XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.3 betas and RCs feedback 🚀

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    792 Posts 89 Posters 2.8m Views 70 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • olivierlambertO
      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
      last edited by

      I suppose you cannot have any physical access to check on a screen?

      T 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • T
        ThierryC01 @olivierlambert
        last edited by

        @olivierlambert There is no physical screen attached to it. I am currently investigating the SSD that was booting CXP-ng. I am guessing it just died on me. Will update if I can read any data from it.

        • Any specific log I should look at if any available?
        • If I restart from scratch with a new disk, will I retrieve my VMs that are actually stored on other disks?
        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olivierlambertO
          olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
          last edited by

          1. kern.log, dmesg, the usual suspects.
          2. if you have a metadata backup yes. Otherwise, you'll need to re introduce the SR, and just have to recreate your VMs and attach the existing disks to it (and without the metadata info, if your disks are all the same size, it could take same some time to find who's who)
          T 2 Replies Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • T
            ThierryC01 @olivierlambert
            last edited by

            @olivierlambert I could access the SSD, filesystem was corrupted. I don't think I have a backup at hand just in case I would not be able to boot at all. What files could I transfer to get all my VMs back to normal after a clean install on a new disk?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • T
              ThierryC01 @olivierlambert
              last edited by

              @olivierlambert System restarted, not sure how to backup XCP-NG server side properly though. I ran a backup of XO metadata and pool parameters.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • olivierlambertO
                olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                last edited by

                XCP-ng pool metadata backup is exactly what you needed in that case 🙂

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • A
                  archw @stormi
                  last edited by

                  @stormi
                  FWIW...one of the boxes where I installed the latest updates (from a few days ago) did not autostart any of the VMs. I had to manually start each of them.

                  stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • X
                    XCP-ng-JustGreat
                    last edited by

                    Latest updates over ISO-installed 8.3 RC2 worked fine for me. I did experience one host in my three-host pool to which no VMs could be migrated. After looking at the networking from bash in DOM0, it showed that both 10G ports for the storage and migration networks were DOWN. These ports are on a genuine IBM-branded Intel X540-T2 card I bought used on eBay so it might have gone bad. Since the card has worked well for some time, I figured it couldn't hurt to re-seat it in the PCIe slot. Sure enough, that fixed it. Moral of the story: check the mundane stuff first; it's not always the fault of new updates.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 2
                    • olivierlambertO
                      olivierlambert Vates 🪐 Co-Founder CEO
                      last edited by

                      haha nice catch, PCI reseat is like black magic sometimes 😄

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • stormiS
                        stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @archw
                        last edited by

                        @archw and the other hosts did?

                        A 2 Replies Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • A
                          archw @stormi
                          last edited by

                          @stormi
                          Yes

                          I've not had a chance to reboot the host since then to see if something else is going on. Will do so tonight.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • T
                            TopoLogical
                            last edited by

                            Hi,

                            I'm currently testing our the RC2 with ceph backed rbd devices, which works perfectly for us on 8.2.1. After installation I tried to add an existing shared storage, without success. Then I tried to create a new one and ran into following problem. As you see I can create a volume group manually without a problem.

                            xe sr-create fails:

                            xe sr-create name-label="RC2StorageTest" shared=true type=lvm device-config:device=/dev/rbd0
                            Error code: SR_BACKEND_FAILURE_77
                            Error parameters: , Logical Volume group creation failed,
                            

                            vgcreate from commandline works:

                            vgcreate RC2StorageTest /dev/rbd0
                            Physical volume "/dev/rbd0" successfully created.
                            Volume group "RC2StorageTest" successfully created
                            

                            If I repeat the xe sr-create after manually creating a VG the VG will be removed by xe sr-create, but is still failing with the same error.

                            Any idea where to look to solve this issue?

                            T 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1
                            • A
                              archw @stormi
                              last edited by

                              @stormi
                              Just rebooted the problematic host. All the VMs autostarted just fine.

                              Odd!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • N
                                nomad @stormi
                                last edited by

                                @stormi I see plug-late-sr is available now. Just finished testing it. Looks like it works just fine.

                                thanks

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 2
                                • M
                                  mbven
                                  last edited by

                                  Somewhere between 8.3b2 and 8.3rc1 Windows 2016 was broken, where it immediately has a "kmode exception not handled" bluescreen on boot.

                                  I had to downgrade back to 8.3b2 for an existing VM. I can reproduce the failure on a clean install from 2016 Server Essentials, using the Windows server 2016 template. It installs ok until it reboots and see the bluescreen immediately on each boot.

                                  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=2195170&clcid=0x409&culture=en-us&country=US

                                  It still fails even with latest patches, which I believe is 8.3rc2.

                                  Any suggestions?

                                  F A 2 Replies Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • F
                                    flakpyro @mbven
                                    last edited by

                                    @mbven Strange we have a few Windows Server 2016 servers remaining that seem to be working since since the last batch of updates. I even tried to reboot one just to be sure. They are running "Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter". What CPU are your servers running? Any errors in xl dmesg when the crash occurs?

                                    M 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 1
                                    • A
                                      Andrew Top contributor @mbven
                                      last edited by

                                      @mbven I too have Windows Server 2016 (with 2024-09 updates) running on current 8.3 RC2...

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • M
                                        mbven @flakpyro
                                        last edited by

                                        @flakpyro Thanks for the feedback. Just tried the eval iso of Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and it spun up ok with latest xcp-ng patches.

                                        So it looks like it's a problem specifically with the Windows Server 2016 Essentials edition and 8.2rc1 and later.

                                        Unfortunately that's the edition that I'm licensed for and use. It's failed on both an Intel 12700k and a Xeon E3-1275v3 with the same blue screen message.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • xiscoX
                                          xisco
                                          last edited by

                                          After doing a yum update on one of my 8.3 RC1 server and rebooting, there were no ethernet cards detected.
                                          It happened from time to time in older versions of xcp-ng but after rebooting some times and doing emergency network reset worked fine before. This time it didn't.
                                          Finally I reinstalled RC2 from ISO.
                                          I have two HPE (ProLiant ML350 Gen10), and the master is the one showing this problem, the other one doesn't show this problem.
                                          Doing a yum update in the secondary server promoted to master worked as a charm.
                                          Any ideas?

                                          stormiS 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • stormiS
                                            stormi Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @xisco
                                            last edited by

                                            @xisco I'd wager it's not directly related to the updates, but rather to the reboot process and something (a bug? a hardware issue?) triggered by your specific setup.

                                            When you say no ethernet cards detected, do you mean even at the PCI level?

                                            xiscoX 1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post