreidlT
              tjkreidl Ambassador @KS
              last edited by

              @KS Did you try running "xe task-list" to identify the process and then "xe task-cancel force=true uuid=(UUID-of-process)"?

              ? 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • M
                Mt_KEGan @StormMaster
                last edited by

                @StormMaster thank you. This workaround did exactly what i needed.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • I
                  Ismail @StormMaster
                  last edited by

                  Thank you @StormMaster

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • A abudef referenced this topic on
                  • jontybrookJ
                    jontybrook
                    last edited by

                    Ditto the fix from @StormMaster worked for me - many thanks.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • ?
                      A Former User @tjkreidl
                      last edited by

                      @tjkreidl

                      The command "xe task-cancel force-true ..." with the uuid of the pending tasks did not do anything for me. After trying it on the 3 tasks I had, issuing a "xe task-list" still show me the pending tasks. It it only by rebooting the host that the pending tasks disappear.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • ?
                        A Former User
                        last edited by

                        Going back to an older version of XO source also did the trick for me.
                        I was in the process of pushing in production a couple VM that were previously in test and that I had backed up a couple of days ago. I was very surprised not to be able to do anything with these VMs stuck on my SR used for VM backup

                        tjkreidlT 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • tjkreidlT
                          tjkreidl Ambassador @Guest
                          last edited by

                          @utmoab Strange, but I've seen some tasks "stuck" that could not be cancelled for some reason or aanother. A reboot is a drastic measure, but unfortunate;y sometimes the only recourse.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • U
                            uwood
                            last edited by

                            I'm on commit 1b515 and the error still exists.

                            Pending tasks can be cancelled with "restart toolstack" on host.

                            nikadeN 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1
                            • nikadeN
                              nikade Top contributor @uwood
                              last edited by

                              The BRANCH="0ccfd4b" revert worked for me, backups are working again in the lab.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • B
                                Bub @StormMaster
                                last edited by

                                @StormMaster said in Restoring from backup error: self-signed certificate:

                                BRANCH="0ccfd4b"
                                This worked for me also, thank you.

                                But after this change, I have tried to run update few times but it seems my commits are falling behind and do not update to the latest.
                                Am I missing something?
                                0911f507-f21c-4a6f-8601-20ef120c5cf1-image.png

                                DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • DanpD
                                  Danp Pro Support Team @Bub
                                  last edited by

                                  @Bub said in Restoring from backup error: self-signed certificate:

                                  Am I missing something?

                                  No, you're "stuck" on commit 0ccfd4b until you revert the change in the config file. It doesn't make sense to do that now, because then you will encounter the issues with backups / restores again. Once a fix has been pushed to the Github repo, then you can switch back to the master branch.

                                  B D 2 Replies Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • B
                                    Bub @Danp
                                    last edited by

                                    @Danp Got you, thanks for the clarification!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • D
                                      dsiminiuk @Danp
                                      last edited by

                                      @Danp Is it safe to say this is being worked on? I don't want to assume anything.

                                      DanpD 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • DanpD
                                        Danp Pro Support Team @dsiminiuk
                                        last edited by

                                        @dsiminiuk I would assume so, but I don't know the specifics.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • MathieuM Mathieu referenced this topic on
                                        • M manilx referenced this topic on
                                        • M
                                          michmoor0725 @StormMaster
                                          last edited by

                                          @StormMaster
                                          I dont see a PR or even an issue posted on the github. I can add one to the board for ronivay unless someones working on it.

                                          S 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • S
                                            StormMaster @michmoor0725
                                            last edited by

                                            @michmoor0725 Sure!

                                            I don't think that it is a ronivay issue as it appears to be occurring with any self-signed certificate. Regardless of what was used to compile it.

                                            That said, if some people check there instead of here, it mays good sense to have something posted there as well. 😉

                                            A 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 1
                                            • U uwood referenced this topic on

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post