XCP-ng
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    VDI_IO_ERROR(Device I/O errors) when you run scheduled backup

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Xen Orchestra
    66 Posts 11 Posters 41.4k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      shorian @tuxen
      last edited by

      @tuxen Target has plenty of space, over 5Tb free or about 20x the cumulative VM sizes. No NFS involved, it’s a locally mounted ext4 raid 1 array on the target box.

      If same backup takes place behind the firewall it runs successfully 95% of the time, across the WAN it fails 95% of the time. Both over a 1gbps link.

      Sometimes the failures clean themselves up, sometimes end up with a VM/disk marked [importing.....<backup name><VM name>] that need to be manually removed.

      Any help hugely appreciated.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • olivierlambertO
        olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
        last edited by

        Interesting. It's like the data stream is interrupted somehow for a bit and that's enough to trigger the issue.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • EddieCh08666741E
          EddieCh08666741
          last edited by

          i have similar issue like this too. I'm using ext4 and it was perfectly fine when i'm using 7.6. After upgrading to ext4 and 8.2 fresh install. The CR dont work anymore.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • EddieCh08666741E
            EddieCh08666741
            last edited by EddieCh08666741

            I just tried installing Xen Orchestra from the sources on Debian 11. The same CR works well.

            My previous Xen Orchestra from the sources ubuntu 18 having issue with VDI ERROR. Will do more testing.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • olivierlambertO
              olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
              last edited by

              Note: XOA is only the version distributed by Vates. Everything else is "Xen Orchestra from the sources" πŸ˜‰

              EddieCh08666741E 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • EddieCh08666741E
                EddieCh08666741 @olivierlambert
                last edited by

                @olivierlambert Thanks Corrected. I'm so happy for XCP-NG. I'm one of the early backers in Kickstarter. Hang the shirt up in our office.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 1
                • R
                  rauly94
                  last edited by Danp

                  Good Morning guys,

                  it looks like I'm having the same issue on a host that I'm doing replications. On the normal Delta Backups I'm not getting this error. But I'm getting it on the schedule Replication for only 1 of the vm's. Here is what comes on the log for that VM.

                  "id": "1679486747187",
                                "message": "transfer",
                                "start": 1679486747187,
                                "status": "failure",
                                "end": 1679487904889,
                                "result": {
                                  "code": "VDI_IO_ERROR",
                                  "params": [
                                    "Device I/O errors"
                                  ],
                                  "url": "https://192.168.2.11/import_raw_vdi/?format=vhd&vdi=OpaqueRef%3Aa5f60c35-64c2-497e-ae15-77aa63d14274&session_id=OpaqueRef%3A1593dbd0-4347-4dee-ad02-58ed84f6dbf6&task_id=OpaqueRef%3Aced050e9-1f49-4bbe-8b74-ef787d536d62",
                                  "task": {
                                    "uuid": "a7e3ba73-9d02-c211-48be-6a246828211c",
                                    "name_label": "[XO] Importing content into VDI HEALmycroft 0",
                                    "name_description": "",
                                    "allowed_operations": [],
                                    "current_operations": {},
                                    "created": "20230322T12:05:52Z",
                                    "finished": "20230322T12:25:03Z",
                                    "status": "failure",
                                    "resident_on": "OpaqueRef:259273e3-6fe1-4f9a-b688-ab0847cb81f8",
                                    "progress": 1,
                                    "type": "<none/>",
                                    "result": "",
                                    "error_info": [
                                      "VDI_IO_ERROR",
                                      "Device I/O errors"
                                    ],
                                    "other_config": {},
                                    "subtask_of": "OpaqueRef:NULL",
                                    "subtasks": [],
                                    "backtrace": "(((process xapi)(filename ocaml/xapi/vhd_tool_wrapper.ml)(line 77))((process xapi)(filename lib/xapi-stdext-pervasives/pervasiveext.ml)(line 24))((process xapi)(filename lib/xapi-stdext-pervasives/pervasiveext.ml)(line 35))((process xapi)(filename lib/xapi-stdext-pervasives/pervasiveext.ml)(line 24))((process xapi)(filename lib/xapi-stdext-pervasives/pervasiveext.ml)(line 35))((process xapi)(filename ocaml/xapi/import_raw_vdi.ml)(line 170)))"
                  
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • olivierlambertO
                    olivierlambert Vates πŸͺ Co-Founder CEO
                    last edited by

                    Device I/O error isn't a good sign. Check dmesg and the disk health.

                    R 2 Replies Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • R
                      rauly94 @olivierlambert
                      last edited by

                      @olivierlambert sorry to ask, but where should I do this at?

                      AtaxyaNetworkA 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • AtaxyaNetworkA
                        AtaxyaNetwork Ambassador @rauly94
                        last edited by

                        @rauly94 Hi !

                        You can type "dmesg" directly in your host.
                        You can check your disk's health with the command "smartctl", directly on the host too

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • R
                          rauly94 @olivierlambert
                          last edited by

                          @olivierlambert said in VDI_IO_ERROR(Device I/O errors) when you run scheduled backup:

                          dmesg

                          44519eed-ccdd-4d79-91f1-deea1c1d5013-image.png

                          that's what i got. I'm I doing it correctly.

                          The issue is happening on 1 VM. i tried doing a copy of the same vm and same error. just FYI

                          R 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • R
                            rauly94 @rauly94
                            last edited by

                            @rauly94 @AtaxyaNetwork

                            R 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • R
                              rauly94 @rauly94
                              last edited by

                              @rauly94 Hello everyone.
                              Anyone can help me on this issue. Now it started happening on 2 vm's instead of 1 vm. It is happening on the backup replication.

                              Error: VDI_IO_ERROR(Device I/O errors)This is a XenServer/XCP-ng error
                              Start: Jul 5, 2023, 09:03:18 AM
                              End: Jul 5, 2023, 09:44:46 AM
                              Duration: 41 minutes
                              Error: VDI_IO_ERROR(Device I/O errors)This is a XenServer/XCP-ng error

                              Start: Jul 5, 2023, 09:03:09 AM
                              End: Jul 5, 2023, 09:45:12 AM
                              Duration: 42 minutes
                              Error: VDI_IO_ERROR(Device I/O errors)This is a XenServer/XCP-ng error
                              Type: delta

                              M 1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 1
                              • DanpD Danp forked this topic on

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                              Register Login
                              • First post
                                Last post