XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Imported VM Starts but Does Not Initialize the Display

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Xen Orchestra
    51 Posts 8 Posters 21.1k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • stormiS
      stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Guest
      last edited by

      @kagbasi-ngc Looks like we missed something, as the log indicates it loaded OVMF-release.fd:

      Dec 13 13:54:59 VMH01 xenguest-2-build[8345]: Loaded OVMF from /usr/share/edk2/OVMF-release.fd
      

      We'll come back to you with a better test procedure.

      For now I just have a quick and dirty one, consisting in overwriting the release file with the debug one:

      cp /usr/share/edk2/OVMF-debug.fd /usr/share/edk2/OVMF-release.fd
      

      You can revert this change with yum reinstall edk2.

      ? 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • ?
        A Former User @stormi
        last edited by

        @stormi Sorry for the delayed reply. I did as you requested, and below are the resulting log files. I started the VM at timestamp Dec 17 14:43:34 and stopped it about 2 minutes later.

        • daemon.log
        • xensource.log

        If I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask please. Thank you.

        stormiS 2 Replies Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • stormiS
          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Guest
          last edited by

          @kagbasi-ngc @Mefosheez We're trying to find developer time to diagnose the cause, but it's not the best time of the year, so I can't promise anything on delays.

          ? MefosheezM 3 Replies Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • stormiS
            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Guest
            last edited by

            @kagbasi-ngc Does your VM have a vTPM? If so, could you try without?

            ? 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • ?
              A Former User @stormi
              last edited by

              @stormi No worries at all, I understand.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • ?
                A Former User @stormi
                last edited by

                @stormi Yes it does. I just deleted the VTPM and tried starting it, but no success. Still the same issue - can't initialize the display.

                I also disabled Secure Boot, and got the same results.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • MefosheezM
                  Mefosheez @stormi
                  last edited by

                  @stormi thanks for the feedback. no rush here. just let me know if I can help.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • MefosheezM
                    Mefosheez @stormi
                    last edited by

                    @stormi I wanted to follow up. I saw a good number of patches available today, first updates since the issues started for me. I processed them, but this issue still seems persist.

                    I know this thread is about nested virt, and i don't want to derail that. this is where i had posted about the issue prior. I believe they are going to be tided to the same root. any help would be appreciated.

                    https://xcp-ng.org/forum/topic/10083/uefi-guests-not-loading-console?_=1734014269146

                    stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • stormiS
                      stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Mefosheez
                      last edited by

                      @Mefosheez I forwarded internally. Feel free to ask again after a week if no answer comes.

                      MefosheezM 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • MefosheezM
                        Mefosheez @stormi
                        last edited by

                        @stormi I marked it as a question about a week ago now. do you suggest making a new post as a question all together?

                        stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • stormiS
                          stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @Mefosheez
                          last edited by

                          @Mefosheez Marking a new post as a question will not be necessary. @anthonyper is the one working on what we think is the issue (a regression on the EDK2 package). I haven't heard of a fix yet, but it's in progress.

                          MefosheezM 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • MefosheezM
                            Mefosheez @stormi
                            last edited by

                            @stormi thank you for the update. and @anthonyper for taking a look.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • anthonyperA
                              anthonyper Xen Guru
                              last edited by

                              Hi @kagbasi-ngc, I believe I've got a fix for your current issue, do you want to give it a try? @Mefosheez it's probably going to work for you as well.

                              I've prepared an update, could you install it?

                              # Download repo file for XCP-ng 8.3
                              wget https://koji.xcp-ng.org/repos/user/8/8.3/xcpng-users.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/xcpng-users.repo
                              
                              # Update edk2
                              yum update --enablerepo=xcp-ng-aperard1 edk2
                              

                              Alternatively, the RPM is there: https://koji.xcp-ng.org/repos/user/8/8.3/aperard1/x86_64/Packages/edk2-20220801-1.7.7.1.0.enomemfix.1.xcpng8.3.x86_64.rpm

                              And if you are curious about the change, it's explained in there https://github.com/xcp-ng-rpms/edk2/pull/4

                              Cheers,

                              MefosheezM ? 2 Replies Last reply
                              Reply Quote 1
                              • MefosheezM
                                Mefosheez @anthonyper
                                last edited by

                                @anthonyper said in Imported VM Starts but Does Not Initialize the Display:

                                yum update --enablerepo=xcp-ng-aperard1 edk2

                                confirmed with ubunutu desktop 24.02 in uefi. i can confirm windows later today but this looks to be the fix. will this be folded into an upcoming release?

                                A 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • A
                                  Andrew Top contributor @Mefosheez
                                  last edited by

                                  @Mefosheez Does your host not have large HAP size?

                                  Please show the output from xl dmesg | grep HAP on your XCP host.

                                  MefosheezM 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • MefosheezM
                                    Mefosheez @Andrew
                                    last edited by

                                    @Andrew

                                    [08:30 xcp-r630 ~]# xl dmesg | grep HAP
                                    (XEN) [ 2.581645] HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging (HAP) detected
                                    (XEN) [ 2.584428] HVM: HAP page sizes: 4kB, 2MB, 1GB

                                    This is not something I have ever adjusted or set prior.

                                    A 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • A
                                      Andrew Top contributor @Mefosheez
                                      last edited by

                                      @Mefosheez @anthonyper If it solves the problem, then great!

                                      You can't set or change HAP, it's what the CPU chip supports. I was looking at the notes for the change and part of it is related to hosts that have small HAP sizes (ie, 4K, 2M, not 1G). As there are other updates in the same version the issues must have been fixed by a different part of the patch.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • ?
                                        A Former User @anthonyper
                                        last edited by [[global:former-user]]

                                        @anthonyper said in Imported VM Starts but Does Not Initialize the Display:

                                        yum update --enablerepo=xcp-ng-aperard1 edk2

                                        YES - you fixed it! Thank you!!!
                                        I tried the package and it worked - the VM started and was able to initialize the display and finish booting up. Glad you found the issue and I'm even more glad that it was my report that prompted you to look into this. This is a true testament to the power of this community.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 1
                                        • System has marked this topic as solved on
                                        • olivierlambertO
                                          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                                          last edited by

                                          @anthonyper so your fix is working 😄 Going in a next train of updates then 🙂

                                          ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • ?
                                            A Former User @olivierlambert
                                            last edited by

                                            @olivierlambert Awesome! Can't wait.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post