XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    XCP-ng 8.3 updates announcements and testing

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved News
    697 Posts 58 Posters 709.3k Views 76 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Mitchel-APDM
      Mitchel-APD @semarie
      last edited by

      @semarie Hi,

      We are using SNMPv3 with SHA AES

      semarieS 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • semarieS
        semarie Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team XAPI & Network Team @Mitchel-APD
        last edited by

        @Mitchel-APD SHA1 ? I am looking if it is still supported/activated-by-default. I saw that 5.8 added SHA-2 family for RFC-7860 compliance

        semarieS 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • semarieS
          semarie Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team XAPI & Network Team @semarie
          last edited by

          SHA`is SHA1. so I assume it is that.
          And it seems to be still accepted in authProtocol parameter.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • semarieS
            semarie Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team XAPI & Network Team
            last edited by

            after testing (with net-snmp-utils 5.9.3), I have no problem with snmpv3 and SHA/AES.

            On my testing host, snmpd server (OpenBSD):

            • User: user1
            • auth: AES with password123
            • priv: AES with 321drowssap

            From XCP-ng 8.3, with net-snmp-utils 5.9.3:
            $ snmpbulkwalk -v3 -a SHA -A password123 -l authPriv -x AES -X 321drowssap -u user1 192.168.1.80

            so the net-snmp client itself seems fine with SHA/AES.

            could you share more elements ?

            Mitchel-APDM 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 1
            • Mitchel-APDM
              Mitchel-APD @semarie
              last edited by Mitchel-APD

              @semarie Hi,

              Thanks for your help, I just created the user with the net-snmp-create-v3-user command, and definded SHA-256.

              SNMP now works like before.

              net-snmp-create-v3-user -ro -A verrysecureauthenticationpassword-a SHA-256 -X verrysecureprivacypassword--x AES snmpusername
              
              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • A
                abudef
                last edited by

                Hi, it seems that shutting down the host is taking an extremely long time now. I tried it in two different environments; the shutdown process starts but gets stuck on the splash screen for several minutes before finally completing. There were no active virtual machines on the hosts being shut down.

                Does anyone have the possibility to test this in a lab? Thanks!

                gduperreyG R 2 Replies Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • gduperreyG
                  gduperrey Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @abudef
                  last edited by

                  @abudef I've updated and rebooted numerous hosts with these updates and haven't noticed any significant slowdowns.

                  Do you have any additional information in the logs?

                  A 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • M
                    MajorP93
                    last edited by

                    Can also confirm that I was able to apply this round of patches using rolling update method without any issues or slowdowns on a pool of 5 hosts.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 2
                    • A
                      abudef @gduperrey
                      last edited by abudef

                      @gduperrey Restart happens normally, without any noticeable delay, but shutdown takes a long time. Which logs should I specifically check?

                      (It's not a real issue, but I just needed to move servers in the lab and had to shut them down, so I noticed it.)

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • R
                        robertblissitt @abudef
                        last edited by

                        @abudef After the excitement from the last update cycle (see my post above from ~January 29), I kicked off a Rolling Pool Reboot this time before considering a Rolling Pool Update. During this RPR, the first host is currently hanging on its shut down right now after about 10 - 15 minutes as shown in the screenshot. I am running the previous most recent version of XCP-ng, again from January 29, 2026. I'll revisit installing these most recent updates once I get clean reboots. 🙂
                        1ce1d34e-2a48-42fc-943d-86b66c2fd596-image.jpeg

                        M G 2 Replies Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • M
                          manilx @robertblissitt
                          last edited by manilx

                          @robertblissitt Press ESC and you'll see what's happening

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • G
                            Greg_E @robertblissitt
                            last edited by

                            @robertblissitt

                            Normal for the pool master to take a bit longer but never seen 15 minutes before.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • gduperreyG
                              gduperrey Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                              last edited by

                              As explained, I haven't observed such a delay on our end during our testing.

                              As Maniix suggests, you can see what's happening by pressing "Esc" to see which step is taking longer.

                              From what I've heard internally, a common reason for this lengthy step is when a shared server was running on a VM and that VM was shut down. The host then takes a very long time to shut down or restart.

                              P 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • P
                                ph7 @gduperrey
                                last edited by

                                @gduperrey
                                In my homelab I've had the same problem for at least 18 month's
                                when shutting down the XO-VM it hangs for 2-3 minutes when it tries to umount the remotes

                                umount /run/xo-server/mounts/xxxxx (SMB and NFS)
                                umount /run/xo-server/mounts/yyyyy (SMB)
                                

                                I did report this in an earlier thread

                                M 1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • M
                                  manilx @ph7
                                  last edited by

                                  @ph7 This I can confirm, with XO VM.
                                  But discussion was about the host....

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • gduperreyG
                                    gduperrey Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team
                                    last edited by

                                    For XO, I suggest you start a separate thread.

                                    Regarding the host issue, without more details or information, it's difficult to say anything at the moment, especially since I haven't been able to reproduce it myself.

                                    R 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • R
                                      robertblissitt @gduperrey
                                      last edited by

                                      @gduperrey Absolutely understand. 🙂 I didn't now about the Escape key as Manilx mentioned. Next time, I will press Esc to see if there is any useful information and report it here. This was just new behavior and wanted to report it informally.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 1
                                      • A
                                        abudef
                                        last edited by abudef

                                        In my case, I gave the command to shut down all hosts, and the master "made it" first. The other hosts then got "stuck" at this point for a very long time:

                                        ad65b000-f778-4ce2-aba2-0ea120457691-image.jpeg

                                        EDIT: Apparently waiting for umount:

                                        2154dd7d-a1a4-4e82-a834-de4cd149041c-image.jpeg

                                        gduperreyG 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 1
                                        • gduperreyG
                                          gduperrey Vates 🪐 XCP-ng Team @abudef
                                          last edited by

                                          @abudef In case of a shutdown, I turn off the secondary servers first. Once they are off, I shut down the primary server. This ensures that if the secondary servers have information to send to the primary, they can do so, whereas otherwise, they can wait to shut down.

                                          In case of a pool reboot, I reboot the primary server first, and once it is accessible, I reboot the secondary servers.

                                          A 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 1
                                          • A
                                            abudef @gduperrey
                                            last edited by

                                            @gduperrey Of course, the order matters. Now everything seems to be clear.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 1

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post